Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milk? page

Wildrose is offline Senior Member

Milk?

Primal Fuel
    I'm wondering about this. Would you guys recommend drinking milk? I live in Canada so non-pasteurized milk is a complete no go. However, Canadian milk is hormone and antibiotic free by definition. The only difference organic makes is the feed is organic.

The reason I'm asking is that I've been on a plateau for about 3 weeks. My trainer mentioned it might be the milk I've been drinking lately, but I know I drank milk on one week that I lost weight. My thought is that my crappy sleep lately is more likely the culprit. Milk doesn't bother me, but gluten doesn't bother me either so that's probably not a good guide. Your thoughts?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    It's still liquid calories no matter which way you cut it, and as such its a bit easier to go over your goal loads.

I find it easier to lean up by cutting dairy and I have no problem (GI or acute signs/symptoms) with dairy or grains either.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It's good for some folks and not for others. I exclude milk because the local options are mediocre and I get calcium/vitD elsewhere. If I could get raw grass-fed milk I'd probably make use of it, but I already eat grass-fed ghee, grass-fed cream, and raw cheeses so I don't sweat it.

By plateau do you mean fat loss? Liquid calories, whey, and casein are definitely common culprits worthy of a trial separation.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Though Neckhammer and I agree on a lot of things, we differ in this, and I think healthy milk is awesome. That said, unless you have access to raw milk from the farm, what you buy at the grocery store, hormones/antibiotics or not, is probably a shell of its former self.

If you left me on a deserted island, I'd probably want a cow/goat and a citrus tree. But sadly, the bullshit that gets done to our dairy is a travesty that makes it unhealthy and unwholesome.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Personally I would skip the milk, it is higher in milk sugars. Cream, butter and cheese are lower carb options for those of us with weight to lose.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll try cutting it out, it's not like I need it. And now that my sister isn't living with us anymore, it might be easier not to have it. Well, except for my dad's skim milk but I never touch that anyway.

Euphoric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    My trainer mentioned it might be the milk I've been drinking lately, but I know I drank milk on one week that I lost weight.
    Milk is liquid calories, easy to consume and easy to abuse yourself into a surplus with. The stuff is a-ok on it's own, but you still have to mind the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoric View Post
    Milk is liquid calories, easy to consume and easy to abuse yourself into a surplus with. The stuff is a-ok on it's own, but you still have to mind the numbers.
    That's really not a problem with me. I use a calorie tracker religiously, so I just plug it in. And I find that milk is really quite filling. A cup of milk, an apple and an egg in a smoothy will last me until lunch. But I could easily switch that to almond milk with some coconut milk.

Cookie` Guest
    Even better than almond milk is macadamia milk. I think it's much better tasting and it's creamy.

Just soak a cup of raw macadamias overnight then drain and rinse. Put soaked macs in Vitamix or high speed blender with 3 cups cold water; blending until completely smooth.

Store in a Mason type jar in the coldest part of your fridge and use within 3-4 days or freeze in ice cube trays etc.

And the same with cashew milk which makes a good dairy replacement for those intolerant but want the creaminess of HWC or whole milk.
    Last edited by Cookie`; 09-17-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Robin C is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What about milk as a meal such as homemade broccoli cheese soup? Is that acceptable?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast