Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsure if I qualify for a carb refeed page

jodi29 is offline Member

Unsure if I qualify for a carb refeed

Shop Now
    The reason I'm considering this is because I've been at the same weight (155) for 8 days now. (I am 26 yo, female, 5'6", start weight 163.5, dropped one pant size) I have a desk job but on the last half hour of my lunches, I either walk ~1.5-2 miles or climb my six-story building a few times. Also, about 2-3 days a week, I do ~40 mins at the gym with 20 minute cardio session incorporating sprints and then 20 minutes of lifting. My calories range from 1100-1400 daily and carbs (from veggies and some fruit) vary from 30g-50g.

I read a few of the past carb refeed threads and was cautioned by people saying they were mostly on VLC (I am only LC at this point). I just don't know how to determine if I'm a "fat burner" yet and if I qualify for doing a refeed. Do I need to lower my carbs for a few days and then do a refeed? And how do I determine if I am a fat burner? Appreciate your help in advance!

Jody, my opinion is that your calories are too low. I would up it closer to 1600-1800 and up the carbs closer to 75.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Thanks for the reply! Going back through my food logs, it looks like my carbs were higher and I was steadily losing weight so I will do that and see what happens.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    For your height, 1100 is far too few calories. I maintain on 1200 calories/day, 400 of them being carbs... and I'm six inches shorter, 50 pounds lighter, and don't exercise.

I guess one test of fat adaptation is whether you've had and recovered from carb flu. But if you didn't have carb flu (I didn't), Mark wrote an old post on how to know if you're a fat-burner:

What Does it Mean to Be Fat-Adapted? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by oxide; 09-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sorry your application for a carb re-feed has been rejected. Please wait 30 days before reapplying.

jodi29 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Sorry your application for a carb re-feed has been rejected. Please wait 30 days before reapplying.
    Lol! Okay okay, more calories it is. Thanks everyone

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodi29 View Post
    Lol! Okay okay, more calories it is. Thanks everyone
    Just kidding by the way . More calories or a carb refeed. I'd try more calories for a bit, track your results, then try the re-feed and track again. See which works better for ya. Good luck!

jodi29 is offline Member
    Update:

I tried eating more calories and carbs as suggested above and gained weight (1lb). So then I did the carb refeed and dropped two pounds the next day. Then I immediately went back to low carb, higher fat/protein and gained a pound. I consistently stuck to the low carb diet and have been gaining and am now at 157.5. (Calories were averaging 1800 with 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs) I've still been doing regular exercise with LHT 1-2 times a week and moving slowly 3-4 days a week. I did the online calorie test to determine my BMR (1528) and maintaining calories (1835). The website said to reduce calories by 500 in order to lose weight. Today is my first day trying this. Heavy protein 140g, low carb 42g, moderate fat 84g. I also had a thyroid blood test this morning just out of curiosity. No family history of thyroid issues but I've been stuck at this weight (give or take 1-2 pounds and fluctuating) for about a month now.

Zach is offline Banned
    Dietary fat is stored as body fat in the presence of carbs. Since VLC is a pretty unsustainable diet, you have two options. One, go VLC with occasional carb refeeds. Or two, Go high carb, low fat. Some people love meat and can do option one, most cant and i would confidently say option two is the healthier option, others may disagree but that is my opinion.

This is for fat loss, if fat loss wasnt an issue then eating a more balanced macro diet is an option.

EDIT: Jodi, i saw you were talking to Moluv about handstands. She is on a high carb/low fat diet currently and losing fat. Maybe check out what she is doing.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Dietary fat is stored as body fat in the presence of carbs. Since VLC is a pretty unsustainable diet, you have two options. One, go VLC with occasional carb refeeds. Or two, Go high carb, low fat. Some people love meat and can do option one, most cant and i would confidently say option two is the healthier option, others may disagree but that is my opinion.

This is for fat loss, if fat loss wasnt an issue then eating a more balanced macro diet is an option.

EDIT: Jodi, i saw you were talking to Moluv about handstands. She is on a high carb/low fat diet currently and losing fat. Maybe check out what she is doing.
    I second this. And yes, check out Moluv's journal if you haven't already. Personally, I'm impressed with her progress in what seems like a short amount of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast