Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dizziness from carb flu? page

Neiby is offline Junior Member

Dizziness from carb flu?

Primal Fuel
    After falling off the wagon a couple of years ago, I'm back on it and going through carb flu...I think. I feel yucky, weak, wobbly, foggy, achy, peeing like crazy, and have headaches, etc. All the usual stuff that I experienced last time. However, this time I'm also experiencing quite a bit of dizziness and nausea that I did not experience before, or even when I tried Atkins about 10 years ago. Is this fairly common? I didn't think that I was limiting my carbs that much. I still eat veggies and salad, and I had a couple of paleo fruit smoothies and almonds. I'm also drinking more water than normal to try to flush stuff out. I wouldn't think I had dropped the carbs far enough to feel this bad, but apparently I have. I'm about five or six days into it and I've only really been feeling nasty with dizziness for three days.

I happen to be a total hypochondriac and now I'm worried that I have a problem with my ears affecting my balance.

Has anyone else experienced this much dizziness and nausea while going through carb flu?

Following up to my own post, I just tested my ketones and they're really low, just a trace. I wonder if this time I'm actually sick and it's not carb flu. Hmmm....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    If you think its your ears, try taking some Dramamine. Are you trying for ketosis?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    have you checked your blood pressure? It could be low BP due to electrolyte imbalance. Up your salt intake!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    have you checked your blood pressure? It could be low BP due to electrolyte imbalance. Up your salt intake!
    Take 300-400mg of magnesium and 500mg of potassium as well.
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 09-14-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Salt is not the only electrolyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    If you think its your ears, try taking some Dramamine. Are you trying for ketosis?
    Ideally, yes, although I guess I shouldn't be drinking primal fruit smoothies if I want to get into ketosis. I have about 50 pounds to lose, so I'd like to really get things kick-started.

That's a good idea about the dramamine. If this doesn't go away soon, I'll give it a try. I've been awake for a couple of hours and the dizziness just now started up again, and it's very slight at the moment. It's just noticeable, but nothing bad. We'll see how it goes.

I haven't checked it, but I wondered if that might be part of the problem. I think I do get enough salt, but I may need a little more this time, at least for a few days. If I get a chance, I'll try to find a way to have my BP checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo0731 View Post
    Take 300-400mg of magnesium and 500mg of potassium as well.
    I took a magnesium supplement and also a multivitamin that has potassium in it. I'm eating plenty of meats and vegetables, and I had a banana last night along with some blackberries in a primal smoothie. I would hope that I'm getting enough electrolytes, but it's hard to say. Maybe I'm still low on something. It took two hours of being awake today before the dizziness started to kick in and it's still very slight. I hardly notice it, but it is there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just a side effect of the dropping some carbs from my diet.

One weird thing I noticed is that if I chew some gum that I regularly chew, it seems to get worse rapidly. I don't know if it's the chewing motion, which would seem to go along with an ear problem, or if it's the artificial sweeteners in it that I may have suddenly developed a sensitivity to. Kind of strange, but it very noticeably gets worse if I start chewing that gum. Needless to say, I'm cutting that gum out of my life for now. :-)

marc is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If your getting "carb flu" after a big change in your diet, then its normal. :-)
    Try to organise your carbs so they are purpose built.

I avoid Carbs early morning, tend to Eat Chicken mid morning with a Potato.
    A Pork filled Sandwhich in the afternoon (Grok did eat a primitive form of bread after all)
    3hrs before Bed, just a Potato by itself, with some Cheese.
    Cheese gets a bad rap, but its a product of evolution, just like Meat consumption when Fire was discovered. I would suspect soon after discovering fire that agriculture didn't happen far long after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast