Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fat Guys Primal Support Thread page 3

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    I have been Primal for 3 years. By the end of my first year, I had lost 65 lbs. Unfortunately, I never dealt with my emotional/binge eating issues. For the last two years, I have been yo yo ing around the same 20 lbs. I have a husband and 3 sons who are not Primal and likely never will be, so there is bad food in the house at all times. I am still looking for the right macro ratios for me that will minimize the binges and still allow for weightloss. It can be very frustrating when the enemy is oneself and there are no allies in the home.

For support, you might want to find some journals of others on similar journeys. You can access mine from the link below.

Paula

PS. The weight loss is only 50 right now due to regain.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

fmyurich is offline Member
    I'm right there with you on the emotional binge eating. I work in a highly stressful job and that's exactly what I would do when I got home from work. I could have ate perfect the whole day and blow it at the end of the day. Lately I just don't let myself do it. The statement "we are our own worst enemies" is so true. As far as the diet goes I'm just going to keep it simple for now. From what I see in a lot of the posts people make all of these different substitutes for breads, desserts, etc. and they are still very high calorie. I know we're not supposed to count calories, but eating foods made with flour substitutes in excess can't be good and I imagine is counter productive when your goal is weight loss. Besides that nuts are moderation foods for a reason. Just like white flour, when you process it you're essentially making a more concentrated version of it. --- Anyway congrats on the weight loss! If it was me I would focus on the fact that you, without a doubt, own your 50 lbs. weight loss and move forward from there. That's something to be proud of. How many people can say they lost 50 lbs. and kept it off? I know I can't. The other 17-20 you'll figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Hi,
    I have been Primal for 3 years. By the end of my first year, I had lost 65 lbs. Unfortunately, I never dealt with my emotional/binge eating issues. For the last two years, I have been yo yo ing around the same 20 lbs. I have a husband and 3 sons who are not Primal and likely never will be, so there is bad food in the house at all times. I am still looking for the right macro ratios for me that will minimize the binges and still allow for weightloss. It can be very frustrating when the enemy is oneself and there are no allies in the home.

For support, you might want to find some journals of others on similar journeys. You can access mine from the link below.

Paula

PS. The weight loss is only 50 right now due to regain.

I did pretty good today. I'm letting myself eat as much as I want for now. I worked out from 10:30 to noon. Fasted until 1 pm. First meal was Steamed Chinese vegetables and chicken. Throughout the day I had a handful of cashews, a banana, an apple, then chicken and brooccoli for dinner.

Seaglassgreen is offline Senior Member
    Good work! Sounds tasty!

Goal: Feel good, be active!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I'm not fat anymore. I lost 50 pounds 3 years ago and it never came back. Can I still play?

I LOVE to eat big, so when I heard about warrior-style eating and IF, it was instant success. I eat once or twice a day, and when I do eat, I eat most of my calories for the day at once. It's awesome.

Quitting snacking took work; I actually gained weight by replacing all the junk I was eating with almonds. But it didn't take long to get sick of almonds and then, I added in liver and more protein, and didn't want to snack anymore - not really.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

That's awesome! You know what's funny is a long time ago I realized that when I would eat breakfast (especially if it was the carb laden SAD one of cereal, or egg, potatoes, toast, etc.) that I not only felt groggy shortly afterwards, I would be hungry all day. Days that I skipped breakfast and waited to eat until I was truly hungry I ended up snacking less and eating less. Granted I would eat a much larger meal when i did finally eat, but it was still less food in regards to quantity and probably calories. Being the die hard researcher that I believe most people that grew up overweight are, I would start adhering to what everyone said "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" or "you need to eat small frequent meals throughout the day," or (the best one yet) "if you don't eat enough you'll go into starvation mode." I'm sorry but I have adequate reserves for the time being. I honestly think that some of us have a "survivor gene" in our genetic make up somewhere and that is why we are so efficient at storing fat. We were the ones that, through generations of adaptation from living in climatically and/ ecologically harsh environments, became survivors. Now that times aren't quite as tough our bodies don't require as much. That, to me, is a small part of the reasons why I believe in what Mark preaches about us being meant to be fat burners as opposed to sugar burners. During the "good times" we probably ate and ate and put on some "survivor" weight to help sustain us through the harsher times. More than likely, with me being of Eastern European descent, my ancestors would probably lived off of nuts that they either stockpiled or dug up after they were stored by squirrels and meat from animals that they hunted. I guarantee that nothing was wasted from the animal. Anyway I'm probably just rambling because it's so late and it's well past my bedtime. I just kind of feel like I have had an epiphany this time around and it's all making sense as to how my body was designed to thrive. I appreciate everyone that posts to this thread. I know my wife probably does too because I'm not talking her ear off about it. --- My goal for tomorrow: Make it through tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm not fat anymore. I lost 50 pounds 3 years ago and it never came back. Can I still play?

I LOVE to eat big, so when I heard about warrior-style eating and IF, it was instant success. I eat once or twice a day, and when I do eat, I eat most of my calories for the day at once. It's awesome.

Quitting snacking took work; I actually gained weight by replacing all the junk I was eating with almonds. But it didn't take long to get sick of almonds and then, I added in liver and more protein, and didn't want to snack anymore - not really.

Thank you. It was and I really wasn't all that hungry for most of the day.

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmyurich View Post
    My starting numbers are as follows: Liver Panel is normal

Blood Cholesterol - 166
    Triglyceride - 356
    HDL Cholesterol - 34
    CHOL/HDL - 4.9
    LDL Cholesterol - 61
    VLDL Cholesterol - 71
    LDL/HDL - 1.8
    eGFR (whatever this is) - greater than 60

The doctor said I didn't need my cholesterol med as of now. I have to make a confession. I haven't been very, uh, regular with my blood pressure med. I was honest with my doctor about it. Anyway I'm scheduled for another appointment to be retested in 3 months. I'm going to be 100% strictly primal throughout these next 3 months and see what happens. I'll keep everyone updated on a regular basis, should you be interested. As I said before I know I'll need support for those days I'm feeling less than primal. Also, I'm here for support as well for anyone else making this journey. I started this thread for for everyone that needs it. God bless.
    I just found this thread, love it. I have lots of comments but as a pharmacist whose life was ruined by lipitor ( my Sig ), lets start here..Your doctor held the statin because he over shot and your levels are too low. You triglyserides are too high but statins do nothing for that.The good news is that you can go full on primal,including all the saturated fat you want. If you go very low carb, the triglyserides number will fall in days, not weeks or months.
    Also, I get a strong sense that the statin is causing you to be depressed. Please check out the cognitive side effects. spacedoc is the best site for statin research. I also sense that stress is a major roadblock for you. More play.
    Have you seen Dr Kruse's leptin Reset? Added to the PB, it destroys cravings and hunger.
    As for your wife, just push for the whole foods diet, for the sake of your daughter. It will be very hard for her to fight you and will give you some common ground.

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmyurich View Post
    I did pretty good today. I'm letting myself eat as much as I want for now. I worked out from 10:30 to noon. Fasted until 1 pm. First meal was Steamed Chinese vegetables and chicken. Throughout the day I had a handful of cashews, a banana, an apple, then chicken and brooccoli for dinner.
    The apple and banana are huge mistakes when weight loss is your goal. If you eat a big enough meal, you do not need these snacks. These cause insulin release and keep you out of fat burning mode. I have such a large breakfast, that I can take a walk instead of lunch. Then I go home and have a pound of meat and non starch vegetables. Stake, mushrooms, and onions, sauteed in bacon fat, are my favorites. How can you snack after That?
    Breakfast is 4 farm fresh eggs, 5 strips thick sliced bacon, coffee with cream or CO, and a avacado mashed with hot sauce.

Right now I'm only on 10mg of Lisinopril for blood pressure. My work causes me the most stress. I think the major part of my depression, which isn't all the time, other than being overweight is the fact that I feel stuck. I know I "should feel grateful that I have a job" and yada yada yada, and I am to an extent. It's just hard finding something making what I make with the economy at its current state (I don'tbsee it getting much better). Anyway. Although I can't really control where I have to work currently, it helps big time tackling areas in my life that I do have 100% control over. These areas are diet and exercise. I can't blame anyone other than myself if I falter. Every little victory makes me feel good and that much more in control over my life. As far as the fruit goes I'going to ween off of it slowly. Starting next week it will only be berries, then eventually none at all until I reach my weight goal. My long term goal is to do this for the long haul. I know that it definitely wasn't apples and bananas that brought me to my current state so initially I know I'll lose some weight eating them. I'll definitely check out the leptin reset. Thank you for your input. It's appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    I just found this thread, love it. I have lots of comments but as a pharmacist whose life was ruined by lipitor ( my Sig ), lets start here..Your doctor held the statin because he over shot and your levels are too low. You triglyserides are too high but statins do nothing for that.The good news is that you can go full on primal,including all the saturated fat you want. If you go very low carb, the triglyserides number will fall in days, not weeks or months.
    Also, I get a strong sense that the statin is causing you to be depressed. Please check out the cognitive side effects. spacedoc is the best site for statin research. I also sense that stress is a major roadblock for you. More play.
    Have you seen Dr Kruse's leptin Reset? Added to the PB, it destroys cravings and hunger.
    As for your wife, just push for the whole foods diet, for the sake of your daughter. It will be very hard for her to fight you and will give you some common ground.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast