Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar addiction page 3

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Or is it the combination of them both paired with the hyperpalatable texture having a drug-like effect on the brain?
    I believe that to be the case. I think it's the fat + starch combo that triggers the reward center (see potato chips). In my recent experience of eating fruit, fruit juice, honey, maple syrup and even, gasp, table sugar I have not had a single overeating episode. Of course, being inspired by Peat, these things are eaten without much fat and I think that's why they don't trigger overeating or fat gain. It's the isolation. Now, during the time of my grandmothers death and funeral I (under stress) overrate many things that were both fatty and sweet- smoked pork shoulder in sweet BBQ sauce, ice cream, chocolate, honey mustard potato chips, even a couple of cookies. I agree wholeheartedly that it's fat and sugar together that's a problem- not sugar on its own. Sugar is a good scapegoat though.

Power Hawk is offline Junior Member
    It has been awhile since I have read The Primal Blueprint, but doesn't Mark saw you should try for 80% compliance (at least)? I took this to mean that the occasional breakdown in diet or exercise was okay. Not great or good, but we are all humans. Occasionally life will get in the way or we will submit to the temptation. Is eating donuts going to hurt your weight loss? Of course, you already knew that. It is time to stop eating the donuts because you know they are just keeping you from you goals. Maybe next time try cheating with moderation.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Or is it the combination of them both paired with the hyperpalatable texture having a drug-like effect on the brain?
    Yup... the best foods have that mix of fat and sugar. You know, if it hits right, you end up satisfied. Think the best chocolate mousse or cheesecake. If the ratio is too much sugar, you end up on the endless consumption wagon. In cutting back fat in SAD foods, they've ended up making foods so easy to over consume. Not gonna lie, I could eat 4 doughnuts, but I could not eat 4 chocolate croissants.

The other type of foods that are so easy to overeat are bland carbs with fat, salt and a bit of sweet, ie, pizza, burgers with cheese and ketchup, stuff like that.

There is a whole science to making you overeat. I'm sure dunkin donuts participates.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I just don't understand the mindset that eating cake, cookies and doughnuts is a carb addiction. Why isn't it a fat addiction? Why are the carbs the problem and not the fats? Or is it the combination of them both paired with the hyperpalatable texture having a drug-like effect on the brain?
    The Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate brownies in my pantry have 1g of fat and 24g of carbs, 17g being from sugar. 1g of protein. All formulated to entice you to eat the entire pan once you start.

Never knew it was all because of the fat.

The Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate brownies in my pantry have 1g of fat and 24g of carbs, 17g being from sugar. 1g of protein. All formulated to entice you to eat the entire pan once you start.
    But don't you add eggs and a substantial amount of oil to make the recipe? Most mixes you end up adding fat to.

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post

Never knew it was all because of the fat.
    Chocolate is another animal altogether

I can give you some recipes I've developed for cookies, cake and yes I'm working on the doughnut one as well. They definitely help kick problem cravings. Eating a "good" version of bad food? Way better, no cheating and its still fine

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    But don't you add eggs and a substantial amount of oil to make the recipe? Most mixes you end up adding fat to.
    Its carbs with fat that are the problem. Eating just the fat, or a non-carb similar food, won't have the same effect on the body. The carb addiction is an actual chemical process and it also prevents you from feeling truly full. Especially with fat involved. One can sit and eat an lb worth of bread, but try and sit and eat an lb worth of butter. Big difference.
    Last edited by Shield_Maiden; 09-16-2013 at 09:04 AM.

One can sit and eat an lb worth of bread, but try and sit and eat an lb worth of butter.
    There is no way I could eat: Bread, Potatoes, Pasta, crackers, rice or just about any other bland, starchy carb without the help of some form of fat, be it butter, sour cream, cheese, peanutbutter, curry sauce. I probably could not eat a slice of bread without butter, let alone a pound.

Same with sweets. I would not bother with a slice of angel food cake with berries. Throw whipped cream in the mix and I would.

I guess I'm different, but I need some fat with my carbs if I'm going to overeat them.

Case in point. Cheeseless pizza from my vegan days. I could eat a large pizza with cheese. And want a second one. I went vegan and all the sudden it was "who the hell needs cheese" so I made cheeseless pizza that sat in my fridge for 2 weeks with one slice missing. There may well be people who would say "sweet, carbs" and eat my whole cheeseless pizza.... to each his own.

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Hawk View Post
    It has been awhile since I have read The Primal Blueprint, but doesn't Mark saw you should try for 80% compliance (at least)? I took this to mean that the occasional breakdown in diet or exercise was okay. Not great or good, but we are all humans. Occasionally life will get in the way or we will submit to the temptation. Is eating donuts going to hurt your weight loss? Of course, you already knew that. It is time to stop eating the donuts because you know they are just keeping you from you goals. Maybe next time try cheating with moderation.
    The 80% rule was a current societal compromise for being a healthy human being with a healthy social circle. Having Primal friends isn't exactly going to be an option for everyone. Essentially, you try for 100%, but don't beat yourself if you fall short time to time. Some people use this as an excuse to have a "cheat meal," now and then.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast