Thread: YAYOG 10 week programs - not enough core exercise? page

Decko is offline Junior Member

YAYOG 10 week programs - not enough core exercise?

Primal Fuel
    I've been looking for a solid bodyweight only program so I got the Mark Lauren YAYOG iPhone app. I started on the intermediate program a few days ago and I'm enjoying it, however I noticed core work isn't really introduced until a couple weeks in and even then it's only 1 day per week. Everything I've done/read before suggests 2-3 days per week with core work, just wondering if 1 day is really enough or if I should add in core work on other days as well.

Drmike is offline Member
    It's the best program out there. Almost every exercise you will do works your core. Just wait till you try 1 arm pushups. They will make your core work in ways you never thought possible. If you want more core stuff just add some planks and side planks

Decko is offline Junior Member
    Alright cool, thanks!

vinr is offline Junior Member
    Hey Guys..first time here - sorry to Hijack the thread - quick question -
    I am starting YAYOG next week - have both the book and the Iphone App. I also have been doing beach body insanity on and off for a while now. I like insanity but its not very useful for muscle building and thought I would do YAYOG for that. I am looking for advice - can I do both at the same time like doing insanity in the morning and YAYOG in the evening? I dont want to over train either. I am reasonably fit and have been completing Insanity workouts without much issues - any advice would be appreciated. Thankyou for your time.

Cheers

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    vinr, Its generally not recommended to do 2 programs at once. Most people can't recover fast enough to make gains that way. When you say muscle building, are you talking just strength, or are you talking about size? If you are looking strictly for muscle size, you might want something other than YAYOG. It will definitely help with strength, but not as much with size. To get big biceps and pecs, you would be better with a barbell program.

gergirl Guest
    If you do the YAYOG right, there shouldn't be enough energy to do another workout - less is more. I'm doing the YAYOG ( big fan of the DVD - easier to get into the programm, form is key) and every training I'm adding some more core or! arm or! leg exercises, on strong days some (HIIT/)cardio ahead.I cycle the circuit, ladder and timed workout and try to feel which muscles want to get "shredded"

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decko View Post
    Everything I've done/read before suggests 2-3 days per week with core work
    What kind of checkout line magazine crap is that? You'd be hard pressed to find any legitimate strength training program that recommends any core specific work.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    What kind of checkout line magazine crap is that? You'd be hard pressed to find any legitimate strength training program that recommends any core specific work.
    Lol sounding a little grumpy today notr

I'm a big fan of yayog. I'm currently on week 5 of the 1st class program, though I had a week off last week due to moving house and I figure all the humping and dumping if boxes and scrubbing the house made up for it.

If I find some of the exercises too easy or not enough volume I just change then. For instance, instead of doing the assisted door pullups or assisted dips I do unassisted for the recommended number of reps. I'm actually finding it a lot easier this time round (did it earlier in the year too) and don't know if it's because I'm using an Android now instead of an iPhone and the apps ate a little different or is because I was doing the steak and egg experiment at the same time the last time I did yayog.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Lol sounding a little grumpy today notr
    Yeah...sorry. I just meant that any core specific work should be an accessory thing or something extra. Not the focus of a workout 2-3 days per week. If you are doing all the proper exercises, your core should get plenty of work
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    As one of my threads made clear I don't even like the term ' Core ', they are all muscles and have their individual names and functions.....they should be worked just the same as any other muscles !