Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The land of the constantly afraid page

texas.grok is online now Senior Member

The land of the constantly afraid

Primal Fuel
    Civilization, in fact, grows more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. Wars are no longer waged by the will of superior men, capable of judging dispassionately and intelligently the causes behind them and the effects flowing out of them. The are now begun by first throwing a mob into a panic; they are ended only when it has spent its ferine fury.
    ~ H.L. Mencken

Because I spend so much time outside of the USA, when I'm home and watch TV it is so obvious how much fear based propaganda comes out of the idiot tube. Some subtle, some not so subtle.

There was a time when being an American meant something. It meant a spirit of freedom and a willingness to take on anyone that would deny us of that freedom. An individual or a country, Americans were known for not backing down. Right or wrong, we stood up for ourselves, our family and our country.

But now we seem to live in a state of media-hyped fear of everything. From the latest strain of the flu to unknown terrorist to the fear of not having money, the media, with the government’s support, keeps most Americans afraid of not only their own shadow but everyone else’s’ shadow.

But with that fear mongering, comes a solution. A new drug, a new government program, a new “War on”, new laws, new restrictions. All supposedly designed to keep us safe from others and ourselves.

Of course we will lose some rights or will take away the rights of others but in the interest of security, most Americans will readily agree.

I think I first started noticing this when pharmaceutical companies were allowed to advertise on TV. I think this was back in the 90s sometime and I remember an advertisement for something heart related that was a man going about his day with a hospital bed following him around through his office, on the street, etc. just waiting for him to fall over from a heart attack. The commercial was more about fear of a heart attack than what the drug actually did for you.

Today little has change. I seldom watch the news but when I do, it is all about fear. Fear from another country, fear from another religion, fear from a new stain of flu…and it goes on and on.

I don’t think I was ever as ashamed of a president then I was when Bush made the comment that Iraq was a grave danger to the USA. Really? Iraq? Did anyone even look at the map to see where this country was before accepting his lies?

The end result of this is a society of weak, fat and unhealthy citizens that are scared to do anything unless the get some type of validation from the TV or the government.

We are told how to drive, what to drive, what to eat, where we can and cannot go, what papers to carry, who to be afraid of and who to trust. And it is mostly sold as being for our own good.

What kind of life is it when you live in fear? What is the quality of your life when you live in fear that your next breath might be your last (so take our new and improved drug!) or that some country on the other side of the world is going to bomb us (so we must strike first, right?) or that if we go 5 miles over the posted speed limit, we automatically become a danger to ourselves and others?

Fuck that, I refuse to live my life in fear. My life will end, tomorrow, next year, or in one minute. I won’t live in fear until that time.

I will live my life on my own terms and damn the consequences.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    *standing ovation*......
    I'm happy to see that there are more people who see the world like I do...It has taken me a few years but I realized the same thing about the European union last spring. We don't deal with issues of war as much as you Americans do but here it's the economy that is used to beat fear into the people...

There is this song 'Dance until we die' by Omnia that has become my life song... I think I listen to it every day... it's about all you have said...

Sadly in Europe freedom is an illusion we let our government create. We aren't free to improve our house, nor are we free to bring down a tree to replace it with fruit trees and we are certainly not free to decide whetter we want to work or not... even woman with children are almost forced to work...

I'm with you on this... f**k them, f**k the rule, we'll just dance until we die

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Keep people afraid, and you have control over them. It has worked with government, religion, you name it for centuries.

I think it is easier to reach more people now with the media. I can't stand it when the news reporters use fear to keep you hanging on the channel during commercials to bring you a 'special report' on how to save your family from disaster, death, murder, etc.

We can't walk through the house without fear of falling over a shoe to our death, or put our baby in a car because we might not know how to properly put in the car seat, or it might have been recalled. Fear of everything we do, say, buy, and eat.

I totally agree to just F**k them and live my life. I am not stupid. I can think for myself and make decisions. We live, we make choices, and eventually we die. It is the same for everyone. I have to wonder if ppl weren't afraid to die, maybe they wouldn't be afraid to live either....
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you texas.grok. While I won't go as far as to say that the PTB in the US helped plan 9/11, they sure as shit took every advantage of the fear it generated to dismantle the Bill of Rights. And the sheeple went baahhh and happily accepted the anal probes (cameras, wire taps, an unbridled NSA, etc.).
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    And they say people aren't beginning to wake up and see? Prepare for revolution, folks.
    nihil

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    And they say people aren't beginning to wake up and see? Prepare for revolution, folks.
    We need to quit hitting the snooze button and get the fck out of bed already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Hoist the pirate flag, make money, pay no mind to naysayers, vegans, or those in skinny jeans, and do whatever the F is best for you and those you care about. If you have enemies, ignore them or crush them like a viking king.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Good post. I wrote something very similar the other day based on my own thoughts and experiences.

Yes, fear makes people become submissive, no doubt about that.

"You are either with us, or against us".

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well said Randal. Wow dude. I'm with you 100%! I've noticed it too over the past 10-20 years. The people I work with are terribly afraid at all times. I don't know how they can live like that. And then there's me...Mr. happy and optimistic. Always able to see the silver lining in any conversation. They hate that.

Don't think I am sticking my head in the sand. Quite the contrary. I watch the news, I occasionally look at news websites and newspapers, so I'm informed. But I think about it realistically. I used to be like everybody else and believe all the media hype, propaganda, lies, whatever you want to call it, but eventually I got wise and saw it for what it was. The media's job is to sensationalize everything and cause fear.

Years ago I took a statin daily because my doctor used fear to push it on me. And it worked like a charm. I took my pills religiously. He said, "If you don't start taking a statin immediately, as in today, you face a serious risk of having a heart attack!" I was 25 years old, with no symptoms of any disease or ailment, except for a high cholesterol number. His words scared the crap out of me. Screw him and his fear mongering.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast