Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Fat Guys Primal Support Thread page 4

Willsellout is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I had a lot of similar issues (very stressful job, overweight, problems with food, low T) as well as a wife who isn't primal. Although she's super supportive and is on board with primal and tailors dinners around me. She did primal a while back and had a lot of really good changes happen, but she can't go as hardcore as I potentially could. She needs a good amount of carbs in her diet to feel good. She maintains below 150 grams, I hang right around 50 grams. We found a way to make it work, but it wasn't easy or quick. It took us a long time to figure out which vegetables we like and how to make the ones we didn't like delicious by augmenting them (roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and bacon fat anyone?).

and I hate to bear bad news, but if you dont' have the support you need (a wife that is onboard) you are going to be swimming uphill and it's going to be difficult. And if she knows your family history, I can't believe she won't at least try it with you for your benefit if nothing else.

What I did to get my wife onboard was talk about it, find the most delicious food ever, cook it, and let her know how delicious it was, present research to her, etc. and she got curious fairly quickly. We also watched a lot of food documentaries on Netflix. The food production system is disgusting and once my wife had her eyes opened, we started paying more attention to everything that came home from the store.

My word of caution is this: Primal is great, really great, but don't try and be perfect. Whenever you go from one extreme to the other, you risk failure. If you do a lot of reading on paleo and primal, you will find that things like potato's, rice, sweet potato's are readily accepted, so if you need that carb fix don't kill yourself trying to avoid the good ones available to you. If you need a sweet fix, grab some fruit and a piece of dark chocolate.

And realize that no one is perfect and everyone slips up. Keep that 80/20 rule in mind and allow yourself a little slack. Make sure to get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water, and move a lot/lift heavy things.

I've been primal for about a year, but I had slip ups for sure. I've lost about 40 pounds and have had pretty dramatic health improvements in that time despite weeklong or even month long slip ups.
    Good luck!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i have personally found that with the right amount of fat in the diet it is impossible to want to eat more food
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm not fat anymore. I lost 50 pounds 3 years ago and it never came back. Can I still play?

I LOVE to eat big, so when I heard about warrior-style eating and IF, it was instant success. I eat once or twice a day, and when I do eat, I eat most of my calories for the day at once. It's awesome.

Quitting snacking took work; I actually gained weight by replacing all the junk I was eating with almonds. But it didn't take long to get sick of almonds and then, I added in liver and more protein, and didn't want to snack anymore - not really.
    The meal frequency thing really does work. I don't do one real a day, but do a protein/fat lunch, usually around 600 cals, and a huge evening meal, 12-1600 cals depending on activity.

If you binge in the evening, split the big meal up so you can eat later too.

Don't worry about getting anyone else on board, just do it for you. Cook your own meals, cook theirs too, and as you change, your wife may come on board....maybe.

You can eat a shitload of food for 2000 cals a day, and lose weight, depending on your size, age, activity levels etc.

You can do this!!!!!!

Indeed Quelson. I struggle to hit my 2K calorie goals. More often than not I'm hovering at around 1800, and that's with me making myself eat food every few hours. If I went by hunger, I'd probably be closer to 1400.

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    some random comments.
    Artificially lowering your cholesterol will force your body to conserve where possible, thus the source of your low T.
    Biggest problem with the fruit is the carb cravings and insulin induced hunger. Same problem with frequent meals. Also, fructose is sent straight to the liver and converted to triglyserides, your big problem. Berries are preferred because they have the lest fructose, raisins the most. The 76 Dangers of Sugar to Your Health check the chart, way down the page.
    I get the feeling, you are still fat phobic.
    Make sure you are "grain free" not just "gluten free".
    Last edited by Greg Rx; 09-18-2013 at 11:06 AM.

As far as the low T is concerned, it could be any number of things. My endo mentioned to me that more often than not it's poor diet, body fatness, and lack of exercise that does the most damage, provided your endo system is working as it's supposed to. He also said stress and poor sleep habits are another significant culprit.

I read an article recently on a guy who managed to double his testosterone levels in three months with lifestyle changes. It included a primal/paleo style of eating, cutting out alcohol, exercising, and getting 8-9 hours of sleep per night. He went from mid 300's, which is just barely normal, to almost 900 which is about optimal for him. It was a cool post.

Quote Originally Posted by Willsellout View Post
    As far as the low T is concerned, it could be any number of things. My endo mentioned to me that more often than not it's poor diet, body fatness, and lack of exercise that does the most damage, provided your endo system is working as it's supposed to. He also said stress and poor sleep habits are another significant culprit.

I read an article recently on a guy who managed to double his testosterone levels in three months with lifestyle changes. It included a primal/paleo style of eating, cutting out alcohol, exercising, and getting 8-9 hours of sleep per night. He went from mid 300's, which is just barely normal, to almost 900 which is about optimal for him. It was a cool post.
    No disagreement UNLESS you are on a statin. If you are, that is your problem. Of course it is irresponsible to make absolute statements but this is one of those medical facts that drug companies, go to great lengths to cover up.
    On a slightly different tract, Dr Kruse believes that carb snacking after dinner, suppresses normal, nocturnal, testosterone and HGH release. His prescription is not far from the post you cited.
    I also believe that once you go down the road of testosterone replacement, it will be very hard to restart natural production. I have failed numerous times, even though I stopped lipitor 6 years ago. I can see why testosterone is a controlled substance, considered to have addiction and abuse potential. The fountain of youth in a cream, and it works.
    Last edited by Greg Rx; 09-18-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    I just want to clarify that our OP is not on a statin. He's on lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor that lowers BP. Nothing to do with cholesterol.

Edited to add: I see where you used to have carvedilol, OP, but that's not a statin either, it's a beta blocker, generally used for lowering BP.
    Last edited by Seaglassgreen; 09-18-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Goal: Feel good, be active!

You are right about carvedilol, but he is just confusing two drugs. He did state that his doctor held the cholesterol drug. He says he was on a statin, his numbers say he was on a statin, and his low T says he was on a statin. Now days, Standards of practice, dictate, high BP plus any other contributing factor should be on a statin. In the case of T2D, your cholesterol numbers do not even need to be elevated. We now know that statins CAUSE T2D.
    I know I over react but I think statins are the cause of many evils and should be pulled from the market. With their cognitive side effects, I worry about our politicians.

fmyurich is offline Member
    I was wondering what was wrong with these guys in Washington. Jk. You're right Seaglassgreen Lisinopril is an aCE inhibitor and I'm on the lowest dose 10mg. My doctor is hesitant on prescribing me a statin, which is good because I don't want none of it if possible. That's why I have changed my lifestyle. I feel it is a more holistic approach (treating the cause rather than the just the symptoms) utilizing this approach to eating.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast