Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My 21-Day Challenge Journal page 2

Warrahooyargh is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Just dropping by to offer encouragement on the 21-day challenge (I'm doing it too). You're right about noticing how much food is pre-packaged and manufactured - I can't believe how much space in supermarkets is devoted to that stuff, I had never really noticed it before.

celestylez is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrahooyargh View Post
    Just dropping by to offer encouragement on the 21-day challenge (I'm doing it too). You're right about noticing how much food is pre-packaged and manufactured - I can't believe how much space in supermarkets is devoted to that stuff, I had never really noticed it before.
    It's getting getting more challenging for me since I'm the only one in my grain and SAD eating household doing the challenge. How are you doing on the challenge?

DAY 10 JOURNAL Success score (1-10): 7
    Breakfast: Green smoothie
    Snack: banana with 2 dates
    Lunch: broccoli with 1 egg, 2 pieces of bacon, small serving of curry beef with carrots and potato, large coffee with almond milk and honey
    Pm Snack:
    Dinner: steamed Provençal salmon with lemon-butter sauce and side of asparagus

Workout:
    1. AM 1-hr cycling class
    2. Walk 30-min to and 30-min from gym

Mood: elated and focused
    DAY 10: Complete

Eating Environment
    Comments on setting: cluttered table
    Comments on distractions: TV
    Comments on pace: slow
    Hardest part: setting a nice table
    Best part:
    Comments:

Primal WOW Success score: 7
    Duration: 20 minutes total with extra running up and down stairs between cardio machines and calisthenics area
    Running distances (40 or 80m): 80m
    Pushups: 20 Squats: 50 Pullups: 5 assisted on machine Plank (time): 2 minutes
    Advanced Options: Not applicable
    Comments: I was surprised I was able to do 20 push-ups, 50 squats and plank time continuously with a lot of effort.

Email Fast
    Comments on morning correspondence period: only checked for 15 minutes... Mostly spam.
    Comments on afternoon correspondence period: none
    Suggestions implemented:
    Comments on fasting period: didn't bother me.
    Was your communication more efficient during correspondence period knowing your time was limited?
    Yes, brief and to the point.
    Did you notice any increased productivity during fasting period?: yes. Was able to focus more on activities of the day and was able to put more energy in making healthy meals
    Any decreased productivity during fasting period?: no
    Hardest part: none
    Best part: I was physically more active and focused
    How can you integrate the email fast concept into your daily workday? Using filters to flag only important emails that require immediate attention.
    Overall Comments: email is not an issue. More social media is my weak tech point.

Summary Comments
    Daily energy levels 1-10: 10
    Hunger level between meals 1-10: 0
    Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: 10
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: trying to figure out how/where to do the WOW.
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: no more water retention, no more bloat. Yay!
    Daily highlight(s): improved physical performance and increased stamina. Did I mention, looser clothes!
    Daily needs-to-improve: eating more food to support increased activities of daily living.
    Last edited by celestylez; 09-25-2013 at 07:48 PM.

DAY 11 JOURNAL Success score (1-10): 8
    Breakfast: green protein smoothie
    Snack:
    Lunch: bowl of kimchi with 2 homemade honey bison sausage
    Pm Snack: roasted laver seaweed
    Dinner: Jambalaya from Primal Blueprint Cookbook. OMG! So simple to make. Used humanely slaughtered free range chicken from my neighborhood butcher, green bell pepper and scallions from backyard garden and lots of cauliflower!
    After dinner dessert: 2 dates and 2tbsp raw sunflower seeds.

Workout:
    1. 3mph walking Duration: 2x 45 minutes Location: to and from gym with a few laps around park path.
    2. Elliptical Training Duration: 30 minutes minutes Location: gym
    3. 30 minute Total body strength training with focus on core.

