Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Employers today - what is going on? page 4

lindacat is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    To all the people who suggested I find a different job yes, this is an option BUT at age 64, the chances of anyone hiring me are slim to none. IT companies are just not willing to hire someone for a full time job who may be retiring in a few years anyway. That is just the reality of the job market now, whether you all want to accept that or not.
    Because I cannot afford to NOT have a job, I have made the choice to stay here for as long as I can. I understand that is my choice, and I accept that I was merely asking why some employers all seem to be working their employees to death these days!!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    IT companies are just not willing to hire someone for a full time job who may be retiring in a few years anyway.
    What about contract work?

I don't do well in a corporate setting, so I have always done well working for small business. I also had 3 part time jobs at one point. Yeah, you lose benefits, but a lot of places pay their part time or contract workers better, and treat you very well.

You do end up having to pay your own health insurance, which as long as you are healthy.... is not a bad thing. Until, of course, October, when being insurers can no longer give healthy people a far better rate than unhealthy people. You'd probably have a year of big premiums (doesn't medicare kick in at 65?).

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lindacat View Post
    To all the people who suggested I find a different job – yes, this is an option – BUT at age 64, the chances of anyone hiring me are slim to none. IT companies are just not willing to hire someone for a full time job who may be retiring in a few years anyway. That is just the reality of the job market now, whether you all want to accept that or not.
    Because I cannot afford to NOT have a job, I have made the choice to stay here for as long as I can. I understand that is my choice, and I accept that – I was merely asking why some employers all seem to be working their employees to death these days!!
    You are absolutely right.

You may find work at a university. They don't pay well, but they seem less concerned with screwing people over.

I sometimes foresee a world where all us tech people are forced to work via mechanical turk and compete with people in third-world countries. It's a dead-end job like most jobs nowadays. The best job is probably plumber or something like that.

By the way, I put 30% of my income into retirement because I see the handwriting on the wall. I used to put in more, but I bring home less than I used to working part-time and I'm slowly eating my rainy-day savings (literally if I buy grass-fed meat.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    To all the people who suggested I find a different job – yes, this is an option – BUT at age 64, the chances of anyone hiring me are slim to none.
    It gets old, doesn't it. And it doesn't what the Unemployment rate is, always the same answer:
    "don't like your job, quit!" Do the people who say this have a wealthy spouse or trust fund? I'm about two months of unemployment away from ruin.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    And also I strongly recommend bankruptcy for anyone carrying a dischargeable debt load. America's bankruptcy laws are one of the few ways we commoners get a break. Even if it's just a little debt, file the papers and viola, debt gone, you can begin saving.

Another thread mentions fear-mongering, your credit score is a big way they keep you in fear. Everyone's got some number that they're supposed to cherish or fear. "Hi I'm a TRW 720". "Nice to meet you I'm a Transunion 680". Bah.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    To all the people who suggested I find a different job – yes, this is an option – BUT at age 64, the chances of anyone hiring me are slim to none. IT companies are just not willing to hire someone for a full time job who may be retiring in a few years anyway. That is just the reality of the job market now, whether you all want to accept that or not.
    Because I cannot afford to NOT have a job, I have made the choice to stay here for as long as I can. I understand that is my choice, and I accept that – I was merely asking why some employers all seem to be working their employees to death these days!!
    The average American family today earns a little less, in the number of dollars (nominal dollars) than the average American family did in 1989. That means there has been no GDP growth for the average American in the last 24 years, almost a quarter of a century. But in real dollars (adjusted for inflation), the average American family (or individual) earns about 1/3rd less than in 1989. So, to earn what you did in 1989 the family or individual has to work about 1/3 more hours. 40 hours plus 1/3 is 53.2 hours. From this point of view it's the economy that's doing it to you, not the company you work for.

From your company's point of view the same thing is happening to them. You said your previous management was replaced. In order to do that your company must have a board of directors unrelated to the owners, which means your company is probably a large corporation. Your previous management was probably replaced because they were not maintaining or increasing the company's profit level in real dollars and in hope that a new management team would do better. This is assuming that you work for a private (non-government funded) company.

If you worked for a government funded company, such as a University, you'd probably not be working longer hours, but you'd still be earning less nominal dollars and 1/3 less in real dollars.

TheyCallMeLazarus wrote in the fear thread:
    "I can trade my own currency where I live, and barter can be used to get just about anything. (I didn't pay for much of my own construction materials for my home, as an example. I agreed to supply him use of my land, logging rights, and free medical care to his extended family)."
    She's the only person here so far that has mentioned taking any action. Barter(trade) for equivalent real commodities (including labor) today is one of the few ways to maintain your standard of living or real income level.

The dollar is depreciating much faster than the economy as a whole can adjust to at any given time. Therefore, when you accept dollars in return for your labor or work you always loose.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 09-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234