Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discipline page 2

ConnorBryant is offline Member
    Cheers for the heads up on the "New? Start here" page. That's quite unintentional actually. Seems something was lost in translation between brain, fingers and html. Thanks!

That's awesome.
    I'm curious if you tried a more general, 'mainstream' version of paleo before going VLC Paleo? And if so what the difference in terms of sticking to it was.
    I've find for me, and for clients in general (not neccessarily food related), that making something more restrictive is actually easier to do.

Thanks Anthony. That's awesome that you're kicking ass on the diet front. And sounds like the lifting part too.
    How was it at first though? making that initial switch, resisting what you had been eating etc?

For myself in the past, and for many clients, the knowledge is all there...they know what they SHOULD be doing....but

Hey Knifegill,
    So your take on it is that basically, for you, it wasn't a matter of resisting foods, but eating as much as you wanted of the good foods first so that there were no cravings for bad food left to resist?
    What did the liver do for you?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you have it right. I eat as much as I want of Primal foods I like - most of the time. And lost 50 pounds doing just that! This was my first "diet" and I don't think I'd have touched it without the caveman label. It's kind of extreme, odd and fun, and scares boring people. I need to scare boring people to feel alive.

Liver fixed my lifelong malnutrition. I was a macaroni and cheese kid and rarely had real meat. So by my 20's I was falling apart, and my head was full of incorrect nutritional notions. I thought bready food had everything I needed (TV told me so, and my family knew no better, povertous folks), but since I was still hungry, I clearly needed to eat more, because the cravings were so strong. So I'd eat an entire pizza and a box of twinkies and have two sodas and just keep eating, eating, eating. Cutting those out helped, but I still wanted to eat - everything. It was like mild pika. Then I tried increasing my (good, real) meat, and that helped. But the liver finally hit the spot. Once I had adequate B vitamin intake (and all the rest, you know how amazing liver is!) my intense cravings finally went away. Whether I was B12 deficient or what, I'll never know. I never had labs done back then. But I lived on Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and soda. Everything I ate back then had a brand name and a half-mile of ingredients. I can promise you I was vitamin-deficient in a huge way.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorBryant View Post
    Incidentally, how much of a role do you all think Discipline/Willpower plays in your adherence/.starting of a primal/paleo diet?
    It's kind of my research focus and focus of my learningthesteel.com blog.
    So, I'm genuinely curious. Let me know...
    Well... I don't think willpower plays much of a part, honestly. Before I went Primal, hunger could be almost painful. Now it's... ignorable. I know I'm hungry, I know I could eat something, but I can easily say 'later' if I don't want to for some reason. Things that would have sucked me in before have no allure now.

The main place where willpower comes into play is when someone brings something into the house I really like. But if it's gluten free, I usually just make it my 20%. Gluten treats I usually just pass on by, the only exceptions being holidays. And even then I don't have some crappy cookie, I have a piece of an amazing cake from a local bakery, or a cupcake my sister made. I never eat low quality bad stuff anymore. If I'm going off primal, it's for amazing things. I suppose my bar for temptation has been raised in general.

Haha. Yeah knifegill, know exactly what you mean about scaring boring people.
    As paleo becomes more and more mainstream though, what's PLAN B for scaring boring, normal people?

I'm waiting to get funding/backing to do some research into the specific effects of meat on changes to mental health/personality (changes in focus, intensity, discipline etc). Liver would be an interesting variable to throw into the mix...

Wilrose. Gotcha. But starting out must have been pretty willpower intensive yeah?

Any beginners here who struggle with willpower? Or all into the "got it handled" phase?

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Re willpower I think there is a new dynamic at work in paleo eating because we focus on the most nutritious foods (IMO) so the more of that you eat, the less hungry you are, hence willpower is less necessary by default.

Its no wonder that so many people are confused regarding diets and are having emotional problems associated with food - because of misinformation. If you can address this, as the paleo diet does, then willpower is no longer quite so relevant when it comes to controlling your diet. You are able to rely on hunger mechanisms again, the body can regulate itself.

A lot of people when starting out on paleo, have been used to controlling their hunger all their lives, and the transition is being able to eat the approved foods according to hunger, which can actually be a lot of eating in the initial stages, whilst your body accesses the nutrients it may have been starved of for years - saturated fats would be a good example here.
    Last edited by Owen; 10-13-2013 at 04:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12