Thread: Good Morning Posture page

Allenete is offline Senior Member

Good Morning Posture

Primal Fuel
    Just added the Good Mornings to my repertoire ... They go very well with my pull ups (assisted thus far), squats, leg presses, deadlifts and rows.

(Started in 45lb barbell, tonight did 66lb.
    Am I going too heavy too soon?)

I've read differing things on form though ... Some say legs straight (in pictures knees look almost locked) while others say to have knees slightly bent.

I find that having my knees very slightly bent helps me keep my back straight and works the hamstrings better. It just helps me tighten my core much better.

What would you guys recommend?
    Any tips at all ...

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    I find that having my knees very slightly bent helps me keep my back straight...
    Serious question: Would you keep your legs straight even if it resulted in a rounded lower back, if people told you that was the correct way to perform a good morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Serious question: Would you keep your legs straight even if it resulted in a rounded lower back, if people told you that was the correct way to perform a good morning?
    Heck no ... But just checking if having knees bent was also "bad" in itself - in which case I'd have to have a serious think about why my body just won't cooperate the "correct" way.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Slightly bent knees are fine.
    Last edited by Kharnath; 09-13-2013 at 07:30 AM.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    I used to do them when I first started working out but if I'm honest they don't make much sense to me anymore. Stiff legged deadlifts are working the same muscles but in a safer more comfortable way. JMO.

Just noticed you are already doing deadlifts, why repeat the same action with another exercise ? I think adding Good mornings is just overkill for you.

Works the back and back of legs more, or at least I think they do going by feel. I wouldn't have thought it was identical to the deadlift ...

I do live my deadlifts. If there's one thing only I have time for I make it deadlifts

P.S
    For me it *feels* safer and more engaged with knees bent.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    I just don't understand why anyone would consider doing these. The spine is designed like a pyramid with heavy load bearing vertebrae at the bottom, these are pretty rigid and not designed to do much moving. The vertebrae get smaller and more delicate as they get nearer the skull. Primal man would never have placed a load at the back of his neck and bent over with it, the body can achieve the same movement far more safely and efficiently holding the weight in front of our bodies. What possible benefit does it offer that can't be achieved far more safely with other exercises ?