Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did the price of grass-fed beef increase suddenly in your area? page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Wow, grass fed local stuff around here is $16 - $25 or more a pound. The local grass-fed guy appears to have gone out of business. His pickup place is gone and his stall at the farmer's market is gone. Not sure what that means. The Trader Joe's gf beef is from New Zealand. Having your beef fly half way across the planet? Seems odd that it's cheaper.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, grass fed local stuff around here is $16 - $25 or more a pound. The local grass-fed guy appears to have gone out of business. His pickup place is gone and his stall at the farmer's market is gone. Not sure what that means. The Trader Joe's gf beef is from New Zealand. Having your beef fly half way across the planet? Seems odd that it's cheaper.
    But when you wake up every morning you find yourself in beautiful Santa Barbara.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    But when you wake up every morning you find yourself in beautiful Santa Barbara.
    Yeah, and I get hit on the head by giant avocados when I sit out in the back yard. Wait, where did I put my tiny violin? Oh crap, I think an avocado crushed it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    I lived in SB for a few years in the mid 80's. A more beautiful place is hard to find.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    That is a great price at Trader Joes. I haven't been able to find any gf in my area. Where is this Trader Joes?
    Miata I live pretty close to you. I am on the Peninsula and over in Redwood City there is a market called Sigona's that sells grass fed ground beef for $4.99/lb. It has been this price for years. It's a really cool little family owned market you should check it out.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

greenporter is offline Junior Member
    NYC: I stopped in @WF earlier in the week to price check gf beef and saw the sign for Friday ground beef sale. They were out of gf flank but the butcher told me that it comes in from a NJ farm Friday. So I asked my wife to stop in early friday to stock up on ground beef and to pick up the flank. She managed to get the last 3lbs of gf ground but the flank was $17.99/lbs and [thankfully] it was already sold out! Apparently, many NYers are eating gf @ any cost and they order it in advance.

I was bent on making jerky this weekend so I stopped at a small butcher shop I go to occasionally in the countryside. I always thought they were pricey but in talking to him about his meats was surprised when the butcher told me ALL his beef is gf and pork is Berkshire. So I had a big grin paying $11 for his gf flank.

Btw, the jerky came out awesome.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    It's in the freezer with the fish at my TJ.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks. Got a bunch for the freezer at home.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Miata I live pretty close to you. I am on the Peninsula and over in Redwood City there is a market called Sigona's that sells grass fed ground beef for $4.99/lb. It has been this price for years. It's a really cool little family owned market you should check it out.
    Thanks. I'm in Sunnyvale, so a little far. There is a place in Mtn. View I usually go to on Castro, but they haven't been very reliable -- especially when making special orders for things like liver.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Thanks. I'm in Sunnyvale, so a little far. There is a place in Mtn. View I usually go to on Castro, but they haven't been very reliable -- especially when making special orders for things like liver.
    Sunnyvale isn't too far from Redwood City it's only about a 15 minute drive one of our favorite Indian restaurants is in Sunnyvale.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps grassfed beef prices have increased because pasture season is coming to an end in cooler climates and volume is down. It's always grain season in CAFO operations, so there'd be less volume fluctuations due to temperature.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast