Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The land of the constantly afraid page 3

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fear is the forerunner of failure ...

Great post, pal. It is interesting to read this kind of self-searching comment. We're next. The UK always follows the US, so at least we can watch your TV and see what's in store for us. The funny thing is, we're like flies to a zapper - we just don't see what's coming.

Do take heart, though - you are not alone and "we" are starting to get organised.

You guys have Libertarianism, we have Anarchism. Apart from the word, the principles are very much the same. Self-reliance and co-operation with folks of a like mind when a task is to be completed.

Yeah ... there is so much out there designed to stop us, track us, trap us, steer us to become ... well, prey. Like cows shuffling towards the inevitable.

We're predators! Let's hear some roars!

ROAAAR!!!

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Really great post Randal - and gives me a sigh of relief whenever a voice breaks thru & I don't feel so alone on this topic. Bread & Circuses afterall...

The thing that trips me up is that while I agree, I can't help but suspect it comes down to personal perspective and from what "hill you are standing on" when you observe these things in a society. I mean, don't other countries have similar forms of fear-based controls? You don't have to advertise on tv about religious or societal repercussions if they are something you've grown up with & if they are constantly reinforced by family or strangers on the street. Aren't there omnipresent forms of fear-based control happening all around where you are now?

Simply because media has become the go-to form of injecting fear into the US citizen doesn't really mean it exists here to a greater degree, does it?

(Personally, I have a person who still calls me whenever something horrendous happens anywhere, in any country. As if I have to take it in, distill it, inject every bit of fear into my every cell and then go about my day. It's exhausting. I'm loving everyones perspective here and applaud the Live Now, Live Your Life sentiments.)

ps - Love the Zappa quote! I met his gal Pamela Des Barres years ago; she was a hoot.
    Last edited by spk; 09-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Really great post Randal - and gives me a sigh of relief whenever a voice breaks thru & I don't feel so alone on this topic. Bread & Circuses afterall... .
    Thanks much to you and all for the kind words and regarding bread and circuses, panem et circenses indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by spk View Post
    Aren't there omnipresent forms of fear-based control happening all around where you are now?
    Good question and I would say not, or at least, not as much. I'm in Egypt and there is enough "clear and present danger" that fear mongering is more reality than imaginary. Or at least for now it is. But even with the reality of Egypt, it is not as bad as portrayed in Western media.

But just in the area of health care, medical care here is not as profit driven as it is in the USA. Pharmaceutical have little sway over the doctors because doctors don't write prescriptions, as such, like they do in America. They recommend what you should take and you go to the pharmacy to buy, over the counter, what would normally be a prescription drug in the USA.

And, sadly, compared to the USA I'm much freer here than in my country of birth. You have to be doing something very, very stupid to get into trouble with the police here. Like drunk your of your mind, driving down the sidewalks, running over people level of stupid (yes, they brew and sell alcohol in Egypt).

There are more restrictions now than usual due to the current security situation in Egypt but once the state of emergency is lifted, it will be back to 4 am closings of the bars with after hour bars that run until 11am.

People here just don't seem to be afraid of everything as they are in the USA. More open, more social, and, overall, very friendly.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    What do you imagine can be done about the national condition?

I don't ask to be an asshole either- I know that a lot of people are aware of the ambient hysteria. Awareness of it though only contributes to more of it if there is not even a mirage on the horizon of a solution.

In my experience, this fear comes from the fact that people have long ago internalized powerlessness against the forces that scare and menace them.

So, in my own life, among my own circles, I go for like a Fight Club kind of empowerment cultural idea; social and political behavior only happens as a consequence of subterranean individual impulses and forces.

My moon club fight festivals are getting more popular; next week is our 4th month hosting fight nights with a raked pit of one-on-one bouts. We are adding dancing girls before the fights next week, to engender more aggressiveness and competitiveness in the men.

Everyone that participates feels differently about their potential to defend themselves as a result, which necessarily changes their perspective on their environment over time.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    What do you imagine can be done about the national condition?
    Honestly Mr. Pefidy? Nothing can be done. While there are pockets of wolves in the flocks of sheep, the sheep way outnumber the wolves.

I'm afraid that the USA, as a nation as founded, is long gone and likely never to recover.

To be brutally honest sir, the best thing that could happen is a complete and total collapse of our country with the hopes that, out of the ashes, a nation of strong and free people would emerge. The strong would survive, the weak would perish. Brutal but that is natural selection at work.

Like many diseases, the disease of being sheeples is one best cut out and destroyed rather than allowing it to spread any further than it already has.

And thinking that substantial change can come through voting is nothing more than the definition of being delusional.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    @ Derp

For as much as I am aware of your disdain for me, I very much enjoy your political/societal writing. I don't agree with you about a lot of the nutritional stuff, but I respect you. You think, and that is more than most people can say. Whether I agree with your conclusions 100% of the time is not as important as that for me.

As for solutions, I don't take the approach that all must collapse before anything would happen....I believe that only a portion of it has to collapse, in certain places, and for the groundswell of change to become large enough to take over. I hold no illusions that it will, or should be, the SAME solutions in every place....people where I live would have very different ideas about what would make an ideal society, over say West Texas. I support both, as each place would find their own semblance of revolution and community.

I can trade my own currency where I live, and barter can be used to get just about anything. (I didn't pay for much of my own construction materials for my home, as an example. I agreed to supply him use of my land, logging rights, and free medical care to his extended family)

All change occurs on an individual level, and community has a role in increasing the palatability of that change. I take the mentality that each of us lives our own way, and in doing so we are constantly pushing change on the world. Our actions are our votes, in other words....and at a certain point, a change becomes widespread enough that actual political/economic structures are put in place to align with it. I have heard this called "working for the 100th monkey"; if 100 start to do something, the other 10,000 all adopt it too.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to leave the country to see this. After I returned from hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, reading the news or watching TV just infuriated me. It was all so freaking obvious and how on earth does everybody fall for it?

Lately it seems that every segment on the news has me yelling out "is that a commercial for another one of your network's properties?" Or "is that what passes for news these days?" as I watch another stupid segment about some celebrity or some random person doing something heartwarming or FFS about hot dog legs photos on the web. Holy christ on a cracker, is this what we've become? When I was a kid the news uncovered Watergate, told you the nightly body-count in the current war, showed you how your grocery store was selling spoiled meat and stuff like that.

The only thing I can think to do is to just keep living my life as best I can, try to save money for retirement and at the same time make backup plans for how to retire without money in case they find a way to steal it all or devalue it to oblivion to keep me enslaved. I'm hoping one day everyone will grab their pitchforks but they're not ready yet apparently, so I'm just sharpening my tines and waiting...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Hey, Laz, no hard feelings here. What you wrote in this topic I fully support. I admire you for using a trade based exchange rather than the worthless paper currency we have currently. Debt? No problem, just print more paper. It's not even backed by anything, so, it's no wonder the debt is piling up. It's going to collapse soon, probably within our lifetime. The system we have always will end up in this situation.

Virtually every naturally emerging market in history has been a credit-based one, and it's the only way it should be. I think minarchism would be the first step before full anarchy, and it would get people used to free markets. Free market will fix it is completely correct.

Check this out: http://www.commonwealthofbelleisle.com/
    Last edited by Derpamix; 09-14-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    nihil

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    I enjoyed the link about Belle Isle....I had heard of it on a site before and didn't know it had gotten any actual traction anywhere. Actually read a few newspaper articles about it just now.

I support the idea, but I am leery of the implication some of the sites I saw had about it....primarily, there is a mentality that says that "the millionaires will save us" that I think completely misses the point. I can give a real world example of why it doesn't work.

In my previous home in Florida, there was a doctor that was very successful, very bankrolled, and had a ton of notoriety. He was an eye surgeon that had written the book on many anterior segment procedures....he started small, had one office, was just a normal doc. Within a few years though, in some ways due to his family wealth as well as his personal achievements, he had opened up in a big 4-story building. It was like a castle for eyes.

Three years after this, he approached a doctor I knew personally and offered to buy his practice. He was willing to pay much more than it was likely worth, and my friend sold it to him....the same went for about a dozen other locations. He had bought up every place that performed cataract surgery in a 50 mile radius.

At first, his fees were just what anyone else would charge. Eventually though, he began to charge extortionate rates, because he could. Many of his offices were in very affluent or retirement areas, and they had few other options if they wanted private care....

He became a business and medical titan. He got paid just to speak to people...and he even went into politics. He became one of the drafters of Florida's health laws, especially regarding his own specialty.

Today, as I write this, he is sitting in a jail cell. Turns out he was laundering money, bribing congresspersons, and was convicted after many of his accomplices turned on him. I would give his name, but much of any search in S Florida will give it to you.

My point is that the rich, free markets, none of this will do anything but worsen things unless they are kept out of the political process with extreme prejudice. As Derp has said, to do otherwise, and to allow them to WRITE the laws themselves as corporate entities, is the definition of fascism according to Mussolini. The problem with a "free market" is that it does not stay remotely free, and is instead monopolized as it gets its hands into the levers of political power.

A true free market of voluntary entrance by the people, heavily policed by the people, is the only way. In this sense, the economy will serve the people, rather than the people serving the economy as it is now.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Belle Isle strikes me as a bankers version of utopia; low tax, low regulation and business friendly. Everyone working in finance and investment. Keep the industrial filth across the river and create a prettified, walk friendly compact city over on this island. With a brand spanking new citizenship. Within an existing country.

Let me guess, are they policed by Blackwater et al?

Personally, I've occasionally felt we've had too many petty freedoms and lose sight of the long game. Personal freedoms, fine––I'm all for that. But it seems like we've become a hug obsessed society, concerned w/ having 15 choices of toilet paper.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast