Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Free Market page 13

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Capitalism also leads to entrepreneurship and innovation. You have to find a balance.
    Yes but I think it's oversold.

For one thing, the long-term technologies that lead to the marketable gadgets are usually government-funded. Nobody but the government has the resources or interest in doing the heavy lifting that will lead to this stuff.

And another: these innovations often lead people astray. "Yay for the free market, look at the neat stuff, let's rip up Glass-Steagal". IOW, look at Apple not at Goldman Sachs.

Keynes got it right, euthanize the rentiers.
    Last edited by Rojo; 09-23-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    What will remain is a place where refined oil or gasoline is very expensive, and is used mostly by the rich or for industrial purposes.
    I don't doubt that but I think we're going to hit several walls before we hit the oil wall. Global capital is losing consumers in the West faster than they can create them in China and India. The race-to-the-bottom keeps moving up the ladder. It used to be factory workers, then office workers, then professionals (never thought I'd see a time when lawyers can't find work), soon it will move up the corporations themselves.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @ Rojo

I no longer give a shit what you say, how much you could piss me off in the future, or this discussion.

You said "Glass-Steagal" in a sentence. I love you.

That is all.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

wiltondeportes Guest
    Lazarus,

Where do you think Weitko comes from? I see it as a belief of ultimate personal rights, similar to what you see from anarchists and simply constitutionalists (from all eras: 1700s-2000s). To a certain extent, possessions belong to everyone.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    So you're afraid that companies might all plot to always lower their prices, research more efficient technology, and grow their operations and jobs?
    Many destructive, bloated, unproductive monopolies once started as efficient companies that quickly gained dominance in particular industries.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    by marrying the nasty bitch monopoly on judgment and the lash
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

But to return to the origins of this side argument- you are concerned that in order to become or maintain a free market monopoly, that a company will keep lowering its prices, investing in new technology, and expanding its operations, right? Haha NOOOO! Save us!
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    But to return to the origins of this side argument- you are concerned that in order to become or maintain a free market monopoly, that a company will keep lowering its prices, investing in new technology, and expanding its operations, right? Haha NOOOO! Save us!
    They just have to be marginally better to outcompete. And once they get the monopoly, they don't have to be as good to maintain it.

I think that you are thinking in blocks like a 20th century SIM CIty planner; too much goes into production- so many collaborating vendor and labor and land-owner interests come together; the destructive and psycopathic tyranny bogey-man what-if'ing around in your mind is generally bad for so many different interests, all of whom have their own investments and concerns and powers capable of adapting with new competitions.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    They just have to be marginally better to outcompete. And once they get the monopoly, they don't have to be as good to maintain it.
    And once they start raising their prices or slacking on their quality control, another company (or more likely many other companies) will appear and undercut them.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast