Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The land of the constantly afraid page 5

Natureman Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I live in Mexico City and when I go to visit family back in the U.S. I notice the mentality of fear. Could be because a lot of the crime in the U.S. has no purpose. Take the guy from Australia who was shot and killed while out jogging. Said they did it because they were bored.

Plus the lamestream media as was mentioned...always throwing out fear! Fun, scurry, flee!!!!! Sad mentality in my country today.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    A few mornings ago, I jumped outta the wife's car en route to the gym. It was 9am'ish, and I was wearing gym shorts and a t-shirt. I was carrying in plain sight a netflix envelope. I jogged to the mailbox, deposited it, and jogged back.

A policeman had been pulling into the apartment complex (the mailbox is right at the entranceway), and he stopped as I did this. He stared hardcore at me, vigilant like, until after I ran back from the mailbox. Then he drove off into the complex, only after watching me mail something.

I am almost certain that he was thinking that today was his day, that HE would be hailed as jack bauer, and that he was excited to foil a terrorist mail bomb.
    He probably just wasn't used to seeing someone moving quickly on a voluntary basis. I get similar looks from people when I go up stairs instead of taking the elevator.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    We have a lot of learned helplessness because for years we were told that mass political action was a dead end. That you work through the market. Now that's mostly a dead-end.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    No, actually the learned helplessness comes from hearing the government will always take care of you
    Totally missed that message. Than again, I'm not a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Bill View Post
    I bet u miss a lot of messages. I'm sure a lot goes right over ur head
    Name-calling. You lose. Ciao.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Fear of the Power of the State is growing fast. In the late 80's the Fed. Gov't proposed the use of the "Clipper Chip" in telephones in which proposal the Fed's would have to get a judge in a regular court to issue a court order. The public outrage was so loud the idea, and it's partially built facility, was scotched.

Today we find that and much, much more is already being done, and there is not a peep from the public.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Paleo Goth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    ~ H.L. Mencken

Because I spend so much time outside of the USA, when I'm home and watch TV it is so obvious how much fear based propaganda comes out of the idiot tube. Some subtle, some not so subtle.

There was a time when being an American meant something. It meant a spirit of freedom and a willingness to take on anyone that would deny us of that freedom. An individual or a country, Americans were known for not backing down. Right or wrong, we stood up for ourselves, our family and our country.

But now we seem to live in a state of media-hyped fear of everything. From the latest strain of the flu to unknown terrorist to the fear of not having money, the media, with the government’s support, keeps most Americans afraid of not only their own shadow but everyone else’s’ shadow.

But with that fear mongering, comes a solution. A new drug, a new government program, a new “War on”, new laws, new restrictions. All supposedly designed to keep us safe from others and ourselves.

Of course we will lose some rights or will take away the rights of others but in the interest of security, most Americans will readily agree.

I think I first started noticing this when pharmaceutical companies were allowed to advertise on TV. I think this was back in the 90s sometime and I remember an advertisement for something heart related that was a man going about his day with a hospital bed following him around through his office, on the street, etc. just waiting for him to fall over from a heart attack. The commercial was more about fear of a heart attack than what the drug actually did for you.

Today little has change. I seldom watch the news but when I do, it is all about fear. Fear from another country, fear from another religion, fear from a new stain of flu…and it goes on and on.

I don’t think I was ever as ashamed of a president then I was when Bush made the comment that Iraq was a grave danger to the USA. Really? Iraq? Did anyone even look at the map to see where this country was before accepting his lies?

The end result of this is a society of weak, fat and unhealthy citizens that are scared to do anything unless the get some type of validation from the TV or the government.

We are told how to drive, what to drive, what to eat, where we can and cannot go, what papers to carry, who to be afraid of and who to trust. And it is mostly sold as being for our own good.

What kind of life is it when you live in fear? What is the quality of your life when you live in fear that your next breath might be your last (so take our new and improved drug!) or that some country on the other side of the world is going to bomb us (so we must strike first, right?) or that if we go 5 miles over the posted speed limit, we automatically become a danger to ourselves and others?

Fuck that, I refuse to live my life in fear. My life will end, tomorrow, next year, or in one minute. I won’t live in fear until that time.

I will live my life on my own terms and damn the consequences.
    I live in the murder capitol of the U.S. (a title traded back and forth between us and Detroit) and I work downtown in the thick of murder. We have reason to fear. A basic respect for life, a need to sustain one's life, and a fear of the consequences of violent action, has been replaced by explosive frustration, general societal rage, and a feeling of futility. Within a ten-mile block of my workplace, there have been recent workplace shootings, school shootings, dozens of muggings, hundreds of car thefts, home-invasions, and at least 10 homicides on a Friday/Saturday night.
    It's not fear-mongering, at least not in St. Louis. Violence and fear are real here.

And on a positive note, it looks like the people of the West have turned back the War Machine on Syria.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    In France and Belgium, a baby is not declared alive until it's 26 weeks old. Lower infant mortality = more reported still borne and dead birthings, even if it's kicking and crying. Whala, alakazam, our socialized, Government controlled Health System is superior to yours.

Welcome to Obamacare, unless of course, you are an elected Federal Official or on staff, then you are exempt.
    Explain to me how that works, please.

M.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast