Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: split or full body training for higher metabolism and testosterone? page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

split or full body training for higher metabolism and testosterone?

Shop Now
    i'm looking to increase both my metabolism and testosterone, you can tell by the title. i heard full body training burns more fat, but which increases your metabolism and testosterone more? full body training or a split? the split i'm looking into doing is 6 days per week. input would be appreciated. thank you!

Zach is offline Banned
    Exercise has little effect on both, obviously exercise is good but it doesnt really matter. I would say anything that incorporates full body lifts (squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, overhead press, pullups). Your diet and lifestyle have a much greater effect.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    The answer to your question is full body.
    What you should do is full body.
    The connection between the 2 is dubious.
    The acute hormone levels may or may not have anything to do with progress.

Anybody who has to ask if they should do a 6 day split shouldn't.

alright, thank you both. why are they better than splits? i am also looking to build more muscle. i'm just curious as to why doing full body 2-3 times is better for testosterone and metabolism than resistance training of different body parts 6 days per week?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    alright, thank you both. why are they better than splits? i am also looking to build more muscle. i'm just curious as to why doing full body 2-3 times is better for testosterone and metabolism than resistance training of different body parts 6 days per week?
    Working small muscles in isolation evoke small systemic response. Moving more weight with bigger muscles is more work. So you get a greater global response to that sort of effort. Thats the simple way to put it. Far as metabolism and testosterone.... don't worry bout that. If your goal is more muscle pick a good beginners program and get at it.

Guess I shouldn't say "don't worry bout it". What level of trainee are you? What program are you doing now?

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    working as much muscle mass as possible in a short time and preferably in the same exercise is key to hormone release

squats and deads account for most of it, throw in standing presses ,chins and dips, bent rows for maximum effect
    NOT all of those in 1 workout

Whether that hormone release drives growth or the same workout is just good for growth is arguable.
    From what I've read I think its the later.

Splits just dilute your effort and recovery from the important basic lifts.
    If you really believe in the hormone stuff then upper body only days are useless.

i'm not using a specific program. or weights. just calisthenics at a nearby park. as far as experience, i've been doing calisthenics for about a year or a little bit more. i've had visible changes in muscle mass since i'm roughly new to it, but i'm looking to put on more mass eventually. i know eventually i'll be able to do higher reps with pull ups, dips, squats and stuff like that, i guess i'll have to just add more volume eventually? thank you, everyone

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    Heres the thing, your body doesnt care what split or full body workout you do. Increasing metabolism means you need to create a high oxygen debt (EPOC). EPOC is basically your bodys consumption of O2 after your workout. To increase EPOC, you need high intensity and/or long duration. PB recommends high intensity interval training, and so do i.

When you work harder, no matter what groups, your body uses more oxygen after the workout to reach homeostasis on many physiological levels. If your EPOC is higher due to an intense workout, you can potentially increase your metabolism up to 48hrs after the workout.

So in short, high intensity interval training will raise your metabolism for a prolonged amount of time after the workout. Do whatever you like for the routine though.

For me, I do a full body workout, but in a split fashion haha. For example..
    20min workout:
    10min maximum effort and reps with briefest rest time for pistol (one leg) squats.
    Rest two min.
    10min of max effort, max reps, briefest rest of pushups.

Then a few days later ill do another 20min workout full body of..
    10min jump squats highest level intensity etc.
    10min muscleups and pullups max intensity.

These are both full body workouts, but thw first workouts chest and triceps for upper body, and the latter focuses on back abd biceps for upper body. I tried combining the pushups abd pullups for the 10min of upper body, but i dont get very sore the next day. So i like to split it as i stated.

Just train HIIT, and your body will do the rest. I literally just learned this in my exercise physiology class an hour ago, so its pretty cool that I can answer this question off the top of my head.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    You could try the old school "Arnold-split" if you can recover from it. This split will speed up your metabolism for sure, but it may lower your testosterone levels...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 09-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    i'm not using a specific program. or weights. just calisthenics at a nearby park. as far as experience, i've been doing calisthenics for about a year or a little bit more. i've had visible changes in muscle mass since i'm roughly new to it, but i'm looking to put on more mass eventually. i know eventually i'll be able to do higher reps with pull ups, dips, squats and stuff like that, i guess i'll have to just add more volume eventually? thank you, everyone
    Why would you add more volume ?

Think of a Callus being the skins reaction to stress the same as a growth is a muscles reaction to stress.....

You could rub your skin gently all day and you won't give it reason to build a callus, same goes for the muscles, if the intensity and resistance are not there then you can do push ups and pull ups till you are blue in the face and you still won't have given your muscles any reason to get larger/stronger.

Now if you were to exert plenty of pressure to the skin as you rubbed it the outcome would soon be a callus or blister. The same goes for stimulating muscle growth, short hard sessions to create the need for adaptation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast