Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not eating enough for weight loss?? page

Kimberly P is offline Member

Question Not eating enough for weight loss??

Shop Now
    Hello all! I am fairly new yet to PB. I am 6 weeks in. I have lost a total of 16 lbs the first month but these past 2 weeks I have been stuck at the same weight. I am wondering if its possible that I am not eating enough? I have stuck to primal eating strictly...I would guess mimimum 95%. I eat meat and veggies. I am not really a dairy person but will put a small amt of cheese on my food on occasion or use heavy cream to make my eggs and maybe will eat and apple or 2 each week but otherwise, I am meat and veggies all the way.

Here is a sample of what I am doing (I am a creature of habit so I don't vary off course too much):
    5'7", started at 209 lbs, now at 193 lbs.
    Exercise: daily walks with my dogs, my measly 5 pushups, 20 squats, and 20-25 second plank.

Food:
    Breakfast around 10:00am, 3-4 eggs scrambled with 5-6 strips of bacon. Half a pot of coffee (I know, bad).
    Dinner around 5:00pm, 4-5 oz of some meat (usually hamburger or chicken) and a pile of veggies (usually steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower).
    Not really a snacker but might have an apple or leftover veggies if I get a little hungry. I also might have a Woodchuck or a glass of wine in the evenings.

I have found since eating primal I just a not hungry. My meals are filling and satifying and I understood the rule to be if you are not hungry then don't eat. But since my weight is not moving, I am concerned that I may not be eating enough.

Any thoughts from you experts would be so much appreciated. I have a goal of being down near 150 by Christmas this year. It seems that should be easy to accomplish but I am concerned with the stopped weight loss right now.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It is very normal to experience a plateau every time you drop ~ 10% of body weight. See how it goes for another week, and if the weight does not change, then switch one thing only (increase food for example) and see if there is any impact from it over the period of 2 weeks. If not, or weight goes up change one other thing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Your whole day is like...half of one of my meals. Plug everything you eat for a day into a calculator so we have some numbers, but it sounds like you're starving.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

little12 is offline Member
    I'm going through this also right now and am planning to experiment with a calorie/carb re-feed once a week. I know from what others have told me that I'll get a little bit of the bloaty feeling after...BUT supposedly it kind of keeps your system guessing. Shakes it up. I'm struggling with being super super tired, so those 2 things are what led me to try this out. You might look into it.

Others have said to try some IF, but i'm just not a big faster. My body gets very mad. If adding a refeed day doesn't shake things up for me, another person suggested doing a 5-2 where 5 of the days were slightly higher than what i'm doing now (slightly) and then 2 of them are about half. On those half days, most of my calories would come from protein.

Anyway...just my thoughts. Good luck. The biggest thing is not to STRESS. I struggle with it also.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it looks like your intake is very low. Are you tracking calories?

I would recommend doing a refeed/higher carb and calorie day once per week or once every two weeks. If you're not tracking your calorie intake, I would recommend doing so as it will show you where you need to make adjustments.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Yeah, it looks like your intake is very low. Are you tracking calories?

I would recommend doing a refeed/higher carb and calorie day once per week or once every two weeks. If you're not tracking your calorie intake, I would recommend doing so as it will show you where you need to make adjustments.
    +1

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Pay attention to your measurements, not the scale. They don't always change in tandem.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Kimberly P is offline Member
    Well, I am now at the end of 8 weeks and still stuck. Its very frustrating. I think you guys are right. I took some of my days of food and added into a calculator and I am between 800-1000 calories per day...sometimes up to 1500. It is showing my porptions are approximately 40% fat, 40% carbs, and 20% protein. One thing I noticed that I didn't share above is I am 43yo, female. I am also taking meds for hypothyroid. Not sure if that makes any difference or not but there it is.

So...maybe I need to lower carbs and up protein? I am so confused.

I know Mark (and everything I have read on here), says in the beginning just focus on getting movement (I walk almost daily, converted by sitting desk to a standing desk, and play at the park with my grandchildren twice per week) and focus on eating good foods and avoiding grains, legumes, and processed food. I am finding it EXTREMELY easy to avoid grains and bad stuff. I dont even have much dairy..never been a big fan anyhow. I am mostly meat and veggies with a little fruit here and there.

I am just not sure what to do but I am also not giving up. Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. I think I might read the PB book again and see what I may have missed. I am also grateful for any other advice anyone wants to share.

ksagle is offline Member
    I often find the same thing and it confuses me as well. So often on here I see people say to just eat when you're hungry... but what if I'm not hungry and my calories are low? Which is more important to listen to?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Your whole day is like...half of one of my meals. Plug everything you eat for a day into a calculator so we have some numbers, but it sounds like you're starving.

Sent via F-22 Raptor
    I doubt it. It is a myth. The metabolic slowdown that comes along with reducing calories is never greater than the calorie reduction. If she isn't losing weight, it's because she is eating too much relative to her activity level.

Her food intake is small because her energy expenditure is probably less than half of yours. Your is probably around 2500-3000 kcals from what I've seen your post history is. Hers is probably 1200.

I would hold the course for another week. Weight loss is a series of "wooshes" because after awhile, you'll start retaining water. You'll still be losing fat but water weight will increase for awhile. Eventually, it'll pop and "woosh" out of you and suddenly you'll be down 2-3 pounds out of nowhere. But if you don't see anything after another week - that makes 3 weeks total - it probably is a real stall. At that point, you'll either have to eat less or start moving around more.

Looking at your post, all I can think of is "Dude, where's my protein?" A breakfast of all that eggs and bacon is around 75% calories from fat, and you won't lose a drop of body fat until you burn through all those fat calories first. I would replace that bacon with something leaner, or halve the quantity and go from there. And what about exercise? Some weight lifting and mild cardio will go miles to help you.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast