Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ray peat's explanation of gelatin and effect on lipolysis. Clarify please page

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member

Ray peat's explanation of gelatin and effect on lipolysis. Clarify please

Shop Now
    Gelatin, stress, longevity

Just read this article and would love to know if Ray is suggesting that inclusion of gelatin in the diet will inhibit fat loss. He seems to be suggesting that its anti estrogenic properties inhibit lipolysis. Any other articles I've read suggest that gelatin can help with weight loss in terms of regulating insulin. Am having a minor brain melt down trying to get a phd in biology reading all this stuff. I consider myself to be doing well considering I had never heard of lipolysis 6 weeks. Damn you Ray and your blinding us with science stuff.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    the way for fat mass to be lost is through beta-oxidation to co2, if you oxidize more fatty acids than you take in, you lose fat. Lipolysis creates excessive NEFA by design, so it's not responsible for fat loss.

Ray is pointing out that gelatin can stop lipolysis from creating excessive NEFA
    Last edited by Derpamix; 09-14-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Eat meat with the sinews and tendons still on and you don't have to worry about gelatine. I'd say chicken feet and skins do the best job, but just eating the 'trimmings' off a steak and drinking bone-broth could work just as well. You get all the biological benefits of gelatine from keratine and bone containing parts of animals. (The primary benefit is actually linked to tendon strengthening.) And eating tendons shouldn't have much of an effect on your weight either way. It's part of the whole package we were designed to consume.

No need to overcomplicate things.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. Derpamix you are clearly a scientist. I wish I could retain that info as readily as you seem to. I need science 101.

Kochin I do try to eat all of the meat and have made a couple of pots of bone broth but have to be honest I find it a bit urghhh. Am still searching for a decent recipe. And sometimes i find the sinews etc a bit much to stomach. I know I'm a primal wimp.
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Ray Peat is a quack.

Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Ray Peat is a quack.
    Lol. I have vilified him mentally also.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I tried to read some Peat, and it was like cheap sci-fi. He expects the reader to just trust his story. Very odd stuff.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I tried to read some Peat, and it was like cheap sci-fi. He expects the reader to just trust his story. Very odd stuff.
    Were you able to read some of his stuff?

Weren't you blinded by carbs?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Carbs are great for most people.

My own IBS and resultant uveitis were just an unfortunate opportunity to show that starch is unnecessary for good health, not that they are harmful in and of themselves. Yeah, I'd like to be able to eat starch again, it's a lot cheaper than steak and eggs! And if you have a healthy gut, you lucky bastard, eat all the starch you like. I hope to restore my own gut health in the near future, so I can eat cheaper food like potatoes and not go blind.

It's the weird pseudoscience that I can't get past. It's like he wrote his own book on biology out of thin air, and refers to it. It's almost like a Monty Python sketch, but then there's no punchline.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Zach is offline Banned
    The jealousy is palpable.

Also, fuck starch. Sugar is infinitely superior.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast