Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Kombucha page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Homemade Kombucha

Primal Fuel
    I just made 18 bottles of Kombucha, saving me $54 on what I would have spent at Whole Foods. Just had to share.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    I just made 18 bottles of Kombucha, saving me $54 on what I would have spent at Whole Foods. Just had to share.
    Wow thats a huge batch. Isn't it fun!! :0) Did you flavor it?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't flavor it. I probably should so I don't get bored. Do you have any ideas?

I have used fruit, (mango and watermelon didn't work very well), ginger, mint, Numi Chocolate Puerh tea with a little honey (my favorite). I just ordered chai spice mix from KombuchaKamp. Cant wait to try it. Are you doing the second ferment now? If so, you can flavor it still.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    I just finished my first batch & have the second started. just did the basic recipe/method until im sure ive got it down but wanna play around with different flavors & teas etc once im confident I know what im doing
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I have used fruit, (mango and watermelon didn't work very well), ginger, mint, Numi Chocolate Puerh tea with a little honey (my favorite). I just ordered chai spice mix from KombuchaKamp. Cant wait to try it. Are you doing the second ferment now? If so, you can flavor it still.

I have only been doing this a couple of months. I use decaf black tea, organic sugar, the mushroom and put this all together and let it sit for 4-5 days to eat up all the sugar and then put it in 16 oz. bottles in the refrigerator. How do you do a second ferment? I have never done that before. Thanks.

The first ferment usually takes me 7-10 days. Then I bottle it with whatever flavor and put it in a dark cupboard for 4-5 days for the second ferment. I strain it before I put it in the fridge if the fruit is floating. If the flavorings are at the bottom of the bottles, I dont bother straining it. The second ferment developes the flavor more and it creates the fizz.

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    The first ferment usually takes me 7-10 days. Then I bottle it with whatever flavor and put it in a dark cupboard for 4-5 days for the second ferment. I strain it before I put it in the fridge if the fruit is floating. If the flavorings are at the bottom of the bottles, I dont bother straining it. The second ferment developes the flavor more and it creates the fizz.

It makes sense to do a second ferment if you are putting fruit in it, but do you really have to do that if you add mint or ginger, because those don't really have a high sugar content? What fruits tended to work best?

NothingLasts is offline Member
    The secondary fermentation is what makes the Kombucha characteristically "bubbly". It's the carbonation part of the process whereby CO2 builds up in the bottles, so while you don't need to do it, your 'buch won't have that extra kick

Here's my continuous brew setup of 2 gallons. I use organic oolong tea and organic cane sugar, let it ferment for 3-4 weeks to really get the sugar content to a minimum, and then jar it up in quart mason jars and let those sit at room temp till im ready to drink. I keep one jar chilled in the fridge at all times and have been able to supply myself with an 8oz glass per day this way
    2013-09-15 16.14.50.jpg

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think if you like yours with just one ferment, you dont have to do the second ferment. It just develops the flavor and fizz of the tea itself even if you don't flavor it. I found that berries of all kinds work well. You can also use juice. I really like the mint and ginger combo. I am going to email KombuchaKamp and ask them if there are other benefits to the second ferment. I have a feeling it develops the probiotics as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast