Thread: mobility, flexibility, foam roller, lordosis, anterior pelvic tilt page

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I have recently gotten into strength training and have been accessing a lot of online resources to gain knowledge and information. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of the really good strength training resources (stronglifts.com, tmuscle.com, dieselcrew.com) place a high importance on mobility, flexibility and range of motion exercises. They seem to treat flexibility, mobility and ROM as part of the foundation of health that fitness can be built upon. I like this notion but never paid any attention to flexibility, mobility and ROM until now.

I have had issues in the past with tight IT band and hip flexors and overall inflexibility and limited ROM. I also have a sketchy lower back. After learning about physiologicla problems I self-diagnosed myself with anterior pelvic tilt and lordosis. I hear strengthening abdominal muscles help correct anterior pelvic tilt and lordosis. Any thoughts?

I'm also thinking about getting a foam roller for the IT band and other soft tissue work. Have any of you used a foam roller in the past? Did it work for you?

Are there some other good flexibility and mobility resources out there? I heard the DVD "Magnificent Mobility" is supposed to be great. Any one have an opinion on it?

I know I would be interested in a post from Mark about flexibility, mobility and range of motion. Anyone else?

Tigerllo is offline Junior Member

Hi! I am actually trained as a massage therapist and I have had a lot of the same problems that you do. It is not necessarily your flexibility that you need to worry about. The reason that you have pain is because your body is out of alignment. As long as the misalignment continues, no amount of stretching will fix the problem. I would recommend that you look into some books by Pete Egoscue. I am fortunate to have an Egoscue center by my office so I work with trained therapists. I havent had an ache or pain in almost 2 years. Even my therapists are amazed at the change in my lordosis and my rotation in my hip is almost completely gone so I dont have the IT band issues anymore. You will be amazed how you feel once you fix the underlying problems.

Aegle is offline Junior Member

I agree that solving the underlying problem is the most important thing...

But if you happen to have a foam roller lying around, they sure feel great on sore hamstrings, IT bands, and glutes! No idea how beneficial they actually are. How's that for a totally non-scientific review? =)

chowza is offline Member

Egoscue is good stuff. And the foam roller can be a useful tool for working the kinks out of tight muscles and fascia, but--to add another completely non-scientific point of view to Aegle's--don't go too crazy with it. It just seems like the kind of thing one could easily overdo...

I'd also highly, highly recommend finding a good Feldenkrais instructor and taking a few individual sessions (and/or group lessons). It'll get you moving and thinking about movement and flexibility in a very different way.

Check out my blog here.