Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warrahooyargh's 21-day challenge journal page

Warrahooyargh is offline Junior Member

Smile Warrahooyargh's 21-day challenge journal

Primal Fuel
    Hello!

I discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and have been dabbling in primal bits and pieces since then, so now's the perfect time to give the 21-day challenge a go.

I have been doing CrossFit for just over a year, but have still managed to put on weight (after an initial loss), so evidently my very conventional western-style diet needs work. I recently started Couch to 5k as well, but it has turned out to be too much alongside CrossFit, and I have had to give it up - chronic cardio, anyone?

The most drastic lifestyle change I'm making is reintroducing meat to my diet as of today, after many years as a vegetarian. I think that way I'll be giving Mark's ideas a really fair trial. I've been reading up about food labelling today, and what it means in terms of animal welfare, organic/non-organic status, etc. I've already discovered that one of the supermarkets in town is much better than the other for local/organic/humanely reared stuff, and we're lucky enough to have a really good health food shop for some of the more unusual food items.

As I said, I've already been experimenting for a couple of weeks now, and I hope I'm over the worst of the "carb flu". I'm actually quite relieved to discover that carb flu is "a thing", as I've definitely felt under par for a few days. I seem to be getting better at the moment.

I'm now approaching the end of day one - so far, so good! Just have to wind down nicely with a little TV, then some reading (the computer is off-limits until tomorrow morning once I finish this post), then bed.

Good luck to everyone else who's doing the challenge!

elocin is offline Junior Member
    Good luck with the challenge. I'm starting today too. I'll be really curious to follow your progress since it's a big change from a vegetarian lifestyle. Read some of the posts about Carrie and her family if you haven't yet. Good stuff on the vegetarian perspective.

-Nicole

Day two completed:

Weight 70kg in the morning.

Breakfast: Bacon, egg, mushrooms, couple of sun-dried tomatoes, fried in olive oil. Full English brekker is primal already!
    Lunch: Fish (river cobbler, I don't know either) fried in olive oil with greens and carrots, strawberries (locally grown!) and cream.
    Afternoon pre-gym snack: A little dried coconut, plus Fage Greek yoghurt, strawberries and a little almond butter.
    Dinner: Fried tempeh (there were meant to be green beans too but they were incredibly tough and inedible, not buying that particular type again), followed by banana, apricots, Greek yoghurt.
    Drinks: Decaff coffee/tea with soya milk (not really primal, but I'm using up a carton).

My insides have been slightly upset the last couple of days, so I had a "light" Yakult. I was going for a probiotic of some sort but the supermarket is very confusing on this front, so I bought Yakult and hoped for the best. Guts improving.

CrossFit in the evening, with plenty of throwing heavy things around. I've lost quite a bit of strength recently, perhaps due to over-training, and am curious to see if a primal diet helps with that.

I'm wondering if tinned fruit is OK for primal. Kent, in spite of being the Garden of England, can be strangely fruit-challenged and it'd be nice to have a bit of variety. Does rinsing off any juice or syrup from the tin make it acceptable?

DAY 3:

Breakfast: Bacon, egg, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, Greek yoghurt with a little double cream and choc protein powder
    Snack: Dried coconut, tea with soya milk (not primal, but I'm finishing a carton I had open)
    Lunch: Turkey fillet with carrots, one orange
    Pm Snack: Green olives with sweet pepper and basil, few macadamias
    Dinner: Sirloin steak and cauliflower, blueberries with cream

Workout: Walk in the sun to the shops through a nice green part of town

Mood: Good

Summary Comments:
    Daily energy levels 1-10: 7
    Hunger level between meals 1-10: 3
    Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: 8
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: Getting humanely reared/locally produced food
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: less ups and downs energy-wise during the day
    Daily highlight(s): Mental and physical co-ordination needed for my job much improved this week
    Daily needs-to-improve: Sourcing of organic/humane food - will investigate other supermarkets and farmers' market

After a few days of "carb flu" during which I struggled with my job because I didn't feel alert enough, I seem to have recovered and am really pleased to be back on track. I'm feeling pretty good and am looking forward to the rest of the challenge. I didn't sleep particularly well last night as I woke up about 3.00 am, which has been a pattern lately. Although I've been powering down and getting ready to rest in the evenings, I think I might actually be going to bed a bit too early, so I'll try going half-an-hour later this evening and see what happens.

Are your summary comments a standard thing around here or did you come up with that? Because it's brilliant! Mind if I crib it?

andreoilin is offline Member
    Agreed, the summary comments are a great idea for keeping track of how things are going. I just might ideanap them for my own journal, if that's okay!

Welcome and good luck. I'm fairly new to this too, so, cheers!

Hi folks - no problem if people use the summary comments idea, I nicked it myself from someone else's journal and I think they may even be from a template suggested by Mark!

My day 4:

Breakfast: Bacon, egg, fresh tomatoes, dried coconut, coffee with milk (finishing a bottle I bought before I realised it was a no-no)
    Snack: Olives with basil and red pepper
    Lunch: Mixed salad leaves, avocado, green pepper, tomatoes, turkey, cashews, olive oil/vinegar dressing, blueberries with Greek yoghurt
    Pm Snack: Macadamias and almonds, tea with milk - also later pre-gym snack of choc protein powder shake with a banana and almond butter
    Dinner: Sirloin steak, cauliflower, carrots, followed by Greek yoghurt and grapes

Workout: CrossFit in the evening including shoulder press, front squat and hang powerclean

Mood: Content

Summary Comments
    Daily energy levels 1-10: 8
    Hunger level between meals 1-10: 3
    Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: 8
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: Poor weather, so not enough sun although I did go for a walk
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: Seemed to have more stamina for the CF WOD
    Daily highlight(s): Weight has dropped to 69kg, also didn't need an afternoon nap
    Daily needs-to-improve: Still need to find better food sources, will continue to investigate.

Tomorrow is an "easy movement" day, so I might wander further afield to investigate supermarkets/shops. I'm planning a hike in the countryside for Saturday and my first sprinting session for Sunday. I'm not a natural runner at all, and only last week during a CF WOD I started pumping my arms while running for the first time (having previously let my legs do all the work) and wow, it felt so different! I'm looking forward to trying it again this weekend.

terijr is offline Senior Member
    Great going! Crossfit is something I want to try but I need to lose more weight before I begin.

I wouldn't worry too much about needing to lose weight before you start CrossFit. A lot of the promotional stuff about CF, e.g. YouTube videos, features the fittest, leanest people but it's perfectly possible to get involved if you're heavier than you'd like. All the exercises can be scaled to suit your ability and good CF trainers will help you figure out how to do that - when I started, I did my weightlifting with a broom handle and did my squatting with my heels balanced on weights because I couldn't get right down!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    DAY 5:

Breakfast: Greek yoghurt with choc protein powder and almond butter, decaff coffee with milk
    Snack: None
    Lunch: Mixed leaf salad, avocado, green pepper, green olives, tinned tuna, cashews, walnut oil/vinegar dressing, grapes
    Pm Snack: Dried coconut, then later some Greek yoghurt with choc protein powder as I knew I'd be having dinner late
    Dinner: Chicken breast cooked in olive oil, with broccoli and carrots. Red wine and dark chocolate o'clock!

Workout: Walk over to neighbouring town to investigate shopping options.

Mood: Relaxed

Summary Comments
    Daily energy levels 1-10: 8, far less ups and downs than before I started on Primal
    Hunger level between meals 1-10: 4
    Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: 9
    Struggles today with Primal efforts: Cloudy weather, so didn't get any sun. This is always a problem for me as I have seasonal affective disorder, but I can at least make an effort to get outside, which helps.
    Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: I feel less anxious than I have for a long time. Primal living or placebo effect? Time will tell.
    Daily highlight(s): Realising I feel happier than usual about life. Also finding a supermarket with a good supply of goods.
    Daily needs-to-improve: I'd like to sleep better, as I am often waking up at around 3.00 am for an hour or so. Will look into that.

So I found a supermarket in the next town over with a good range of organic stuff. (They sell some really weird fruits and veggies too - samphire, anyone?) I'm really looking forward to a hike in the countryside tomorrow - I was originally going to go Sunday but the local train company are shutting down my local station for engineering work then so I've brought it forward. Time to experiment with food to eat al fresco and resist the temptations of railway station food stalls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast