Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did you PLAY when you were young... page 3

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For me, growing up in the 60s, it was mainly biking without (GASP) helmets, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, safety glasses and chest protectors. And yes, we got bunged up a bit and, we healed up. We drank water from the garden hose, bottled water was a silly concept back then. We had the occasional soda which was in small glass bottles and used cane sugar to sweeten.

We had dirt clod fights, did things with our bikes that they were not designed to do, BMX type moves. We explored, crawled around in storm sewers. When I got older, Palo Duro Canyon became our new playground. I was in my 30s before I camped using a tent and sleeping bag, used an old poncho liner and poncho to curl up in. The concept of camping outside under a roof, was laughable.

The Lighthouse at Palo Duro Canyon

Good times.....
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

moluv is offline Senior Member
    When I got older, Palo Duro Canyon became our new playground.

The Lighthouse at Palo Duro Canyon

Good times.....
    Did you ever get to ride the Sad Monkey Railroad at PDC? It's gone now of course but they've opened new trails to the rim. Are you still in the area? I'm from Amarillo so go to PDC often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Depends on age and location.
    As a toddler and young child I'd "hunt" sheep, toads, voles and snakes out the back of our house. Caught some toads, shrews and spiders. Not much else. I'd also dig up the garden looking for worms.
    When I moved to Spain I joined-in with the other kids building cabins and playing house. Lots of climbing and running, due to living in a teeny-tiny village and having full access to the countryside.
    When we moved to the seaside I took advantage of the beach, but living in a town was ultimately the start of a much lower activity life which just got worse from then onwards.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    Did you ever get to ride the Sad Monkey Railroad at PDC? It's gone now of course but they've opened new trails to the rim. Are you still in the area? I'm from Amarillo so go to PDC often. [/URL]
    I rode the Sad Monkey railroad many times, road the train then got an ice cream cone afterwards. And I'll really date myself here, but I rode the chairlift they used to have there many times.

Ironically, I ran across the photo below a few months ago. I'm with my mom and dad, we are below the speaker in the picture.

It is ironic because my dad was a photographer and owned a wholesale souvenir company in Amarillo back then, Baxter Lane Company. There are few pictures of the 3 of us together because he was usually behind the camera. I ran across this photo on the internet and have no clue who took it or where it came from. Just recognized the 3 of us.

While I get up to Amarillo from time to time, we moved to the Houston area about 23 years ago. I still miss the Panhandle and the "big skies" up there.
    Last edited by texas.grok; 09-14-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

moluv is offline Senior Member
    I still miss the Panhandle and the "big skies" up there.
    This old thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I grew up in Santa Barbara. For play:
    dolls and other toys requiring imagination, not batteries
    tag
    racing the length of my back yard
    riding bikes
    playing in the open space behind the house
    wandering in the sewer underground (I was too scared to go very far)
    catching frogs and polliwogs in the open space behind the house
    collecting butterflies and caterpillars
    making forts in the back yard
    sliding down the hill on cardboard
    roller skating up at the elementary school on the smooth concrete they had there
    playing on the playground equipment or the field at the elementary school
    making things with mud or sand
    I remember a dirt clod war once
    frisbee
    I remember we were barefoot all summer even on hot asphalt, even on really bad asphalt with little rocks all over it
    I remember the moms locked us out all day during the summer and wouldn't let us in the house
    I remember the moms would make us come in at dusk
    I remember the moms would tell us to put on a sweater because they were cold
    I had a dump truck and some hot wheels and my friend had a slot car set that was really fun
    I had Barbie dolls and my mom sewed clothing for them
    We had a box of fancy costumes to play with from our ballet and tap dancing performances
    We all took music lessons and dance lessons but almost nobody I know did any sports
    I did take tennis lessons for a little while
    Sometimes I would steal fabric from my mom's stash and try to sew (moms sewed our clothes back then)
    When we were older we'd ride bikes to the beach
    My sister took up surfing and I would just sit on a surfboard and watch, not actually surf
    We'd get as tan as we possibly could
    We were always dehydrated because we'd lay out in the sun all day long without any water
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123