Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long layoffs page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Long layoffs

I have had a 6 week layoff from the gym. Before the 6 weeks, I squatted 140lbs x 1. Today I squatted 85 x 5 but it seemed hard. My legs hurt trying to stand up again. My back was like wtf do you want me to do? My shoulder blade was like wtf is this painful thing on my back? Presses weren't much better. 50lbs was like holy crap you want me to lift 50lbs? Everything is back to the beginning it seems.

While I am doing strength training I'm always pretty beat up. These last 6 weeks, after the first week of recovery, I've felt pretty good. Healthy, happy, bouncy, sunny. I'm kinda dreading resuming the strength training on Monday.

Does this happen to you? How many times have you started over again with your training?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    I had 2 weeks off, and I did lose a slight amount if strength and things felt like more effort. But now in 2 weeks in and almost normal again ( feeling just as great as before but still a touch behind on certain things)

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    3 weeks break, lost 25% strength in squats & deadlift . Nearly back to it after 3 weeks back on.
    Bench & milli press only went down 10-15%

From London England UK

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    you should absolutely not lose strength over the 2-6 week period.

I lift ONCE EVERY 4 weeks! and put the weights UP each time.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I haven,t lifted since early July. Restart yesterday. Didn't try to get near previous weights, maybe at 75%. Felt OK, like i could have done a bit more, but happy with not pushing it. DOMS onset is beginning.... Will lift again tuesday and try to get back into the swing of things.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    How the heck do you lift once a month and lift more each time? I did manage to squat once after 3 weeks of this long layoff and I was so crippled with DOMS I could barely move for a week after that. And I only managed to get up to 120lbs when I had left off at 140. Today I'm a tad sore from the 85lbs I squatted yesterday.

It's not like I'm completely immobile when I'm not in the gym. 2 of those weeks was backpacking for a total of about 120 miles or so. I did air squats and lots of pushups, pullups and dips the other weeks. I went for day hikes. Maybe it's being a lady that makes it so easy to lose strength? At least I still have muscle you can see.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    How the heck do you lift once a month and lift more each time?
    By being relatively untrained.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    By being relatively untrained.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    Even if that was the case for me personally, my trainer doesn't work any of his clients more than once a week at the very most
    He has said i could probably move to twice monthly, but that doesn't fit for me right now.

And the point is i would not expect to lose any strength over 6 weeks, if i can increase over 4 weeks.

At the worst it would be maintaining

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do lose some strength if I take a lazy month, but it comes back in like a week. That is low-level, body weight stuff though. I've only just begun to do power cleans and bench presses, so I have no data yet.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast