Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there other starches similar to the Japanese sweet potato? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Are there other starches similar to the Japanese sweet potato?

Primal Fuel
    I talking about the satsumaimo, purple skin kind of yellowish insides. The closest asain grocer to me is about 2 hours away so i don't get to hit them often but i did last week and bought as many of these as i could. I totally forgot how good they are. I was hoping there was something similar I could get in taste/texture of these that is readily available to me.

baked they have a kind of soft pillowy texture yet kind of denseness that is sweet but not overpowering. I want that all the time!

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Wish I could get these in the UK!!!

Isn't they're a Hawaiian version also.

From London England UK

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    The smallest kabocha (<2 lb) are pretty dense and sweet and are sold at most non-terrible markets.

There are also ube yams from the Philippines but those are probably harder to find.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried turnips, rutabagas and various types of beets (golden or red)?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Im so lucky to have access to these in abundance, my favourite food on the planet!

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    These are the best sweet potatoes without a doubt

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    I talking about the satsumaimo, purple skin kind of yellowish insides. The closest asain grocer to me is about 2 hours away so i don't get to hit them often but i did last week and bought as many of these as i could. I totally forgot how good they are. I was hoping there was something similar I could get in taste/texture of these that is readily available to me.

baked they have a kind of soft pillowy texture yet kind of denseness that is sweet but not overpowering. I want that all the time!
    At the farmer's market I go to they sometimes have a red skin or white skin with yellowish-white insides that seems to have a nice taste and consistency that is different from the two kinds you can get from the regular grocery. At this time of year for a couple of weeks they sometimes have a purple sweet potato that has very thin purple skin and purple inside. I'm hoping they'll have those next week. They're not only tasty but really pretty inside.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Those are to die for!! I like to bake them plain and unwrapped, then wrap in foil as soon as they come out of the oven, and let them sit 10-20 min so the skin peels itself away and it doesn't dry out.

Try acorn squashes, halved and baked with butter, cinnamon and a touch of maple syrup (a little bit won't do any harm!)
    If you have a few minutes- please take a look at my story, in my journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87400.html
    I do warn you, I am a copious writer.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    I wash mine, wrap in foil, cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 400*, cut open, let cool, peel the skin(it comes right off) and then cover in butter and devour.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    I was at an Asian market yesterday and you are making me wish I had grabbed some of these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast