Thread: Activity Level for Calorie Calculators (LeanGains/IF) page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Activity Level for Calorie Calculators (LeanGains/IF)

Shop Now
    When using calculators to determine your daily caloric needs most ask you to put in a gauge of physical activity. I lift three times a week and so I put in 'moderately active' which gives me a TDEE of ~2700 cals (I'm a male, 6'2", 215). Does that sound about right? I am re-calculating LeanGains macros to get over a stall and don't want to over eat. I usually don't eat more than 1700 or 1800 cals a day, and that is way to low and I think causing me to stall.

Thanks!

MarkG is offline Junior Member
    yea that sounds about right. Conservative even. 1700 cals is super low for your size.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    As far as the activity level goes, your guess is as good as theirs.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    IME those formulas are very scattershot. It can provide a starting point if you're totally lost in the woods but your own records over time will be more accurate.

There's even some theories that punctuated activity (e.g. workout) makes us slightly slower and cooler for the remainder of the day so TDEE doesn't budge much. According to most trackers my work commute by bike is something like 750 kcal that I'm encouraged to add to my budget but there's no way my appetite or waistline would accommodate that.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Uselis is online now Member
    I used to read a bunch on reddit/leangains and it seems that general opinion there is that 3 times a week lifting + 1h walking every day gives you lightly active. Anything less is sedentary according them. Moderately active would be lifting, walking plus having a standing job.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Lifting three times per week would probably fall under "lightly active". However, as you know, these are rough estimates, so you're probably going to have to make adjustments as you go.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog: