Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's about getting healthy page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

It's about getting healthy

Shop Now
    Right now I think it's time to start getting serious and commit myself to a more primal lifestyle.
    I'm starting this journal as a way to share my stories and as a contract for me to get in shape and get healthy.

11 years ago I was diagnosed with chronic heart failure. I got the flu and didn't treat my body right to get over it. The bug attacked my heart muscle and nearly killed me. (I was on the list for a heart transplant for a few weeks)... I spend a month in the hospital recovering before being send home. It took me an other 6 months to recover so far that I could participate in life again.
    right now I am at the point where I can do what I want but in a slower pace. I can go to festivals, movies, disconights, work, sports but all a bit slower.
    However I'm still not well. Many days I feel like I'm 80 instead of 30. I am tired around 7pm and achy all the way. My muscles hurt, my bones feel stiff and I just don't have the energy.

My doctors can't help me with this, so I decided to take the altenative route. I have been studying diets and other alternative treatments for a while but nothing really fits
    Many years ago I heard of the Paleo diet from a documentary on tv. I was interested but allergic to all green stuff. So I immediately ditched the idea of doing it myself. I'm a chocolate addict and a sugar junky. I can't stay of it for too long. So a diet with out sugar was unimaginable for me.

However thanks to my lovely boyfriend I was introduced into eating veggies and fruits and a new route opened up. After some serious research and reading up on primal/paleo diet, I found this website and it gave me the motivation to do the primal thing.

So last Sunday I started with my primal fitness regime... I played tennis on sunday. Monday I went for a walk. Tuesday I did some weight training and yesterday I went to play tennis again. Wednesday was my rest day because my muscles hurted all over.

For the diet it's a bit more difficult to integrate it into my doctor's order. So I'm doing a 80/20 primal now. I can't eat tons of eggs and banana's nor am I allowed to eat much salt so bacon is out as well. I'm still searching for useable food. Today will be a non-primal day for most of it because the lack of food available in the stores and at home. Tomorrow we are going to the fresh market and stock up on veggies, fruits and fish. I'm also going to try and food wheat flour replacements....

Bottom line:
    I found out a few things in these short days:
    1, My body feels more relaxed without the carbs.
    2, I don't have as much heart rythm problems with low carbs.
    3, I'm not as tired as I am with a SAD

I'm going to try to update regularly here... and maybe show some results

Myrtille is offline Member
    Hi, thank you for sharing your story.
    I hope you will feel way better with PB.
    Concerning your diet, what are your doctor's orders ?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    Concerning your diet, what are your doctor's orders ?
    Well the doctor says:
    - No more than 1,5 liter water
    - no more than 2000mg sodium a day
    - no more than 3 eggs a week
    - no more than 3 banana's a week

As you can see it's a bit difficult to integrate this with the PB but I'm ditching the eggs rule when I'm using eggs in pancakes and other meals...

I totally forgot something in my first post...
    of course the numbers that count...

Now I don't weigh my food and I don't count calories... however I'm on the scale regularly.
    I'm 1,70 m (that's about 5' 5)
    My current weight is: 77,5 Kilo...
    I could do with a loss of about 5 kilo (would be nice)...

While my path is about getting the bad days down to a minimum I would like to do that looking good...

Myrtille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    Well the doctor says:
    - No more than 1,5 liter water
    - no more than 2000mg sodium a day
    - no more than 3 eggs a week
    - no more than 3 banana's a week

As you can see it's a bit difficult to integrate this with the PB but I'm ditching the eggs rule when I'm using eggs in pancakes and other meals...
    Yes, three eggs a week is really few. Eggs are a "devil" food according to most people, including doctors.

Weekend food hunting...

Okay my first weekend into the Primal diet and it isn't easy to find food. I have to state that I'm really no fan of fruits and veggies. I'm afraid to try new things and that limits my choice greatly. (my own stupid fault)
    However we went to the fresh market and brought in some new things... Tonight we are going to try and make the coconut chicken curry from one of the e-books and tomorrow we are going to try and see how parsnip tastes...

Annoyingly I got the stomach flu so eating in overall an issue at the moment. My stomach can't seem to agree with bananas. It bloats immediately and hurts like hell... I did have a large salad this afternoon, lettuce, omelet, bacon, chicken, carrots, cashew nuts all in one bowl... it's good lunch foods...

The result I have so far with the Primal lifestyle:
    - lost 2 pounds already
    - sleeping a lot better.
    - more energy during the day
    - almost no heart rhythm issues (it's finally peaceful and quiet in that area!!!!!!)

my exercises are going fairly well:
    - yesterday I did some weight training. (My muscles hurt like hell)
    - today was a walking/household day. Get enough movement from that.
    - Tomorrow we are going to play tennis again...

Okay I found out one thing that I absolutely love about going Primal. It's absolutely salt free, there are no processed foods so there is no hidden sodium in it. I lost 3 pound just fluids I was retaining... My doctor will be so happy about this...
    Friday I had an appointment with my family doctor to get my blood checked. I told her about the Primal Blueprint, she wasn't sold on it but she could see that it could work for me. Especially since I was feeling so good after just a few days...

I still have issues with breakfast. I just don't know what to eat, especially now my body seems to reject banana's. I bought some yoghurt, I could just eat that.
    I have been thinking about IF, when I was a teenager I could do that every day but I don't think it's going to work for me as I need to eat before I take my morning meds...so I have to come up with an easy quick breakfast idea that I can do daily. And it has to be something light, I just don't see myself eating dinner left overs in the morning.

I made coconut pancakes for lunch... apparently I didn't get the right coconuts flour but they still tasted alright. It was Primal approved food and it filled me up good... After that I took some dried Mango. I think that certifies as good food.

Now I need to figure out what to eat for breakfast and lunch tomorrow...

Charlene is offline Junior Member
    One is the most important things to remove from our diets is wheat! The more whole it is the worse it is! So you hear people saying but i eat wholewheat and i am like that couldn't be any worse! Removing is not right for everyone - there is research out there based on blood type and genetics that indicates that the blood type O +/- is completely wheat intolerant but that A can tolerate some forms of wheat and that B can manage it in moderation provided they are eating in a balanced way!

My personal experience over the last two years is that the removal of wheat means that i no longer bloat or feel tired. In fact on realising that i have removed all grains except for rice (which i eat once a month or so) And i am convinced that my skin is rejuvenating itself and the lines on my face have decreased as a result of removing wheat and high carbs from my diet.

I have replaced sugar with raw honey for the last 2 years.

I think I'm starting to get the infamous carb flu. I feel shaky and dizzy even when I ate quite a bit. I had a omelet, small cubcumber, apple, a bit of yoghurt and a coconut pancake already but I'm still feeling shaky... It's a feeling I normally asociate with a lack of sugar in my body. It results in eating sweets, chocolate and everything sweet I can get my hands on.
    It's an annoying feeling because I just don't feel strong enough to even walk to the busstop or do grocery shopping.

Also it doesn't help that I'm a bit stressed...
    I have two cute kittens, they are almost 5 months, male and female. I'm now starting to worry about them being more than good friends so to say... I had hoped that I could put a trip to the vet off for another month but I'm afraid nature has other plans... I swear I love mother-nature but sometimes she can be a pain in the *ss... Also advise on this is very different which makes decisions even more difficult.... I just hope they stay little for a little while longer (gods!! it sounds like I'm talking about my kids, though I don't have any)

Anyway, besides the week feeling today is going well with the food things. Tonight we are having meatloaf and by lovely advise we are making meatloaf muffins so that I have things for lunch ready.

That's what I like about this forum. Beside the occasional jerk people are really supportive and ready to help with good answers...
    it's great...

Oh well, I have to get back to work...

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think the advice of not more than three eggs a week is silly, did the doctor give any reason for it? Also nothing wrong with salt, your body needs it.
    Anyway, good luck, you're on the right path, just find what works for you and remember to be patient. You may want to check out Het Paleo Perspectief | Het zoogdier mens beschouwd door de troebele lens van de evolutie, a good Dutch paleo resource with intelligent discussions.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast