Wait....you're not joking....
When I read your post the first time, I was about to say that Vermont has got to be in the top 5 states to live primal. I have not lived in every state of course, but in living in Florida, Cali, Colorado, and Alaska, I would put it right behind Alaska....and AK ain't for everybody
I will make this bullet-pointed and rooted in daily life.
* Where in the hell is there GF beef for $28, and how is that person not in a prison somewhere. Also, that price is for what? Angus prime filet or ground? I live in the absolute middle of nowhere, even for VT....within TEN MILES of my home I have 7 different farms I can buy beef from. I can also buy pork, lamb, chicken, duck from these same purveyors. My prices range for ground goes from $3.99 a pound to $7, depending on breed, cut, and freshness. Also, I am personal friends with many of them, and often just barter for food.
* In case you have not noticed, cows and deer are pretty much our mile markers here. If you are running a shortage of either one you are either a vegetarian or a very bad shot
* There are farm stands of organic food in just about every town there is. 1-stoplight towns always have a farmstand and a farmer's market at least once a week, all year.
* Hiking here is world class. You have the Catamount, Long Trail, and Appalachian Trail all within an hour of here. All are accessible and free, as is camping in them.
* You are in the #1 state in the country for non-commodity food production per person. (Once corn, soy, and wheat are taken out). 2/3 of the people I know here grow their own food. Many sell it.
* If you were to go to the Burlington Market, which takes place for 8 hours every Saturday all year, there are between 200-300 booths. A huge number sell their own food they grew themselves, and yesterday over 60 were selling meat. I went there to get grass-fed beef livers, and found over a dozen that had it. That is pretty damn rare....Rutland has a LARGER one, as does Brattleboro. I found a guy yesterday selling rabbit and duck exclusively, including a bag of rabbit livers for $3 a pound, and he WAS OUT OF THEM!!!!!
* Hunting is a culture here unlike anywhere else I know....again, more use of wildlife mgmt areas per person, outside of AK of course, than any other state. Processors are much cheaper than other places I have lived, and its not illegal to hunt on private land unless it is posted. It is a hunter's paradise.
Just saying, it's not exactly a tough sled to be primal in VT. You can walk around in no shoes and a loin cloth if you want....most people won't even bat an eye. Keep Vermont Weird, as they say
Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 09-15-2013 at 01:55 PM.
"That's the best revenge of all: Happiness. Nothing drives people crazier that seeing someone have a good f-ing life." - Chuck Palahnuik
"But I do not want comfort. I want God. I want poetry. I want real danger. I want freedom. I want goodness. I want sin." -- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
"I worry about my judgement when anything I believe in or regularly do begins to be accepted by the American public." -- The Great One