Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: making it work in daily life page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here's a thread where people posted mostly quick ideas for food rather than posting up formal recipes: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70874.html
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    One thing you can do to make breakfast easier is on the weekend, make a crustless quiche with eggs, veggies, cheese, ham, whatever you want, there are tons of recipes on the internet. Then you just cut a piece in the morning and either heat it up or have it cold and your breakfasts are done for the whole week. Or you could cook up a bunch of hard boiled eggs for breakfast. You could also make a bone broth soup with chicken and vegetables. If you do it in a big cockpot, you only have to do it every 10-14 days and you can put the rest in the freezer.

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Make stews, meatloaf, chicken, just about anything and freeze. The freezer is our friend. Even scrambled eggs with bacon or other veggies freezes well. Just take out the night before and warm up quickly in the morning.

It gets easier with practice.

Good luck.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    I have also made hamburger patties and frozen them uncooked..So you want a burger all you have to do is grab a patty...think I will make a frittata for the week Glad I read your posts
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    We have three in our family.

We do IF, but before we IF'd, we did breakfast, had dinner left overs for lunch, and then cooked dinner. We use raw fruit and nuts for snacks (afternoon, no morning snack).

We find it quite simple, but it is a lot more prep than the SAD/CW way of doing things such as cereal/milk or toast, then a sandwich with some side what nots, and then only really cooking at dinner.

Once you get in the swing of things, it's simple.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    First thing I did was throw out the idea that there are "breakfast" foods and other foods. It's all dinner food all the time for me. This means if I make extra at dinner time the leftovers can be my breakfast and/or my lunch the next day. Every week I bake a whole bunch of chicken breasts or fish fillets and keep them on hand for breakfast and lunch. I keep potatoes around to nuke in the microwave or salad fixings already chopped up and ready to go. The primal egg coffee makes a great small breakfast. I just do 3 egg yolks and coffee in the blender and forget all the other ingredients Mark recommends.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    When I eat breakfast it's usually a cheese stick and coffee or tea. That keeps me pretty full till lunch. Otherwise I might make bacon or sausage for the week and have a little each day but I find those do better as a side to eggs (which you can make quicker than cereal almost I just don't like to clean the pans). Otherwise I can eat a ton of sausage before I get full. But I don't do that most weeks.

For dinner, leftovers. Pretty easy.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    First thing I did was throw out the idea that there are "breakfast" foods and other foods. It's all dinner food all the time for me. This means if I make extra at dinner time the leftovers can be my breakfast and/or my lunch the next day. Every week I bake a whole bunch of chicken breasts or fish fillets and keep them on hand for breakfast and lunch. I keep potatoes around to nuke in the microwave or salad fixings already chopped up and ready to go. The primal egg coffee makes a great small breakfast. I just do 3 egg yolks and coffee in the blender and forget all the other ingredients Mark recommends.
    I was going to say, with time you'll get past the idea of "breakfast, lunch, dinner" and it will just be "food." Ironically, conventional breakfast looks less like food than any other meal. So coming up with paleo-fied versions of conventional breakfast food is a waste of time. Just eat more of the same as what you'd eat at a later meal, or skip the early morning meal altogether.

Some variation of Garbage Stir Fry is easy to make a large batch, and makes fantastic leftovers.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Well, frying eggs in the morning never takes very long. I work from home, mostly, so I can usually just make up some lunch... however, when I go into the office I just hack up veggies, toss them in a BIG tupperware container and top with a can of tinned salmon. Then I make some dressing with olive oil, balsamic and umeboshi paste in a seperate container. Take it to work with two tins of oysters and some dark chocolate. Noms for the day.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    It gets easier with practice.
    This is *so* true. As you try different things out, you will find things you like, that you don't mind preparing, that easily give you a meal or two of leftovers and over time you will settle into a routine that feels easy to you. If you have days or weeks where you settle for things that you don't feel great about, don't worry, you'll get better at getting it together to cook the good stuff.

I used to think it was impossible to cook dinner during the week and now I manage at least 3 nights most weeks. I'm not sure how my days expanded to make the time, but they did. Chopping veggies is the most time consuming thing I do. I'm getting much better at doing that, either on the fly or in advance.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast