Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: headaches after meals during transition to primal?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    86

    headaches after meals during transition to primal?

    Shop Now
    I'm new to the Primal lifestyle, and have been getting headaches after I eat. They're not debilitating, but they do last for about three hours. Makes me not too eager for my next meal, heh. I know headaches and other stuff are normal symptoms as one transitions to this diet, for 2-3 weeks. But I wonder if anyone else experienced this particular pattern of headaches when first going Primal. I think I'm just hoping for reassurance that this is temporary. I've only been at it four days. Experiencing lots of happy benefits, though, so far, and am very excited and hopeful!

    Thanks in advance. :-)

    Shauna

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,827
    This is the low-carb flu. Your body's complaining about not getting its smack, er, carbs. It will eventually go away and the lower your carbs the faster it goes away. Go zero-carb for a few days if you can while your body is kicking the habit.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

    Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)


    Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

    My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    knoxville and/or murfreesboro Tennessee
    Posts
    131
    in the same boat, I'm bout 2 weeks in. pretty sure its just our bodies adjusting to lower blood sugar. wouldn't be too concerned


    Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

    MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    86
    Thanks, both of you. Much appreciated. I feel better now. :-)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    48
    Thank God (figure of speech) for this thread, I been getting pretty bad headaches for last few days since I started to eat primal(y). Its good to know that they will subside once I've completed the transitional period.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Make sure you're hydrated too... no science just drink your water, tea, etc.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Make sure you're hydrated too... no science just drink your water, tea, etc.
    I drink plenty of liquids, tea, protein shakes and water etc. I've been meaning to ask, is it ok to have milk and sugar in my tea ?. Being British I'd be loosing a part of my identity if I gave up tea

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Milk is a toss-up for people. I'm currently not including dairy in my diet but never had an issue with it. I'm not sure how much milk Brits put in their milk, but I LOVE tea and milk. Sugar I don't touch at all, and it's not too tough to wean yourself off it if you go at it slowly. I'm not sure how coconut milk and tea would jive but you could experiment with that. I would scale back on sugar, but if you don't have any autoimmune diseases or inflammation issues I don't personally see the harm with keeping milk around. Someone's going to come here and tell you to ditch it though, hardcore paleos don't do milk.

    Damn you now I want some tea with cream.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    3,734
    I'm a Brit, too and somehow I have managed to transition to tea with coconut milk. Tea with double cream is fine, if dairy works for you, but you definitely want to give up the sugar!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    48
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Milk is a toss-up for people. I'm currently not including dairy in my diet but never had an issue with it. I'm not sure how much milk Brits put in their milk, but I LOVE tea and milk. Sugar I don't touch at all, and it's not too tough to wean yourself off it if you go at it slowly. I'm not sure how coconut milk and tea would jive but you could experiment with that. I would scale back on sugar, but if you don't have any autoimmune diseases or inflammation issues I don't personally see the harm with keeping milk around. Someone's going to come here and tell you to ditch it though, hardcore paleos don't do milk.

    Damn you now I want some tea with cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I'm a Brit, too and somehow I have managed to transition to tea with coconut milk. Tea with double cream is fine, if dairy works for you, but you definitely want to give up the sugar!
    Damn, giving up sugar is gonna be like going cold turkey for a heroin addict.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •