Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fat Guys Primal Support Thread page

fmyurich is offline Member

The Fat Guys Primal Support Thread

Shop Now
    I'm starting this thread as a support group for fellow food addicts, such as myself. If you are like me you've tried everything, including the Primal Blueprint and failed either because of emotional eating, lack of discipline, or whatever. My goal is for all of us that struggle with addiction to have a place to come to network with like individuals suffering from similar afflictions as a means of support and accountability. Together we can do this.

Apparently I'm the only one. I tried a different approach this time by weaning myself off of SAD carbs. First by cutting all processed starches, second I cut out whole wheat, third I cut out potatoes, then corn, and then oats. Right now I'm allowing brown rice for another week. I did all of this in 2 week increments. It has worked for me so far, weaning myself off as opposed to cold turkey. I'm doing this for a lifetime so there was no need to rush. I haven't craved any of the above foods after eliminating them.

leighlu is offline Member
    Plenty of people on this website struggle with this problem. It definitely can be conquered. Other than a week long relapse when my Dad died this year in May, I have been binge free for two years. I think that you need to find what works for you. I am a cold turkey kind of girl. But some people need to ease into it. Support is key and great idea with the thread.

Myrtille is offline Member
    In the past, I tried several times to go primal but it didn't last long. Because of sugar addiction and very bad gut flora (both are linked).

I have been primal for two months now and it seems to last. Here are the few changes I made, which made all the difference for me :
    - I took a lot of pre/probiotics at the beginig to improve mu gut flora during the transition to PB.
    - I refuse to feel frustrated or to have a bad opinion of myself if I eat a cake. I noticed that, in the past, failure came after a frustration as looking friends eating a cake. Now, I eat things I like when I am invited or when I go to a restaurant, that is my 20%.

Binges can be psychological but not only. They come from bad gut flora and it starts a bad circle which ends to sugar addiction. So it can't be just lack of discipline, don't have any guilty thoughts about that.
    PB is a virtuous circle for sugar addicts. And don't forget to eat more fat, it will help.

How do I know if I have gut flora issues? Did you just eat greek yogurt or take a supplement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    In the past, I tried several times to go primal but it didn't last long. Because of sugar addiction and very bad gut flora (both are linked).

I have been primal for two months now and it seems to last. Here are the few changes I made, which made all the difference for me :
    - I took a lot of pre/probiotics at the beginig to improve mu gut flora during the transition to PB.
    - I refuse to feel frustrated or to have a bad opinion of myself if I eat a cake. I noticed that, in the past, failure came after a frustration as looking friends eating a cake. Now, I eat things I like when I am invited or when I go to a restaurant, that is my 20%.

Binges can be psychological but not only. They come from bad gut flora and it starts a bad circle which ends to sugar addiction. So it can't be just lack of discipline, don't have any guilty thoughts about that.
    PB is a virtuous circle for sugar addicts. And don't forget to eat more fat, it will help.

What makes it harder is the fact that there is no convincing my wife that primal is the way to go. Also, I have a six year old daughter so there's always treats and such. I just lack discipline at times. It's comparable to putting a crackhead in a crackhouse and expecting him not to smoke crack. I'm determined to go full bore this time. I'm at a point physically where my life depends on it. Thank you for your replies.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    fmyurich, your last post really got to me, you have to convince your wife, if she loves you she needs to support you. Tell her you want to be around to see your daughter grow up. I started eating this way first but I secretly hoped that my husband would get on board because as long as I'd known him he was overweight. That was 3+ years ago, he is fully on board, he's lost a lot of weight, no longer obese but he still has a way to go. He loves sweets and still eats primal treats. I'm sure someone on here can suggest some movies for your wife to watch.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Movie ideas would be great. I'm hoping once she sees me losing weight she'll be on board. At least for support. The problem is that she doesn't eat meat nor vegetables (except for spinach and lettuce and she will eat fruit). When dinner time comes around what are most 6 yr. olds going to choose chicken and broccoli with Dad or grilled cheese and mashed potatoes with Mom? I'm hoping change will start with me. My wife is tiny but I try to tell her that it will catch up with her someday. I really fear for my daughter later in life because although I ate SAD foods I still ate some types of veggies. --- Currently Im on Lisinopril (high blood pressure), cardivedilol (cholesterol), and testosterone. I'm 35. My maternal grandmother had diabetes and high blood pressure and died of congestive heart failure at 57 (this was rough because she was my bestfriend). My paternal grandfather was an insulin dependent diabetic, had high blood pressure, and died of congestive heart failure at 61. My great grandfather and uncle died of heart attacks at 40 yrs. old. At other end of the spectrum I had paternal and maternal relatives that lived well into their 90's. Unfortunately, I take after the other family members. That is why I say this is a life or death situation for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    fmyurich, your last post really got to me, you have to convince your wife, if she loves you she needs to support you. Tell her you want to be around to see your daughter grow up. I started eating this way first but I secretly hoped that my husband would get on board because as long as I'd known him he was overweight. That was 3+ years ago, he is fully on board, he's lost a lot of weight, no longer obese but he still has a way to go. He loves sweets and still eats primal treats. I'm sure someone on here can suggest some movies for your wife to watch.

Myrtille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmyurich View Post
    How do I know if I have gut flora issues? Did you just eat greek yogurt or take a supplement?
    You know you have bad flora if you have bloatings and , sorry by that, weird poop.
    I did take a supplement and eat kefir. I think greek yogurt is fine, but try to buy them organic.

PrimalCon New York
    Movie ideas would be great. I'm hoping once she sees me losing weight she'll be on board. At least for support. The problem is that she doesn't eat meat nor vegetables (except for spinach and lettuce and she will eat fruit). When dinner time comes around what are most 6 yr. olds going to choose chicken and broccoli with Dad or grilled cheese and mashed potatoes with Mom? I'm hoping change will start with me. My wife is tiny but I try to tell her that it will catch up with her someday. I really fear for my daughter later in life because although I ate SAD foods I still ate some types of veggies. --- Currently Im on Lisinopril (high blood pressure), cardivedilol (cholesterol), and testosterone. I'm 35. My maternal grandmother had diabetes and high blood pressure and died of congestive heart failure at 57 (this was rough because she was my bestfriend). My paternal grandfather was an insulin dependent diabetic, had high blood pressure, and died of congestive heart failure at 61. My great grandfather and uncle died of heart attacks at 40 yrs. old. At other end of the spectrum I had paternal and maternal relatives that lived well into their 90's. Unfortunately, I take after the other family members. That is why I say this is a life or death situation for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast