Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The land of the constantly afraid

Shop Now
    I actually enjoy posts like this on here.....we actually tend to stay much more civilized than most internet forums over anything remotely societal or political, and it is nice to see much of anything intelligent on the subject.

I have maintained for a long time that there is no such thing as a "free country", only free people. I believe that the idea of an entire governmental apparatus that guarantees freedom to all is a fantasy, just as it is for the government to guarantee much of anything. A government of any kind cannot impart freedom, it can only allow it for those that seek it. It is a power structure, after all, by default. It must control to ensure its survival....the question is how far in does it reach its tentacles to choke out freedom amongst all, or only some. Freedom is a continuum, in other words, not an absolute. In some countries, freedom is nearly impossible. The government, religious forces, business all collude to make property, happiness of how you see fit, all but impossible to improve upon. Taxes, price fixing, and roving death squads killing people for religious reasons all work against the citizenry....information is curtailed, and constant warfare of some kind, even the gov against its own citizens, provides all rationalization for any crimes. (Syria, to be current, is an example of the extreme of this)

There have always been, as recognized by many enlightenment philosophers such as those that inspired the United States, 5 separate entities that must be pushed back to allow for freedom....The problem that I usually have with people, or a group or political party, is their willingness to ONLY acknowledge the threats to freedom that they want to fight, while allowing for other forces to be unchecked. These are:

1) The government itself
    2) Religion
    3) Very large, monopolistic businesses
    4) Information providers
    5) War

In the US, the right wing goes bananas over #1, the government itself, while often supporting the curtailing of liberty through numbers 2,3, and 5. They dislike the media for its clear cherry-picking of information, as well as the government's constant erosion of rights....they often stick to a hyper-masculine compensation idea of "protecting the 2nd amendment", while ignoring the fact that the other 9 of the bill of rights are what are ACTUALLY getting taken away...I support all ten, with equal fervor.

The left wing in the US has no problem at all with #1, feeling that the government can go no wrong and is capable of fixing even deeply engrained cultural or economic disparity. Often they have less a problem with the media, although this is changing.

With this all laid out, it is easy to see that ALL FIVE of these forces against liberty require fear to continue their erosion. The same 5 forces are at play in every country, to different degrees. The founders of the country, especially in attempting to read every word Jefferson every put out for print, were well aware of all five....each group today wishes to ignore or even support the others on the list that they aren't in arms about....if one picks up anything Jefferson wrote, there is about a 90% probability he is speaking about one of the five above, and fear underpins them all.

I am optimistic that things will change once things get bad enough to mandate it, but I feel that each of these 5 forces will require each a reframing of their own. In a sense, we need 5 revolutions, or a single truly powerful one that gets it. Fear is control, and all 5 need that control to continue.
    "The soul that does not attempt flight; does not notice its chains."

In America there is a merger of corporate and state powers, this is fascism. You can guarantee that in this situation, nothing you see in corporate and industry paid media will be the truth, and you're frequently subjected to media blackouts where they keep all of the problems from you in exchange for useless fantasy and celebrity scandals. This is a powerful form of brainwashing. The officials in the US government no longer represent its own people. Other nations come in frequently and tell the US government repeatedly "stop killing your citizens". You see this with their repeated objections of untested GMO and pharmaceuticals as well as neonicotinoid pesticides in our crops that is killing 90% of our bees which are needed for pollination of our food. The results of this are disturbing to say the least.

The US is paying billions into these corporations, which inhabit a very large majority of diplomats. You are now a terrorist if you complain about GMOs. There are secret blackops operations you don't even know about which are also used to protect corporations like Monsanto.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 09-14-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Make America Great Again

I have a feeling the current FDA Food Pyramid is part of the way the government keeps us sick, weakened and afraid. The government tells you that you MUST get a mammogram! You MUST get a flu shot! There must be a trail of data that is collected at every vaccination, every MRI. I wouldn't get a flu shot on a bet.

I never watch the news - not ever. Every story seems to be polarizing - keeping the population fighting each other.

A population of healthy, free thinking, fearless people is exactly what they do not want. And is exactly what we all are here. Yeah for here!!
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. ~P. G. Wodehouse

It is.

America is one of the most underprivileged countries in health. Eg; highest infant mortality, worst healthcare, and one of the lowest survival rates passed middle age. First world problems? The US also has the lowest child benefits of any nation, and 1 in 2 children are raised by single parents. The US is #1 in income inequality, the wealth gap is the highest it's ever been since the great depression.
    Make America Great Again

I <3 Texas Grok! I always look forward to reading your posts.

Hubby said after listening to NPR this morning that all of their shows vacillate between propaganda and irrelevancy. This is why I like to minimize my contact with mass media the same way I avoid mass produced foods both are deleterious and should be avoided.

The net effect of the all the fear mongering is that domestically Americans are some of the most passive people, the majority will put up with anything as long as they have a steady flow of calories and entertainment.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

In times of war, the American citizens are shown to be very pacifist, with most opposed to war of any kind. This is where media and false flags come in, to unite the citizens with a common cause. Tragedy has to happen to provoke our citizens into action. Frequent propaganda buzzwords with no meaning are then used, for example "freedom", "terrorism", but there is a thin line between heinous violence and virtuous violence.

I love these topics too, because I have a lot to say on them myself, and I love to read people who even share some of my opinions. It's a breath of fresh air. Together we can make a difference. Even small, it takes small steps to grow the seeds of insurrection.

Laz mentioned fear, and it's true, but there is really nothing to fear. We have all your back, and we outnumber them greatly.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 09-14-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    Make America Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    We have all your back, and we outnumber them greatly.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

^ I love that video
    Make America Great Again

Me too!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Shop Now
    I think that Frank Zappa said it best when it comes to the illusion of freedom:

Thanks for all the response all.

The illusion of freedom fades away once you step outside of your environment, like living outside of the US, and see it from the outside.

Sad that a country founded on freedom has now become a country of scared sheep blindly following the ass of the sheep in front of them to the edge of the cliff.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/