Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: It's about getting healthy page 2

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    FlyingPig thanks for the link. It might be very useful. I never knew Paleo/Primal was so big in Holland..

Okay, I'm feeling very weak with hunger right now... I didn't eat enough yesterday for dinner and this morning for breakfast. Downstairs there is candy available and it keeps running through my head. I'm fighting it with everything I have, especially because I'm not having a Primal approved dinner tonight...

Yesterday was a good day... We made mini-meatloafs. It was brilliant I have lunch or breakfast for at least 4 days now...

Friday and Saturday my boyfriend will be gone so I have the kitchen to myself. I think I'm going to spend Saturday trying out new things... hopefully be then I can eat banana's again and make banana bread.

I'm proud of myself! I spend my free hours in the kitchen to try and figure out how all these new ingredients work. I have never tried to make banana pancakes before (that was a bit of a fail but the result tasted okay) I also made pancakes from eggs, almond flour, coconut powder and honey. that worked better but it turned out too dry because I used too much coconut.

I'm thinking of using coconut milk in the pancakes but I do not know if that works...

On the other hand I was disappointed in my muscle strength. Besides the pull-ups I tried to follow Mark's fitness plan. I couldn't hold a knee-hand plank for more than 10 seconds, I could do only 19 wall-pushups before my arms burned and squats were even worse...only 10 until my legs burned up...

anyway... there is work to do

today is a grappy day... I think it's final... I can't handle wheat (and/or Gluten).
    Yesterday evening we had lasagna. I know it's not primal but I never agreed on doing primal 100%. The lasagna was really nice but I feel so bad today. My heart rythm issues are back and I have a severe headache... so it's final. no more gluten for me...

anyway, today is going to be a lazy day... my boyfriend will make egg/veggies pie tonight. He'll be eating the crust...

While I'm not terribly overweight I have to loose some body fat... I have a fancy scale that also measures BF and while I don't trust it to give a correct measure it gives an indication. I used it yesterday and was shocked... it says that I have 30% body fat... that is 3% more than a year ago!!!
    Also that's 21kilo of my total weight... so if I want to get to a healthier BF of 15% I have to set a goal of weighing 67 kilo... I haven't weight that since my early teens!!!!!
    No heavy goals right now....

my goals for this year:
    - below the 75 kilo...preferably 70 kilo, that's been my target ever since I was 16...
    - being able to walk an hour without sore feet and back....
    - surviving my doctors new low medication schedule (he is cutting back quite drastically and while that it's a good thing it's bloody scary!!)
    - no more days I feel 80....

I don't thing that's too much to ask until christmas...

so for food, today wasn't completely Primal, I had swedish cracker with cheese this morning, the rest of the day was fruit and egg...Dinner with be egg-pie with veggies...

two difficult days ahead of me... For the first time since I started Primal I'm going to be alone at home.
    Normally this means two things. A high stress level, because I don't do well being alone in the house yet and two I binge on chocolate like crazy...
    When I'm alone I normally buy a few big slaps of chocolate and eat them while watching movies...

This time I don't want to do that but for the first time since I started the diet I'm starting to crave chocolate again... and I have to do grocery shopping today!!! urgh...

What I am going to enjoy in this two days alone is the chance to try out new recipes without somebody interfering. The kitchen is mine for a change...

alright I'll update later on the food stuff... I'm off printing recipes...

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Have fun in the kitchen, Marielle. I've found primal cooking is not that hard when I have good ingredients but it certainly is different from cookie baking.

Aingealag is offline Member
    Hi Marielle,

Don't worry about the low-carb flu; it will pass soon. I had it really bad, but more in the sense of being grumpy. My poor boyfriend... het got the worst of it. As far as gluten is concerned, I would really advise you to quit it completely and don't replace it with non-glutinous grains. Just replace the grains with veggies. Lots of veggies. I didn't start noticing the benefits until I went completely gluten-free and 80% grain free. No more racing heart after lunch, better sleep, more balanced energy levels...

For breakfast ideas, just Google 'Paleo breakfast recipes' and you'll find plenty of options. How about dinner for breakfast? I like to make an omelet with loads of veggies. Hmmmm delicious You can just add more veggies and reduce the egg to 1, although I have my doubts regarding the "only 3 eggs per week" advice. I hope your doctor doesn't still think that fat is bad and that eggs raise (bad) cholesterol... I'm Dutch too and I know that doctors can be a little old-fashioned when it comes to nutrition advice!

Oh and regarding the chocolate; clean out the pantry of normal, sugary chocolate and get dark choc instead. The occasional piece (I now LOVE 85% dark choc) is actually good for you. Just don't eat it too often and you'll be fine.

But most of all, congratulations on taking control of your health, it'll be a great journey

Cheers en groeten

Wendy
    Last edited by Aingealag; 09-20-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Good morning everybody...

Annieh, the problem is that I'm no cook and clumpsy in the kitchen so it will take some practice.

Wendy thanks for the positive message. My doctor wasn't negative about the Primal idea, she figures as long as I feel well it's okay.
    I get grumpy as well when I can't have chocolate. It usually starts after a week or two.
    I'm wondering how you ended up in Perth? must be lovely there. A friend went to travel Aussie land for 10 months, it looked so beautiful...

Primal eating causes one thing! I can't sleep longer then 6 a.m.!!!! It's bloody annoying but it's 8.30am on a Saturday and I'm already cleaning my house.
    Not to mention that my two cats have an issue with closed doors and start scratching at the door at 5.30am.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to eat today. I'm browsing for easy dinner ideas but most things are so much work...

Yesterday I stopped by my local butcher to pick up my order. I asked about where the meat was coming from because it's blood expensive and I didn't see a sign of grass-fed meat. However it turned out that the extra money was well paid as they have their own farmers that supply them. they know exactly where the meat is coming from and that they cows and pigs are pastured.
    So that's good...

I have been so busy already that I have had my work out and hunting trip for one day.
    I have been cleaning the house, doing laundry and refreshing the sheets this morning, after that I went hunting for essential items like coconut flour (I finally found it).... I even found maple syrup. and bought flaxseed don't know what to do with that yet but I'll figure it out.)

so not I'm going to sit my lazy butt on the sofa and watch the F1 qualifying and browse for recipes to tried later...

I'm being very productive this weekend...
    I've got banana bread baking in the oven, I have eggs boiling to make scottish eggs for lunch. I still have to clean the carrots so that I can eat veggies today... I really suck as eating veggies...

I also realized that I'm stuck on 77,8 kilo... it's my stuck weight for the last three years... I guess I'm not moving enough or eat too much dried fruit and snacks. I have to cut back on what I'm eating but first I have to figure out what I like to eat for veggies because I'm always hungry at the moment...

I found out that a good friend of mine has switched to a wheat free diet recently as well. It's such a coincidence because she is coming for a dinner party here next weekend. We are making coconut-chicken curry from on of the free recipe-books.

I'm starting to think about making more smoothies as a substitute for breakfast or buy myself a juicer as an early christmas gift to live on healthy juices more... they are still bloody expensive...

anyway... I've got laundry to do and maybe a bit of shopping....

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast