Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good or Bad is White Rice? page

Mahewa is offline Banned

How Good or Bad is White Rice?

Where I live, white rice is one of the basic and cheap food items that is used in almost all meals. It is very hard to find other types of rice except for the normal white.

As I am exposed to white rice daily, it is very hard to avoid.

Could anyone inform me about the positive and negative side of eating rice?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    White rice is my number one food for carb up days when I'm serious about powerlifting. I think it's easily digested and has very few antinutrients compared to other grains. Never had a problem even after being primal for months.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    White rice, all things considered, is not the worst thing you could eat. It's just a load of empty calories, and is rather high on the GI, but there are certainly worse vices you could have. I suppose it would be alright to eat in small amounts, if you must. It won't kill you, and is certainly better than most any other grain. So I say go ahead, but I would be careful about eating to much of it, unless you are a big weight lifter, or something.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I thought white rice was moderate GI; I don't know what the Glycemic Load information on NutritionData means. If I HAVE to eat grain, white rice is it. But yeah, it's just an empty filler - something to soak up that last bit of gravy rather than a nutritious component of your meal.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    It's not terrible, but it's pretty much just empty starch. You're better off with potatoes, which at least come with a decent amount of micro-nutrients and protein. Or quinoa.

And really, what do you trust more: heavily processed rice, or a spud that you pull out of the ground and cram in your mouth?
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 06-05-2010 at 05:45 PM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Godzilla is offline Senior Member
    I thought green bananas was the staple in Samoa.

Ok, I'm confused. I thought white rice was not as good as other rices?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Syracusedoula View Post
    Ok, I'm confused. I thought white rice was not as good as other rices?
    It's the 'cleanest' one in terms of antinutrients and gluten, but it's also nothing but empty calories.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I think white rice is much less offensive than ANY of the other grains. It's just a pile of starch that will for sure cause your body to release insulin but not much else. It's not like the other grains that go through and terrorize your body in so many ways. If I didn't have weight to lose I would eat it more. so as long as you're not struggling with weight or blood sugars I'd say go ahead and enjoy (small) portions here and there. It is a great filler in so many recipes.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I sincerely think that listening to one's body is important when considering food choices, especially once the "detox" period has passed. I've noticed no ill effects from eating a moderate amount of rice with a meal on an occasional basis. I'm underweight, so gaining a bit is certainly not a concern - but I do have GI issues that are not aggravated by white rice. I'd agree with the above that it's probably fine on occasion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast