Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: It's about getting healthy page 4

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    While waiting patiently for Mark's book to arrive. (hopefully this afternoon) I have been thinking about how I am eating and what I have learned here and in my Paleo for Dummies book.
    I decided that I haven't been doing this primal eating thing the wrong way... While I totally ditched grain and sugar (with the exception of dark chocolate and honey) I have been totally focused on food. constantly asking myself what to eat next? do I have enough primal approved food in the house?
    I can't imagine Grok worrying about that all the time, or going hunting every day even though he has food and meat available.
    I think Grok was better in managing the foods and rationing it then I am.

I need to let go of my obsession of food. I found out that now I'm not eating sugar I won't go into a sugar-hypo every time I'm hungry or not eating on set times. So I can go without food for a few hours without it causing issues.
    This is huge because it has been 10 years ago since I wasn't depending on eating every two hours to function properly.

So I noticed things I did wrong the last week or so. I have been baking pancakes, banana bread and all sorts of Paleo-chocolates to make sure I have always enough food at hand that would fill me up enough to prevent hunger issues. Like FlyingPig said these foods are extra's, sneaky calories that often are not even totally Paleo or healthy for me.

I have to get over the fact that I need all those things when I have small bites of left-over meats, fruits and veggies at hand.
    I need to try more different veggies and find out the ones I like to snack on besides carrots (can't eat carrots every day)
    I also have to start working towards eating what is in my pantry and not going to the shop every day just to buy more stuff.

These are steps I have to take that will not be easy but I hope with the distraction of my new books and the support I find on this forum that I'll manage it... I still need to loose at least 10% body-fat...

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you can really get too obsessed with foods ... the idea is that you should probably relax about it, eat with awareness as little processed as possible when you truly feel hungry, be it honey, fruits, meats, fish, eggs, tubers, veggies, etc, and move your butt for playing or working out for real. It is a long term habit so you stay healthy and thrive as long as your genetics allow you.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Don't beat yourself up too much, you're on the right track and that is the main thing. Think long term, be patient and consistent and the results will come.

Wow I have been reading PB for a few hours now. Arrived at page 82 and all I can say is Wow!!!!

The first chapter with genetic evolution is for a lab rat like me really interesting...

And yes I have come to like Gork!!

But the insulin part is making me go wow.... I'm starting to get allergic to carbs. Seriously why weren't we taught this a lab school??? Because CW is so ingrained into my mind I find myself wonder if this is all true... because if it is why doesn't the medical community intervene?
    Why doesn't the government act? They are complaining about the costs of medical care??

Is our world really that corrupt?

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    ... why doesn't the medical community intervene?
    Why doesn't the government act? They are complaining about the costs of medical care??

Is our world really that corrupt?

Ah, I miss being naive sometimes. Those were the good old days.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

reading the first chapter in Mark's book make me question things deeply.
    Genetic evolution and the activations of certain genes to make cell work specifically is something I love. I have always had a love for genetics but I'm learning something new and it creates questions.

Mark states that under specific environments and triggers certain parts of the genes can be activated to make the cells act accordingly, while the meantime still holding all the genetic information. interesting but this I knew was fact for stemcells.
    however the question forms. Can you take a cell from a muscle and replace it in an other environment with other triggers to make it into behaving like and other cell... like a liver cell?

If this is remapping your genes really work easily with food, would it be possible to eat specific food and create a specific environment that your stemcells turn specifically into heart muscle cells? or cells to restore kidney damage or brain damage?

I'm compelled to dive further back into genetics and research that part. During my laboratory education I have had a year of genetics but the influence of food was never discussed... I'm really itching to dive back into that research

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Paleotrack doesn't like dairy and will tell you you are not paleo if you eat some. It is OK with primal though, so don't be alarmed, paleotrack is not aware of primal rules.

Have you tried sauerkraut, cauliflour or other cabbages? I find them very filling.

Anyone hates mondays???? I do... I know it's not a good mind set but mondays are the worst.
    Mondays are always the first day of something new to me. I always start something on Monday...
    Today it was to be my first day to do the 4 mile walk from work. I had planned on doing it 2 or 3 times a week and it's lovely weather.... it was to be my new start...
    But of course plans were thrown around like always... Me and my chaotic life need an agenda... I have one, write all my appointments in it... and than I forget about it... apparently I have an appointment this afternoon...

This happens almost every monday.... From now on, my week starts on Wednesday, no new plans for Monday!!

Anyway... Paleo track is telling me that I'm doing strictly Primal so far today... My omelet had some cheese in it so not a Paleo score for my lunch.

Food for today:
    B; tbsp of smoked Mackerel, 2 tbsp of pulled pork, 2 carrots
    L: Mini-meatloaf, mini bacon wrapped sweet potato omelet, mini cucumber. (I love mini things for lunch, I can take different things that all form one decent size meal)

Snack: 1 apple... I'll probably snack on dried fruits and dark chocolate later today. (just can't help the snacking yet)

The plan for Dinner: salmon filet, lettuce/carrot salad and possible some sweet potatoes. for desert I'll have some fatty yoghurt with a handful of nuts and maybe some melted 80% chocolate

so for workout:
    yesterday was a relax day that I really needed. So I was planning on being very active today. Yet, with the appointment coming up I don't know yet what to do... probably some weight circuit I can do at home and race up and down the stairs a few times. The cats seem to like that...

PaleoDutch: I can't eat Sauerkraut as it is too salty for me, I love cauliflour and just bought a huge green cabbage (no idea what to do with it yet)

Mr. Anthony, i like to think that I'm not really naive. I have seen my fair share but to be honest I am really shocked by what Mark is saying in the Primal Blueprint. Large sections I knew off but certain things made me wonder how much are assumptions and how much is true. I still can't believe that the world has really come to this... I'm already printing out all the suggested research reports to read once I finished the book... I want to be well educated by the time I see my doctor.

FlyingPig and FrenchFry: thanks for the kind words...I guess I'm being too inpatient. Normally when I stop eating sugar I loose the 4 pounds I really want to go away quickly. Now for 3 weeks the scale just gives the same number. I start to wonder if the thing isn't broken!
    That was until I found out all the sneaky calories and carbs that food their way into my stomach...

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hello Marielle, you're welcome
    Yeah, snacking might be an issue. As far as I understand it, inter-prandial periods (between the end of the digestion of one meal and ingestion of the next) are important to keep snack free unless you truly feel miserable. You give a greater chance to run on available free fatty acids in this way. As soon as you eat a carby snack, a moderate increase of insulin will prevent fats from your fat store to be freed and made available to organs and muscles. You enter the storage mode, which is good in the absolute, we need to enter that mode every time we eat for sure!! But if you plan to rely on your body fat, avoid the snacking. Even a fatty snack is probably not aligned with such a plan because you will first use the ingested fat for energy right away. Best is to be snack free between meals and keep meals well apart and most of all nutritious so you don't feel like snacking at all!

PS: I am at hour 40 without any food. A good 2 days fast for resetting teh system once in a while Not hungry at all, relying on fat stores. I am not planning to eat a very big meal tonight to compensate. I will resume normal eating and will probably be in a slight caloric deficit over the course of the week. That is what matters to me.

Myrtille is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use paleo track and it says I am a strict primal, even if I eat dairies.
    But it does't like honey or dark chocolate

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast