Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Almond Flour page

Dawnbennett420 is offline Junior Member

Almond Flour

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing the paleo style of eating for two weeks for my family (3children) and I... I have found great recipes and most have almond flour in them... My question is about the phytic acid in the almonds. I have read that eating too many almonds in not good because of this.. I also have read that with almond flour the almonds are blanched so a lot of the acid is gone. So I am wondering is it safe enough at that point to be baking with it and having like pancakes and few times a week plus the baked goods.... ( I do not like using the coconut flour). So how many times a week can I be using almond flour.. I am concerned to use it too much now.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    From my experience, baked goods made with almond flour tend to sit like a brick in my stomach. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't go beyond once or twice per week.

As far as coconut flour goes, there are actually a few different kinds which yield different results. I'd recommend messing around with different recipes, because they can be quite different. As an aside, coconut flour makes great muffins.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I think a handful of almonds a couple times a week isn't too bad. But I try not to bake with almond flour. I tried a recipe a few weeks ago for pancakes made with sweet potatoes, eggs and a tiny bit of coconut flour and they were quite good.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    There are several good reasons not to go nuts on nuts (I minimize them actually). Small doses of phytate won't hurt anyone but it's still a lot of calories and omega-6 that can displace other foods.

Almond flour is popular among low-carb folks but kids don't need to worry about that. Pancakes don't need to rise so almost any starchy plant will work--cassava, plantains, chestnuts, etc. You can either use the flour or boil and mash a fresh one. If I want fat I'll top them with butter, creamed coconut, or grated baking chocolate.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

I like coconut flour. If I use almond, its a small part of my recipe. I generally use a blend of flours in my baked goods: coconut flour, shred or macaroon coconut, hemp flour - and if you are doing chocolate stuff, cocoa or cacao act as flour. I also use a lot of eggs to give body.

lanhuazhi is offline Junior Member
    you are right, If I want fat I'll top them with butter, creamed coconut, or grated baking chocolate. thanks

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You can make pancakes with just egg and banana. You don't need any flour substitute at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You can make pancakes with just egg and banana. You don't need any flour substitute at all.
    My daughter actually prefers these now to her old wheat flour pancakes. They do have a bit of a stretchy, spongy texture to them that might take some getting used to. Spread very thin, they roll beautifully as a crepe.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've used nut butter instead of banana.

Cocoa/cacao is a flour substitute. You can make chocolate crepes and pancakes

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Next to wheat flour, it's my opinion that almond meal is the least healthful due to the high amount of oxidized polyunsaturated fat (you're baking a high omega 6 fat, NEVER GOOD!) and its extreme calorie content. It may be worse for you than wheat flour if you aren't gluten sensitive. I'd strongly recommend moving to baked goods that use coconut flour, tapioca starch, white rice flour or potato starch. You can make a decent wheat flour replacement by blending white rice flour and tapioca and potato starches, and coconut flour alone works very well for pancakes, waffles and baked goods meant to be very "cakey"...like chocolate cake or banana bread.

Masa harina from a non-GMO source is also generally acceptable since it is nixtamalized - treated in a limewater solution, as in limestone - which kills the mycotoxin and makes the vitamins much more bioavailable. You can use that to make your own corn tortillas or cornbread. Cornbread waffles aren't half bad I tell ya! Sure, they're fattening if you're loading them up with butter and syrup and consume a big stack regularly, but they're not necessarily unhealthy.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-16-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast