Thread: Vitamin supplements - What's the verdict? page

Bear is offline Senior Member

Vitamin supplements - What's the verdict?

I've been taking natural multivitamin supplements for many years, but have begun to question the wisdom of doing so if on a healthy diet. Why the need, I ask? So I quit taking them a week ago. I've noticed two things, which may only be subjective at this point, but nevertheless...they are: my digestive system seems "calmer", and I feel as though I'm sleeping better. Are these real reactions to not taking the vitamin? I don't know.

Does everyone here take vitamins? What is your take on the necessity?

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Depends on the vitamin. Does a calmer digestive system mean no nausea? No diarrhea? There could be something in the multi you don't need that excess of was causing problems.

There are lots of varying views in the Paleosphere on the necessity of excess supplementation. Some say have your bases covers, some say it's not needed. I say do what works for you.

I take what I need and sometimes what I think I need. Mag citrate for bowels, zinc/copper for experimentation, Vit D for deficiency.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    IMO almost all multivitamins are poorly designed. Tons of iron, calcium, niacin, and folate that we don't need and not enough (or poorly formulated) magnesium, potassium, iodine, etc. In population studies multivitamins don't have much effect even though individual supplements do.

The most important deficiencies to consider are the non-food ones: D3 and magnesium (historically came from drinking water). If you have a good diet, spend your noon hour outdoors, and take an occasional epsom bath you're good to go. If you live in a high latitude then D3 with lunch during the cloudy months may be wise. My apartment doesn't have a bath so I take 200mg magnesium glycinate with dinner.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Depends on the vitamin. Does a calmer digestive system mean no nausea? No diarrhea? There could be something in the multi you don't need that excess of was causing problems.

There are lots of varying views in the Paleosphere on the necessity of excess supplementation. Some say have your bases covers, some say it's not needed. I say do what works for you.

I take what I need and sometimes what I think I need. Mag citrate for bowels, zinc/copper for experimentation, Vit D for deficiency.
    Good question. It means less "irritation"...calmer bowel function. Hard to describe...just "mellower". Never had nausea...just "too-urgent" bowel function at times.