Thread: Exercise program [with bad hips] page

greenporter is offline Junior Member

Exercise program [with bad hips]

Shop Now
    I went LCHF three months ago and recently shifted focus to follow the PB path. I have been engaged in Whole30 for a week so for the now dairy, booze and 90% chocolate is history.

I want to devise an exercise program suitable for me. My main problem now is that I need and will get (after I lose 30+ lbs) double hip replacement and walking has been a "pain in the ass" so to speak. More precisely, it is a combination of sciatica, restricted leg motion (my stride is very short now) and pain/discomfort in my groin area when I walk. Fortunately, some of these symptoms have subsided a bit since I started Whole30 and droppped ?dairy?

Still, I feel I am not in a position to do squats or sprints although that's exactly what I was doing 6 years ago. Any thoughts or reading recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Jim

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenporter View Post
    I went LCHF three months ago and recently shifted focus to follow the PB path. I have been engaged in Whole30 for a week so for the now dairy, booze and 90% chocolate is history.

I want to devise an exercise program suitable for me. My main problem now is that I need and will get (after I lose 30+ lbs) double hip replacement and walking has been a "pain in the ass" so to speak. More precisely, it is a combination of sciatica, restricted leg motion (my stride is very short now) and pain/discomfort in my groin area when I walk. Fortunately, some of these symptoms have subsided a bit since I started Whole30 and droppped ?dairy?

Still, I feel I am not in a position to do squats or sprints although that's exactly what I was doing 6 years ago. Any thoughts or reading recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Jim
    Hey Jim,

I'm not sure exactly what your limitations are buddy but I'd look into doing slow training.

What Do We Know? What Don’t We Know? | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Hi OldSchool and thanks for your reply. As for limitations at this point...

- Can't run, that just doesn't work. Maybe that will change in 20+ lbs but at 208# and no cartilage in my hips... It's like I have lost a lot of strength in my legs so even stair climbing is a challenge.
    - Can't squat at all and I have very limited motion in my legs. For instance, tying my shoes is a challenge, cutting my own toe nails isn't an option.
    - Need to be careful about the amount of extra load I put on my hips.

On the other hand, it feels like a lot of the inflammation in my groin and hip area I have been experiencing (progressively) for a couple years has subsided markedly over the past week since I cut out dairy, alcohol and chocolate for Whole30. Friday, for instance, I purchased and carried a solid bookcase weighing maybe 50# a quarter mile. I was tired by it but not hurting.

I am in no hurry. I just want to rebuild strength, fitness and health in keeping with this lifestyle.

randomcapitals is offline Senior Member
    Hi Greenporter, I have bad a bad hip too, though nowhere near as bad as yours. Still I understand that on some days the joints seize up and movement isn't an option. Perhaps you could focus on developing an upper body program. If you have a pool nearby I found walking in warm water helped a lot when I was really bad. Hope things improve for you soon.

Yes, an upper body program with some types of legwork, like extensions. Swimming is great and I do it in the summer but I presently have no indoor pool to go to. Looking for a good source of info on a PB program for upper body.