Thread: Mexican food!!! page

flyjohno is offline Junior Member

Mexican food!!!

Primal Fuel
    So, after my 1st week of PB and feeling really good, family came to town and we ate at a local awesome Mexican restaurant. Basket of fresh chips and salsa in front of me I killed it! Whole basket. Afterwords I ordered a fajita dish, without tortillas, thinking I was still ok. Two hours later I felt terrible, stomach discomfort, major energy crash. It lasted about two hours. I. Am. Now. A. Total. Believer....

Cheers.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Love Mexican food and you can eat pretty healthy if you try. But the chips and salsa are deadly. Once I get started...

My body doesn't have as bad a reaction as you, but I know that stuff is not good. For me best thing is to either do take out or make my own at home.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Mmm... bleached flour soybean oil sponges...

My Mex-ish staples are giant salads with spicy meat and salsa/guac or pork skins with some homemade 7-layer dip. Once in a great while I'll oven bake some reputable corn tortilla chips in lard--I noticed that cutting them by hand really helps put the portion sizes in perspective.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Cookie` Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flyjohno View Post
    So, after my 1st week of PB and feeling really good, family came to town and we ate at a local awesome Mexican restaurant. Basket of fresh chips and salsa in front of me I killed it! Whole basket. Afterwords I ordered a fajita dish, without tortillas, thinking I was still ok. Two hours later I felt terrible, stomach discomfort, major energy crash. It lasted about two hours. I. Am. Now. A. Total. Believer....

Cheers.
    While the discomfort was a bummer it made for a great learning lesson!

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    There is a woman who sells mexican food at a farmers on the Big Island of Hawaii, and she claims that it is the best in the U.S.

She may be right, it is so good that I show up once a week to have whatever she is making, usually served in a corn tortilla. I swear it is worth every bite, and I haven't had any gluten responses to the stuff yet, so life is pretty good! I hope you can find a place to get your mexican fix without compromising your health too!

Natureman Guest
    First off, I would say most "Mexican" restaurants in the U.S. are NOT real Mexican food. The chips...don't touch them and I know that is difficult, especially when one is hungry. The flour tortillas taste good but are NOT Paleo.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Fajitas without tortillas (or with corn) or taco salads minus shell are the easiest options.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I made a Mexicain inspired soup yesterday (or so I told myself). Yellow and green zucs, fresh sausage, onions, quinoa, black beans and chili powder. It was really nice.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The Mexican place we go to has carnitas and skirt steak grilled, served with salsa and avocado, plus a side of rice and beans. I don't like beans, but sometimes I eat the rice. I dump salsa all over the meat...YUM.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Corn Tortillas and tortilla chips do not bother me. Part of my 20% is having tacos from time to time. At least it's not wheat.