Thread: NY Times article on running vs. walking page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

NY Times article on running vs. walking

Shop Now
    Check out this article... interesting stuff: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...o-walk-or-run/

When I switched to primal 2 years ago, I gave up my 20-mile-per-week running in exchange for long, slow walks (per the suggestions at MDA). I definitely HAVE noticed that walks leave me extremely hungry afterwards, whereas runs used to completely kill my appetite. Now I'm considering switching back to running, although I don't think my knees would appreciate it...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    This is something I have experienced first-hand, and I will admit I rather like the appetite suppressing effects of running. I quit running once going Primal too, but have recently decided to include it again. While I'll probably never resume the 42 mpw schedule I used to have, 3-5 miles a few times a week can hardly be a problem.

When it comes to stress on the body, I would say as long as you're (and I'm) eating right and getting plenty of sleep... the body should be able to handle a little bit of running. I've come to realize it's the only type of exercise I'm naturally good at.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Long as your a lifter I don't think it matters

But I'm with you... higher intensity stuff kills my appetite. Thats why I always found the premise of the PWO meal within some arbitrary time frame to be faulty. I'm not gonna force feed... and I do just fine.

Cookie` Guest
    I've been a regular jogger getting close to 14 years now. I also do some occasional uphill sprints. They definitely reduce my appetite. I also walk, do stairwell workouts particularly in icy conditions/storms and strength work.

Not always but longer walks ie 60-120 minutes upon rising and after a 12-15 hour fast my appetite increases but my 52-65 minute am jog doesn't even with the 12-15 hour fast. I normally do some strength work prior to my am jog too.

Walking in the afternoon or evening doesn't but I guess that is because I would have had a lunch or supper.

Oh so much walking is because I live in the downtown core, don't drive and live a pedestrian lifestyle.
    Last edited by Cookie`; 09-16-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am on the opposite get viciously hungry when I run, lift or do anything else high intensity. It doesn't hit immediately, but in an hour or two. When I walk a lot outdoors, I am less hungry. I can't fast very long, and the easiest for me is when walking.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-16-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am on the opposite get viciously hungry when I run, lift or do anything else high intensity. It doesn't hit immediately, but in an hour or two. When I walk a lot outdoors, I am less hungry.
    Same here. For years I was into jogging & running and had a monster appetite. Whenever I (rarely) decide to dabble in it again, the monster appetite hits a few hours post-exercise and I could eat enough to feed a small country. I'm a small person myself (5'2", don't do scales so I don't know my weight, but I wear a size 0 - 2), and don't normally have a massive appetite. A healthy appetite, yes, but not an insatiable one. No more running for me.