Mood: energetic in the AM, sluggish after lunch and wired after dinner.
    DAY 11: Complete

Create a Primal Recipe: Skinless Sweet and spicy Buffalo/bison Sausage
    Recipe ingredients: 1/2 lb Ground Bison, 1 Tbsp Honey, 1 tsp ground raw sprouted chia, 1 tsp Minced Garlic, 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt, 1/2 tsp Pepper, 1/2 tsp Paprika.
    Recipe instructions: In a medium glass bowl, blend all dry ingredients into the bison until everything is incorporated. Add honey and vinegar and blend well with either a fork or knead repeatedly with one hand until all ingredients are completely blended.
    Roll into individual links and wrap with butcher paper, twisting each end to seal.
    Allow to cure inside a sealed container in the refrigerator for 2 days, then cook or freeze.
    To cook, unwrap links and simmer covered on medium low heat in 1/2 inch deep water and 1 tablespoon organic butter or coconut oil until all liquid evaporates. Sauté on medium heat to get a little caramelization.
    Serve with a vegetable dish. Also great for breakfast over steam cauliflower and eggs over-easy for topped with a little relish made from onion, bell pepper and mashed garlic marinated in vinegar, salt and pepper with a dash of honey.
    Yield: 6 links
    Hardest part: none. Very easy to make.
    Best part: Primal friendly buffalo/Bison Longanisa
    Proposed revisions (if necessary): I would add a tablespoon of minced organic butter and maybe 1 tsp of primal friendly Worcestershire sauce in the raw mix to prevent drying.
    Comments:

Moderate Duration Aerobic Workout
    Activity: 3mph walking Duration: 2x 45 minutes Location: to and from gym
    Activity: Walk around the park path for 2 laps.
    Activity: Elliptical Training Duration: 30 minutes minutes Location: gym
    Comments:

Work Peak Performance
    Increased productivity/reduced stress from to-do list exercise: it keeps me organized and focused. It's already habit.
    Drawbacks/increased stress from to-do list exercise: it doesn't allow for flexibility or room for interruptions thereby causing stress.
    Hardest part: dealing with unscheduled interruptions. Or scheduling interruptions ;-)
    Best part: I love lists.
    Elements you can integrate into typical workday: make room for flexibility to accommodate interruptions and unplanned changes.
    Overall comments:

Summary Comments
    Daily energy levels 1-10: 8, 15-minute power nap after lunch while reading Primal Blueprint Book.
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: needed to nap
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: I'm no longer bloating or retaining water! Even my footwear, shoes, flipflops and socks are now lose. :what:
    Daily highlight(s): eureka moment! No more swollen extremities. Perhaps no more inflammation? We will see!
    Daily needs-to-improve: eat more. I'm still below 1200 calories per day, which according to myfitnesspal app, is too low to support my daily increased activity. But I'm not hungry! So confused...
    Last edited by celestylez; 09-26-2013 at 07:10 PM.

It sounds like you're making great progress and learning a lot on the way! I'm digging your daily journal style. Probably because I also adore lists.
    Madam von Sassypants is journaling and shiz.
    Frequently found there: links to delicious recipes, overenthusiasm, swear words, constant conflict from working for a craft brewery, and overall, the perspective of a lady who's been primal for over two years and is finally tackling an 18-month-old plateau.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofbaconandeggs View Post
    You'll never get a coupon for steak or aspargus, but you'll get them for all boxed food.
    Even the if they did give coupons, supermarket steak and asparagus are unappetizing...based on mainstream industrial farming techniques, plus that you don't know how long it's been sitting in the grocer's case. EeeeYuck! oMG, I sound like a snob.
    Last edited by celestylez; 09-26-2013 at 07:09 PM.

DAY 12 JOURNAL Success score (1-10): 8

Breakfast: Green Smoothie
    Snack: strawberry and banana protein shake
    Lunch: Mediterranean Lamb with hot sauce over green salad with tomato and yogurt sauce
    Pm Snack: 3dates and1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
    Dinner: green protein smoothie with organic power greens, wild blueberries, organic pineapple and organic strawberries, a scoop of sprouted chia powder

Workout:
    1. 1-hr cycling/spin class
    2. PEM Workout

Mood: sore but energized
    DAY 12: complete

Primal Recipe, Part 2 (if applicable):
    Changes made:
    Comments:

Go Coco-nuts
    Products used: coconut milk and coconut oil for a Mild Beef Rendang I didn't eat for dinner because I was too full from smoothie.
    Elements you will integrate into diet long-term: a return to coconut and its products.
    Hardest part: finding coconut flour close by, craving for coconut pancakes when I saw the recipe on Primal Blueprint Cookbook.
    Best part: adding more coconut since it has always been part of my diet growing up.
    Comments:

PEM Workout
    Success score: 7 Location: home Duration: 15 minutes
    Reps completed:
    Pushups set 1:10 set 2: 10
    Squats set 1: 25 set 2: 25
    Pullups set 1: Barely 1 set 2: barely 1
    Plank (time) set 1: 1 minute set 2: 1 very shaky minute
    Comments: very sore from working out last night. Obliques very sore.

Nurture Your Intimate and Social Circles
    Intimate circle connections: husband who's been my friend since grade school and my 2 best friends I've known for 20+ years
    Social circle connections: best friends' spouses, my husband's friends
    Hardest part: keeping in touch with my best friends
    Best part: we are always connected through phone and email! plus social networking sites.
    Elements to integrate into lifestyle long-term: call close friends at every month
    Comments:

Summary Comments
    Daily energy levels 1-10: 8
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: PEM with sore muscles, still can't do a full unassisted pull up
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: getting groggy when I hear crickets sing at twilight
    Daily highlight(s): when someone asked me if I ever took a break from being active.
    Daily needs-to-improve: learn to rest when sore.
    Last edited by celestylez; 09-27-2013 at 07:59 PM.

DAY 13 JOURNAL Success score (1-10): 8
    Breakfast: 3 perfectly boiled eggs, 4 pcs of local organic bacon and a large bowl of steamed organic broccoli.
    Snack:
    Lunch: 2 bananas, 1/4 of a tuna sandwich with mesclun and tomato minus the ciabatta bread.
    Pm Snack: 2 pcs turkey bacon and 1/2 a fried egg
    Dinner: 1 leg 1 thigh fried chicken skin on, a small bowl of pickled bitter melon.

Workout/activity:
    1. 30 minute Sun walk plus 3-hr volunteering: clearing weed overgrowth and planting some wild ginger

Mood: surprisingly calm and content
    DAY 13: Complete

Top Of Spectrum
    Products acquired:
    Meat: whole organic farm raised chicken, bacon and ground bison location: neighborhood butchers
    Eggs: still had some regular eggs the fridge location:
    Fish: salmon steaks location: local Asian market
    Macadamia nuts: couldn't find organic location: n/a
    Extra-virgin olive oil: bertolli location: in the pantry
    Dairy products: organic butter and cheese location: wholesale club
    Indulgences: couldn't find good 75% chocolate location:
    Describe the budget impact: expensive!
    Hardest part: finding everything in one place at an affordable price
    Best part: quality food is better than
    Purchases you can sustain long-term: buying organic butter and eggs from wholesale club and meats from local butchers
    Purchases unrealistic to sustain long-term: fish sources.
    Next best choice to sustain long-term: large bags of frozen organic veggies from wholesale club seems like a good compromise since I'm not close to a farm or a farmers market. CSA subscription is too expensive for right now.
    Comments:

Moderate Duration Aerobic Workout
    Activity: Sun walk plus volunteering clearing weed overgrowth and planting some wild ginger
    Duration: 3 hours
    Comments:

Get Adequate Sunlight
    Was today an appropriate day to get some sun exposure?: yes
    Minutes of exposure: 180 minutes Parts of body: face, neck and arms
    Hardest part: none. Beautiful weather today. Only wish I could have gone barefoot instead of the minimal closed toe footwear we were required to wear! And having to uproot some young mulberry plants that would have been great for paper making. And the lunch we were served had bread...
    Best part: Sun exposure for a cause, plus I got a free sweat-wicking T-shirt I can workout in!
    Suggestions you can integrate long-term: find more outdoor volunteer activities.

Summary Comments
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: none
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: boundless energy despite lingering muscle soreness!
    Daily highlight(s): felt very primal today. I walked slowly, chopped down some knot weeds, lifted some heavy(plant refuse-filled black contractor bags)things and got some sun for a good cause!
    Daily needs-to-improve: get better food sources.
    Last edited by celestylez; 09-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.

DAY 14 JOURNAL Success score (1-10): 8
    Breakfast: 1 egg and 1 sausage, large cup of coffee with honey and nondairy creamer
    Snack: 2 dates and a handful of sunflower seeds
    Lunch: Salmon with big bowl of Spinach with mushrooms and sesame ginger dressing and 4 extra pats of butter to gear up for the long walk.
    Pm Snack: hot chocolate
    Dinner: a tall glass of coconut water. Wasn't hungry.

Workout/Activity
    5+ mile sun walk around the city

Mood: Energetic and relaxed at the same time
    DAY 14: Complete

Sweet Spot Calculations
    Daily protein grams: 42
    Daily carb grams: 128
    Daily fat grams: 73
    Total calories: 1342
    Areas to improve: increase total protein intake.
    Worst part of results: low protein vs high carb today because of hot chocolate indulgence.
    Best part: increased caloric intake to better support increased activity.
    Comments: found 70+% chocolate... Yay!

Rest Day
    Comments: rested from exercise but took a leisurely walk for 5+ miles without realizing how far I managed to get. It was relaxing as I was taking family around sightseeing on foot! so it felt like play, instead of exercise.

Summary Comments
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: low protein intake.
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: high energy... Even at 1130pm, still not tired.
    Daily highlight(s): played today.
    Daily needs-to-improve: choose indulgences better.

Week 2 Reflections
    Week 2 success score: 8
    Days 1-14 success score: 7
    Discuss how you addressed your needs-to-improve list from week 1: learned the meaning of play and played somewhat by volunteering to a local cleanup endeavor including weeding and gardening plus hauling refuse, hitting each point of walking slowly, sun exposure and lifting something heavy sometimes.

Diet success score: 9
    Comments on diet challenges: finding clean food within walking distance

Exercise success score: 9
    Comments on exercise challenges: although still can't do unassisted pull ups, I am able to complete push-ups, squats and planks plus my gradual departure from chronic exercise.

Lifestyle success score: 10.
    Comments on lifestyle challenges: I love my am walks, saving for vibram barefoot footwear, learning to slow life down a little bit and becoming more in tuned with my body and my relationship with the environment around me.
    Weekly highlight(s): knees don't hurt anymore neither do my feet sweep after very long walks, plus energy and loose clothes and even footwear!!!

Weekly needs-to-improve: minimize chronic exercise
    What specific steps can you take to address your needs-to-improve list? Following the primal rules on exercise more closely and learning to slow life down.
    Overall comments on week 2: my knees don't hurt anymore and no more swollen feet and ankles, plus more energy.
    Last edited by celestylez; 09-29-2013 at 08:49 PM.

DAY 15 JOURNAL Success score (1-10): 5
    Breakfast: broccoli with 2 sausages
    Snack: none
    Lunch: none
    Pm Snack: none
    Dinner: chicken stir fry, fried anchovies and a side of homemade pickled sliced cucumbers

Workout:. NONE

Mood: exhausted & sleepy
    DAY 15: Partially complete

Intermittent Fast #1
    Duration: 11.5 ours Start time: 8:30 am End time: 8:00 pm
    Hardest part: none Best part: loved the quiet time
    Comments:

Mark’s Favorite Primal Workout - will try this again tomorrow.
    Success score: 0
    Distance chosen for arch/spider and bunny/lunge: 0 couldn't figure out how to do it and was very exhausted today
    Pushup style: normal Reps: 0
    Pullup reps: 0
    Stairs or skipping: 0 Describe:
    Plank time: 0
    Sprint distance chosen: 0
    Squat reps: 0
    Comments: too exhausted. Lacked the usual energy to do any workout.

Cave Time
    Duration: 60 minutes
    Where did you go? bedroom
    Hardest part: Not watching tv or checking my electronics
    Best part: rested and napped hoping to alleviate zapped energy levels
    Comments:

Summary Comments
    Daily energy levels 1-10: 5
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: my body refused to get up and go. Had a few minutes of sun time sans the walk.
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: none. Still feeling exhausted almost flu-like. Aching joints, feverish and sluggish. Could this be burnout?
    Daily highlight(s): None
    Daily needs-to-improve: walk more and play.
    Last edited by celestylez; 09-30-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast