Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basics for starting some weights page

ksagle is offline Member

Question Basics for starting some weights

Shop Now
    Hi guys,

I used to spend a fair amount of time in the gym (mostly due to my hours on a treadmill, but with some weight lifting as well). Since starting to follow PB I haven't really been to my gym - I've mostly been doing the body weight exercises at home. I've decided I'd like to get back to the gym (probably twice a week) to do some lifting. I was wondering if anyone could give me some basics about some good places to start. Do you typically do a couple of body parts one day and then the other body parts the other day? Or just a full body workout each day?

There are a million different exercises online so I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good ones to start out with. As I said, I have a bit of experience, but not a lot. I'm looking to gain some muscle and lose about 7% body fat. I'd like to improve my overall fitness.

As I mentioned in another post, I think I have a pull in my pec minor at the moment so I'll probably take it easy on that to start out, but it would be great to get a plan in place anyway! Thanks for any help!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksagle View Post
    Hi guys,

I used to spend a fair amount of time in the gym (mostly due to my hours on a treadmill, but with some weight lifting as well). Since starting to follow PB I haven't really been to my gym - I've mostly been doing the body weight exercises at home. I've decided I'd like to get back to the gym (probably twice a week) to do some lifting. I was wondering if anyone could give me some basics about some good places to start. Do you typically do a couple of body parts one day and then the other body parts the other day? Or just a full body workout each day?

There are a million different exercises online so I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good ones to start out with. As I said, I have a bit of experience, but not a lot. I'm looking to gain some muscle and lose about 7% body fat. I'd like to improve my overall fitness.

As I mentioned in another post, I think I have a pull in my pec minor at the moment so I'll probably take it easy on that to start out, but it would be great to get a plan in place anyway! Thanks for any help!
    Starting Strength, 3rd edition: Mark Rippetoe, Jason Kelly: 9780982522738: Amazon.com: Books.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    This. Even if you don't want to follow the program in the book, what it will teach you about form is alone worth the price.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

bcbcbc2 is online now Senior Member

ksagle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    This. Even if you don't want to follow the program in the book, what it will teach you about form is alone worth the price.
    Actually yes, I've seen this book before! But holy crap, I just looked it up and its over $60 plus shipping! Yowza!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    What? It's $10 on Kindle or $23 for the hard copy brah.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You can try Strong Lifts 5x5. They used to have a good manual on line of an essentially the same program.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Primal_alien is offline Member
    You gotta hit those metabolic hot zones bro!

Back, chest, triceps, abs and legs Bro!

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Check out any articles by Drew Baye or Ellington Darden.

Here is one such article from Drew that you might find useful:

The Minimum Amount Necessary | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

ksagle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_alien View Post
    You gotta hit those metabolic hot zones bro!

Back, chest, triceps, abs and legs Bro!
    #1 - what would you say is the female version of "Brah" or "bro"?

#2 - how do I DO that exactly?

RichMahogany - on Amazon Canada its $67 plus shipping. There must be a cheaper version somewhere... I'll keep looking since it seems to be very highly recommended.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast