Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help me quit smoking page

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member

help me quit smoking

Shop Now
    I had so many "last" cigarettes the past 2 weeks... I'm in an isolated living situation right now where there's no one for me to be accountable to except myself, and my will isn't so strong. I figure it's better to be accountable to a forum of strangers than no one at all. So please help me quit by holding me to my word. I'm smoking my last one right now, I swear... I'll post again in an hour if I have managed to stay smoke-free until then, thanks.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Good luck.

Also, if you don't buy cigarettes you can't smoke cigarettes.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

andreoilin is offline Junior Member
    This is extremely high on my to-do list before the year is over. I quit last year for about six months and felt fantastic. Did a lot of hiking and walking when I was craving, didn't put on any weight and just felt overall great. I was half way to pick up a packet after running out, then suddenly decided to just turn around and go home, and that was that.

All the best to you. It gets easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Good luck.

Also, if you don't buy cigarettes you can't smoke cigarettes.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    Yes that's very true.. I need to alter my daily walk so it doesn't go by the gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by andreoilin View Post
    This is extremely high on my to-do list before the year is over. I quit last year for about six months and felt fantastic. Did a lot of hiking and walking when I was craving, didn't put on any weight and just felt overall great. I was half way to pick up a packet after running out, then suddenly decided to just turn around and go home, and that was that.

All the best to you. It gets easier.
    It's been 15 minutes and I'm craving already. How did you start smoking again? -just curious

ASA
    ASA is offline Junior Member
    I quit earlier this year and gained 35lbs in a matter of months, I am now on my last pack and am getting back into primal. I would love to have a quitting buddy because I don't have anyone to hold me accountable either. When I quit I just did cold turkey, I'm an all or nothing kind of gal and was unable to truly quit while using e cigs(my first attempt was to wean). This time around I am going to use(starting tomorrow) a cleans to rid my body of the toxins I have accumulated while smoking. I always quit for 6-9 months and then get extremely stressed and start up again, I can't let that happen this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ASA View Post
    I quit earlier this year and gained 35lbs in a matter of months, I am now on my last pack and am getting back into primal. I would love to have a quitting buddy because I don't have anyone to hold me accountable either. When I quit I just did cold turkey, I'm an all or nothing kind of gal and was unable to truly quit while using e cigs(my first attempt was to wean). This time around I am going to use(starting tomorrow) a cleans to rid my body of the toxins I have accumulated while smoking. I always quit for 6-9 months and then get extremely stressed and start up again, I can't let that happen this time.
    Let's be quitting buddies. I tried e-cigs but found I still craved the throat burn from regular cigs. At the start of the year I quit for 3 months but ran into a buddy who offered me a cig and got me started again. I remember that first cigarette after 3 months tasted awful, but the buzz was great and I instantly felt this inner peace that got me hooked again. It's now been an hour since my cigarette. I threw the rest of the pack in the trash and am pretty tempted to dig it out. But trying to stay strong.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    How many do you smoke a day?

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    just take it one hour at the time for now... and reward yourself at the end of the day when you kept it smoking free.
    Treat yourself on something special after a week of staying smoke free (like a massage, sauna, something you really like to do)..

My mom does it by saving up the money she saves from not buying the sigarettes. she uses the money at the end of the year for either a holiday or to buy something she really wants..

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    How many do you smoke a day?
    Half pack a day.

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    just take it one hour at the time for now... and reward yourself at the end of the day when you kept it smoking free.
    Treat yourself on something special after a week of staying smoke free (like a massage, sauna, something you really like to do)..

My mom does it by saving up the money she saves from not buying the sigarettes. she uses the money at the end of the year for either a holiday or to buy something she really wants..
    Yeah it's a lot of money saved. I read somewhere you can lease a car for the amount of money spent on a pack a day. But my end of the year treat will be paying off a bit more of my student loans. 4 hours now, so far so good. I threw out the trash and my lighter with it.

andreoilin is offline Junior Member
    I ended up starting again due to nerves over a few things going on in my life at the time. Things felt a little out of control so I found myself sneaking one here and there and then my willpower gradually waned and the rest is history.

That being said, I learned a good lesson from it. It was my first time quitting and I know what to expect this time around, how I failed, and how to not fail again.

What helped most for me was replacing the cravings with something physical; I spent the entire first two weeks flipping a room in our house from a bedroom into a painting studio / indoor plant room and I think having that to focus on helped significantly. Other than that I replaced cravings with walking my dog around the block, playing the fiddle, and whittling. After meals was always hard so I would immediately do the washing and tidying up. Driving was probably the hardest. Morning coffee, easy peasy. It's different for everyone.

Hope it's going well over there for you. In about a week's time, I felt like a new person already. There's so many good things to look forward to when kicking the habit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast