Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray peat's explanation of gelatin and effect on lipolysis. Clarify please

Hybrid View

Ray peat's explanation of gelatin and effect on lipolysis. Clarify please

Gelatin, stress, longevity

Just read this article and would love to know if Ray is suggesting that inclusion of gelatin in the diet will inhibit fat loss. He seems to be suggesting that its anti estrogenic properties inhibit lipolysis. Any other articles I've read suggest that gelatin can help with weight loss in terms of regulating insulin. Am having a minor brain melt down trying to get a phd in biology reading all this stuff. I consider myself to be doing well considering I had never heard of lipolysis 6 weeks. Damn you Ray and your blinding us with science stuff.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

the way for fat mass to be lost is through beta-oxidation to co2, if you oxidize more fatty acids than you take in, you lose fat. Lipolysis creates excessive NEFA by design, so it's not responsible for fat loss.

Ray is pointing out that gelatin can stop lipolysis from creating excessive NEFA
    Last edited by Derpamix; 09-14-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Make America Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    the way for fat mass to be lost is through beta-oxidation to co2, if you oxidize more fatty acids than you take in, you lose fat. Lipolysis creates excessive NEFA by design, so it's not responsible for fat loss.

Ray is pointing out that gelatin can stop lipolysis from creating excessive NEFA
    I still don't understand what this means. You're just like him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post

But surely the only way to lose fat is by burning the NEFA released by lipolysis. If eating gelatin inhibits this then it inhibits fat loss.

Not that I'm in any way against eating gelatin as part of a whole foods diet. Cooking lamb shanks for dinner tonight
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    But surely the only way to lose fat is by burning the NEFA released by lipolysis. If eating gelatin inhibits this then it inhibits fat loss.
    More fatty acids are continuously released from fat cells than are actually used by the cells. Some lipolysis and reesterification is happening all the time.
    Make America Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post

Not that I'm in any way against eating gelatin as part of a whole foods diet. Cooking lamb shanks for dinner tonight
    And so I am at the start of my journey again
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kikiperpie View Post
    While, theoretically, some may say that gelatin hinders fat loss, take comfort in the fact that many people on this forum have lost fat while taking gelatin on the regular, using it as a significant source of protein even. I myself find that it curbs my appetite, aiding in creating that coveted (and hotly debated) calorie deficit. Now, adding it to your wine may not be the best practice for fat loss, but trying it out certainly couldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Lol..seriously, it will drive you nuts if you let it. I found myself doubting what has worked so well for me just cuz. Well that and Derp said something about vlc people smell and Mo and others claim something about Keto rage. I had to remind myself that I am not VLC and I smell like a rose. The rage thing..we'll see.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thinking a bit more, eating any protein or carb will stimulate insulin which inhibits lipolysis and promotes esterification (storage of fat dominates). This is quite normal and should not be feared. It is only a problem when insulin is chronically high. Limit the number of times you eat each day and there will be plenty of time during the day when insulin is low enough for fat burning to dominate and fat loss ensues.

In other words, don't sweat the insulogenic effect of gelatin, just eat three square meals per day
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

It's as I said, with insulin, and gelatin, they suppress lipolysis and the concentration of free fatty acids in the bloodstream decreases. It doesn't hinder fat loss.
    Make America Great Again