Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many servings of veggies do you have a day, and which ones are your fav page

miniGrokette is offline Member

How many servings of veggies do you have a day, and which ones are your fav

Primal Fuel
    How many servings of veggies do you have a day, and which ones are your favorites?

I'm trying to up my veggie intake for health and funsies and just wanted to get an idea of what amount others eat on a daily basis.

Edit: I'm also curious about eating fresh vs. raw veggies. I love 'em cooked, but have been wondering if I should mix it up? Eating a cold piece of broccoli just doesn't do it for me
    Last edited by miniGrokette; 09-15-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Cookie` Guest
    I generally eat veggies at each meal and overall about 50/50 raw and cooked.

A salad for me is a good 5-6 cups with lots of leafy greens, Italian parsley, tomatoes, red peppers and onions. Outside of salad about a cup of veg is a serving for me and sometimes two types at each meal.

The only veg I don't like are mushrooms and cooked carrots. My favorite starchy choices are sweet potato and kaboucha squash. I love a variety of greens, cruciferous among others too. Nori is another favorite.

I also eat 2-3 fruit servings daily.

Cookie` Guest
    I don't eat veg like broccoli or cauliflower raw. Not appealing to me.

For raw veggies I like cucumber, tomatoes, onions, scallions, red, yellow and orange peppers, carrots, celery, jicama ...

miniGrokette is offline Member
    Well dang Cookie! That all sounds great. I don't care too much for mushrooms either. I'm thinking of going for making a vegetarian snack/meal every day as a way to force some veggie creativity. Those salads look wonderful! I can actually afford sardines so I will have to give that a try!

Cookie` Guest
    Love roasted beets too or in a carrot, apple and beet salad in which you use raw grated beets.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not a fan of veggies. I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese. Veggies are only a flavor enhancer, so I don't count. On a veggie day, I might eat, up to four ounces of tomato, avocado, onions, greens, or mushrooms. Otherwise, less or none.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Over the Summer I was eating PILES of fruit and veg. Now I eat 50-1200g of starchy stuff a day, a piece of fruit maybe every three and some fungi or greens once or twice a day.
    Not much veg is needed when you eat as much offal and raw and/or fermented meat as I do, though.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Usually 0. I prefer fruits like avocado and coconut, berries, etc. Also organ meats and ferments, yes. But lately my wife is on a broccoli kick and so I end up with the rest of the frozen veggie mix, carrots and cauliflower. Been eating them well-done without trouble. I think I like it again, after a long campaign of no veggies. Maybe I'm just bored with steak and eggs, if that's even possible.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie` View Post
    I generally eat veggies at each meal and overall about 50/50 raw and cooked.
    Ditto. Raw can be a crudité (carrot sticks, radish quarters, snap peas, green beans) dipped in guacamole, spicy sour cream, or tapenade, or a tossed salad with or without lettuce. Unless I'm at a salad bar, I find lettuce annoying so I just toss and coat grape tomatoes, artichoke hearts, bell peppers, cucumber, scallion, etc. in some olive oil, vinegar, and dried Italian or French seasonings.

Steam, sauté, roast, and soup/stew all have their place. Depends on the cuisine.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miniGrokette View Post
    How many servings of veggies do you have a day, and which ones are your favorites?I'm trying to up my veggie intake for health and funsies and just wanted to get an idea of what amount others eat on a daily basis.
    I dont' know, it varies. 1, 2, 7, 10. What is a serving? Do you mean how many different veggies? What if I eat nothing but leftover roasted cauliflower with each meal? Or 2 big ass salads a day?

I like almost anything. Except celery, fennel, cilantro, olives, green peppers. And I don't tolerate raw onions or garlic

Edit: I'm also curious about eating fresh vs. raw veggies. I love 'em cooked, but have been wondering if I should mix it up? Eating a cold piece of broccoli just doesn't do it for me [/QUOTE]

Sometimes I'm on a salad kick, sometimes I only want to roast every veggie in bacon fat. Right now we're trying to consume all the tomatoes that keep coming from my garden before the go bad.

If the number of foods you like outnumber the number of foods you don't like, don't force yourself to eat the gross ones. My kids turn their noses up at sweet potatoes, yams and squash. Oh well. They'll eat your raw broccoli.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast