Thread: Fasting for IBS? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Fasting for IBS?

Shop Now
    I see a few people on the silly old interwebs have had some success with water fasts to alleviate IBS. I'm just wondering, is there any lasting effect, or are they just not experiencing digestive issues because they are not digesting anything for a time? I'd love to be able to eat starches someday again, my budget is getting cramped living on steak and eggs all the time...

Oh, and I'm pretty GAPSy already. I do kraut and kombucha.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-13-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    IDK about long-term effects, but I do know IF gives my IBS some relief. I see people say juice fasts do a world of a good for their IBS as it gives a bit of a break to digestion. Some people on the Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead forums have said 90-day juice fasts fixed many problems.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Well, I'm sure a few weeks of juice drinking won't kill me. Not diving into that one just yet, though. I know how fat I'll get. I mean, might be worth it if I can have a good gut and then lose the weight later...but I'll need more convincing. I'll read the threads you are talking about, J3nn. Thanks for answering!

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

diene is offline Senior Member
    You might look at namelesswonder's journal or just ask her. She's made some progress fixing her IBS with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Well, I'm sure a few weeks of juice drinking won't kill me. Not diving into that one just yet, though. I know how fat I'll get. I mean, might be worth it if I can have a good gut and then lose the weight later...but I'll need more convincing. I'll read the threads you are talking about, J3nn. Thanks for answering!
    You can probably do high-vegetable juices if fruits are too bothersome or scary for you.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Yes, to all of you! Good words! Keep them flowing! I'll give you all raphael catfish for your hard work, lol.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

You can go kinda Peaty and do juice, broth, and gelatin fast. Broth is supposedly very good for healing the gut, I can't imagine it's any worse than a juice!

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I have a bad IBS flare up or diverticulitis I will do a liquid diet to allow my intestines a chance to calm down and reduce the inflammation. During that time I drink lots of bone broth and watered down juices. I usually feel so bad that eating is really not an option. It really helps and I usually lose a little weight. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis and it is one of the few times I drink juice since I prefer eating my fruits and vegetables.