Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tightness behind/sides of knees page

ziok is offline Member

Tightness behind/sides of knees

Primal Fuel
    Goodmorning,

I will start by saying that I believe this my question is related to Runner's knee but I wanted the opinions of other's out there.

As I have been transitioning to barefoot running, I have had mild pain/ tightness but I've finally gotten to the point where the day after my 10 mins. of sprinting I have no muscle soreness in my calves! I feel no pain when running and any discomfort in my Achilles or feet has went away. But upon waking this morning, I could barely bend my knees to get out of bed! I had been researching prior to this because I had felt it before just not the severity of today.

There is no swelling that I can feel. The tendons that run to the sides of my knees do not hurt when pressed on but trying to raise my legs from a seated position the tightness can be felt and sitting crossed legged is nearly impossible. The tightness becomes pain if while seated in a near crossed legged position I push on my knees.

Is this runner's knee? Any recommendations for preventing it or treatment?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Are you running on the grass? Sorry, it may be a dumb question, but barefoot on asphalt is very hard on the joints.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ziok is offline Member
    Grass, this time. Previously, for the last 5 weeks every 5-7 days I had been running on asphalt. I think switching to grass helped alleviate the soreness I had been getting but I was very surprised when my knees were so stiff this morning. Also, in the standing position, lifting my feet up (bending at the knees, of course) the tightness is severe.

I would give it a rest, stretch and start carefully on grass again when you feel up to it. It does sound like the runnner's knee variation.

ziok is offline Member
    Resting is definite.... is this overtraining or part of the barefoot transition? I do not have any muscle s soreness and my sprinting was strenuous, but no longer or more intense than previous sessions.

I think it was barefoot on the asphalt. When I started I had brutal calf soreness, but no knee pain. However, whenever I run on asphalt in barefoots, I feel a lot more impact on my over-sensitive knees and shins. My foot doc told me he saw a bunch of injuries in barefoots on pavement and told me to stick to grass. I now only walk till I am on grass. Granted, i do not run much nowadays, so take this with a grain of salt. I do see one runner in our park who runs very fast actually barefoot (no shoes at all) on the pavement. So, experiences differ, I guess, but all and all, grass is better...

ziok is offline Member
    I think you are right. Today I feel much better with none of the residual pain I had for 3-4 days after sprinting on asphalt. I guess I wanted asphalt so I could see what my feet were hitting and wouldn't have to worry so much on foot placement. (holes, roots, etc.)

I think I will mow a stretch of my yard down shorter than the rest as walk over it to assure no hidden holes or other dangers and stay off the asphalt! An advantage I have considering I have an acre of land....

Thank you for the replies!

Good luck Ziok. To be honest, for me it is part of the fun, leaping over the roots and stuff. Not when sprinting, obviously, lol. For sprints, I just go to the playing fields. Well, used to. I am starting to miss it now chatting to you. heh, I am in a confused state of my exercise life.

diene is offline Senior Member
    If the pain you experience is on the outside of the knee, then it's probably your IT band. With runner's knee, the pain is usually localized behind the knee cap, and it usually hurts when you talk downstairs.

Try to loosen up your IT band. It can't hurt even if your problem isn't your IT band. Take a foam roller and position it somewhere along your IT band. The IT band runs along the outside of your thigh vertically down your leg so you want to roll from side to side (horizontally or against the grain, if you will). Go to mobility WOD and search for IT Band. Do some of those things in those videos.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Lacrosse ball rolling. Life changer. Also torture. But good.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast