Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metabolism and keeping lean page

clewis217 is offline Junior Member

Metabolism and keeping lean

Shop Now
    So I've been following this trainer by the name of joe donnelly who is an ex nfl player turned trainer. He's very inspirational and breaks a lot of nutritional myths that are out there in the fitness industry. Now this article might seem a little off topic when it comes primal but he makes a fantastic point when it comes to one of the top elements which controls your weight (your metabolism). The post got hundreds of shares and was very popular in the interwebs. So thought I would share and hopefully you'll get what I got out of it. Check it out.

https://m.facebook.com/joeydfitness/...27896523919835https://m.facebook.com/joeydfitness/posts/527896523919835
    223 Delicious & Healthy Paleo Recipes:

Get them here.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Wow that is awesome. You posted a link to this guy's FB page a few days ago, which I immediately followed. Thanks for sharing this! I am not one for cardio much but I know I can do a couple HIIT sessions a week. I am going to change up my lifting by not doing more reps of lighter weights, but instead doing less reps with heavier weights. Looking forward to seeing how my body changes and adapts to this!

Quote Originally Posted by jodi29 View Post
    Wow that is awesome. You posted a link to this guy's FB page a few days ago, which I immediately followed. Thanks for sharing this! I am not one for cardio much but I know I can do a couple HIIT sessions a week. I am going to change up my lifting by not doing more reps of lighter weights, but instead doing less reps with heavier weights. Looking forward to seeing how my body changes and adapts to this!

I know huh? Really awesome post by him. When I saw this post , it completely changed the way I looked at lifting and nutrition. I no longer do long steady cardio anymore. He is a little hardcore but the things he posts are absolutely amazing. You should also check out his life story he posted probably about a month ago how he got out of the nfl. Also very inspiring. This man is the real deal.

Get them here.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Lol.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    What a ridiculus bluff this guy makes.
    Actually do the math:

figure out how much HIIT raises metabolism
    how much a few pounds of muscle raises it
    how much intense SS cardio it takes to lower it
    how much food does it take to make all of that irrelevant

Or more realistically google up one of several people who has done the math.
    Lyle Mcdonald is the only one I remember by name,

"Without metabolism you are dead in the water. You could ea no carbs/ fats, finish each day in a 500 calorie deficit, doing 2 hours of cardio, but with no metabolic or low metabolic rate"

So much for the credibility of anything he says.
    With no metabolism you won't be worrying about losing weight. Or anything else.

"damaged their metabolic rate so much that their BMR may be as low as 2-300 calories per day"

That's about what the brain uses by itself.
    A healthy brain, maybe not this guy's.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Lifting weights, building muscle. High intensity lifting. Women i cannot stress this enough. You need to lift hard, heavy and often. You dont get bulky from lifting weights, you get bulky from the cupcakes you eat. Adding muscle adds to metabolic rate, more specifically the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns
    I have a question about this. I believe it's absolutely true, but at the same time, it's very hard for women to build a lot of muscle. We can get stronger with the muscle we have, but building lots of it? Very difficult. I've been lifting weights for 9 months and have built some muscle but not a lot. So is it really VOLUME of muscle that matters or is it STRENGTH and density of the muscle you have that matters?

By the way, I believe it is true you can damage your metabolism with excess low intensity cardio combined with chronic low calories because it happened to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewis217 View Post
    So I've been following this trainer by the name of joe donnelly who is an ex nfl player turned trainer. He's very inspirational and breaks a lot of nutritional myths that are out there in the fitness industry. Now this article might seem a little off topic when it comes primal but he makes a fantastic point when it comes to one of the top elements which controls your weight (your metabolism). The post got hundreds of shares and was very popular in the interwebs. So thought I would share and hopefully you'll get what I got out of it. Check it out.

https://m.facebook.com/joeydfitness/...27896523919835https://m.facebook.com/joeydfitness/...27896523919835
    Completely bollocks IMO, but that’s what most people want to hear anyway, so whatever rocks your boat! As some Youtube twins use to say; “do whatever f**k you wanna do!"…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have a question about this. I believe it's absolutely true, but at the same time, it's very hard for women to build a lot of muscle. We can get stronger with the muscle we have, but building lots of it? Very difficult. I've been lifting weights for 9 months and have built some muscle but not a lot. So is it really VOLUME of muscle that matters or is it STRENGTH and density of the muscle you have that matters?

By the way, I believe it is true you can damage your metabolism with excess low intensity cardio combined with chronic low calories because it happened to me.
    Matters to what?
    The metabolic cost of a pound of muscle is about 6 cal a day. Fat is 2 cal a day!
    So it's weight that does add something to BMR but the numbers are insignificant.
    Strength training can help fix metabolic pathology(like IR)
    Doug McGuff for one is big on the idea that NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) caloric burn goes way up when we (re)build strength.

There is reason to believe that the lower the BMR the longer we live so lower doesn't exactly correspond with damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    What a ridiculus bluff this guy makes.
    Actually do the math:

figure out how much HIIT raises metabolism
    how much a few pounds of muscle raises it
    how much intense SS cardio it takes to lower it
    how much food does it take to make all of that irrelevant

Or more realistically google up one of several people who has done the math.
    Lyle Mcdonald is the only one I remember by name,

"Without metabolism you are dead in the water. You could ea no carbs/ fats, finish each day in a 500 calorie deficit, doing 2 hours of cardio, but with no metabolic or low metabolic rate"

So much for the credibility of anything he says.
    With no metabolism you won't be worrying about losing weight. Or anything else.
    I've never really looked at it that way as far measuring how much your metabolism raises from each workout session you do or however you want to measure it. I'll have to look up Lyle McDonald's research and check him out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyways, the point Joe is trying to make is that irresponsible trainers/coaches that have clients who compete in bodybuilding or physique competitions have a misconstrued idea that for them to be able to make weight and get down to a certain bodyfat percentage, they must lower their calorie intake ridiculously low (yes there are athletes that screw themselves up so much that their BMR gets insanely low), do insanely long cardio sessions, and eat nothing but tilapia and asparagus everyday for weeks at a time and end up screwing up their thyroid and their metabolic rate as the result.

He's pointing out that "too much" long steady cardio and not eating enough calories can screw your metabolic rate if you're not careful. He suggest not only switching to HIIT to boost metabolism but also so you can keep more calories in your diet if your trying to lose or maintain your weight. Now, am I saying that HIIT is the answer to everything? Not at all, but I think he has a good point. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Get them here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast