Thread: Maffetone Method page

Tigerllo is offline Junior Member

Maffetone Method

Primal Fuel
    I used to be a runner and gave it up because of injuries. I want to try again, but I don't want to get into the "chronic cardio" mode. Phil Maffetone encourages running at very low heart rates to force your body to rely on fats instead of carbohydrates. It seems like this would qualify as the low level aerobic activity that we should get more of, but it also has the chronic cardio edge to it. How do you really define low level aerobic activity?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Dr. Maffetone's stuff qualifies for the "move frequently at a low pace" portion of the Primal pyramid. Mark defines that as 55-75% of max heart rate for 2-5 hours a week.

So if you do a little math... with me as an example. 220-age is approximate x .55-.75 gives a PB target of:

102 - 139

The Maffetone method gives us a target HR of:

180- age (35) = 145

So the Maffetone method sets HR of 145 as my max HR for aerobic training and that means my training zone is about 135-145 if I remember this stuff right. So yeah, thats just about at the top range of "move frequently at a slow pace".
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-14-2013 at 07:44 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Give it a try. You will be so slow that you will not be actually running. There's no way you can call such a slow pace "chronic cardio" or even "cardio". I did it for a while and barely got any faster, but I did get to a point where I could run for hours. The longest run I went for was almost 3 hours. It was sort of fun but I didn't feel like it was doing much for me. I've gotten a lot more of a feeling of progress and making real changes to my health and my body through strength training and sprinting, the opposite of what he recommends. Perhaps we are all wired differently.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Give it a try. You will be so slow that you will not be actually running. There's no way you can call such a slow pace "chronic cardio" or even "cardio". I did it for a while and barely got any faster, but I did get to a point where I could run for hours. The longest run I went for was almost 3 hours. It was sort of fun but I didn't feel like it was doing much for me. I've gotten a lot more of a feeling of progress and making real changes to my health and my body through strength training and sprinting, the opposite of what he recommends. Perhaps we are all wired differently.
    I had similar experience. Did a fast walking program until I reached the 'aerobically fit' mark and found very little improvement in body comp or performance at other things. I do think I was significantly healthier with better lab numbers though.

I'm sure the best thing to do is maintain that level of aerobic fitness AND do the anaerobic stuff.
    ie - follow the primal fitness blueprint