Thread: WSJ Report fatty liver in kids page

Ariana30 is offline Senior Member

WSJ Report fatty liver in kids

Primal Fuel
    The Wall Street Journal today discussed among housing prices and investments an article that children are popping up with diseases common in overweight adults. Fructose unlike other sweeteners is processed through the liver and can be stored as fat there. Kids eating lots of this cheap toxic sweetener who are overweight are most at risk. Feeding sweets to kids horrifies me. You can only do so much in a completely deceived culture where adults think they're doing something nice by giving a cute kid say, a lollipop. Why not hand over a cigarette while you're at it? The Southwest Asians while I was overseas confided their opinion of Americans being too fat. Who can argue when greedy business men/women who manufacture health destroying toxins labeled as "food" have a close working relationship with pharmaceutical companies and doctors.
    Last edited by Ariana30; 09-15-2013 at 12:38 AM.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    The one that blew me away was when I was watching "Sugar, the bitter truth" and learned that baby formula has so much HFCS that it's the equivalent of a "shake in a bottle". Disgusting! That's NOT food. It's no wonder kids have an addiction to sugar- many of them are fed sugar from day 1. (Obviously I'm excluding breast fed infants)
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    Food is just one variable.
    Physical activity is far more an important variable for kids. And kids are influenced by parents and teachers.
    Few but ripe.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    There is nothing wrong with a lollipop now and then. The problem is that most foods that seem like foods have sugar and corn syrup as ingredients, and even when it's listed you don't have any real idea how much is actually in there. So you can think you are feeding your kid real food but you aren't. Try reading labels at a 99c only store. There is almost nothing there in a can that isn't tainted with sugar.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    There are probably some uncomfortable demographic lines to draw here. I regularly visit neighborhoods of various income levels and there are absolutely places where cookies for dinner is not an emergency compromise but weekday routine. I knew one immigrant family who did that because their landlord charged outrageous rates for cooking gas.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list