Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do we feel about sweet potatoes for fat loss? page

jilly is offline Member

How do we feel about sweet potatoes for fat loss?

Primal Fuel
    I intermittent fast everyday, mostly because I just don't get hungry until lunch time. I would IF even if I didn't know that it was a thing haha anyways, I've read that if you IF, that you can get away with eating a little lax when you do finally eat. My favorite meal lately has been (kinda weird.. but) scrambled eggs with a little bit of butter, and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon. This is almost like a cheat meal to me, its super satisfying and I could eat it every day. But if the sweet potato would hinder weight loss, I won't make it a regular part of my meals. Does anyone else make starchy carbs a part of their everyday diet and still lose weight?

I'm about 25 lbs away from goal, if that helps. Trying to lose about 8-10% body fat. Have been trying to do low carb with once a week refeeds but I feel that if I could just incorporate low amounts of the carbs during the week, I wont feel so deprived by the time Friday gets here. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also, I don't work out often, was doing a 3x/week weight training sesh but have fallen off the wagon. Gonna start back up soon.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Try em 3x/week around your workout and see how that goes for 6-8 weeks. Re-evaluate at that time.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I've lost fat/weight eating sweet potatoes. But I only ate them after strength workouts.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jilly View Post
    I intermittent fast everyday, mostly because I just don't get hungry until lunch time. I would IF even if I didn't know that it was a thing haha anyways, I've read that if you IF, that you can get away with eating a little lax when you do finally eat. My favorite meal lately has been (kinda weird.. but) scrambled eggs with a little bit of butter, and a baked sweet potato with cinnamon. This is almost like a cheat meal to me, its super satisfying and I could eat it every day. But if the sweet potato would hinder weight loss, I won't make it a regular part of my meals. Does anyone else make starchy carbs a part of their everyday diet and still lose weight?

I'm about 25 lbs away from goal, if that helps. Trying to lose about 8-10% body fat. Have been trying to do low carb with once a week refeeds but I feel that if I could just incorporate low amounts of the carbs during the week, I wont feel so deprived by the time Friday gets here. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also, I don't work out often, was doing a 3x/week weight training sesh but have fallen off the wagon. Gonna start back up soon.
    Dumb question, I am sure but what is a carb refeed? I keep seeing people saying that but have no idea what it is and why you would want to do it. Thanks.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Dumb question, I am sure but what is a carb refeed? I keep seeing people saying that but have no idea what it is and why you would want to do it. Thanks.
    You eat VLC most of the time but eat a ton of carbs every so often to reset hormone levels.

Regarding sweet potatoes, I have been eating them occasionally lately with lots of butter and no protein after a fast to promote autophagy, but that is beyond this question.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

jilly is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Not a dumb question! Some people think that when you go low carb for a long time (several weeks/months) your leptin levels fall. Leptin is a hormone that controls hunger. When you cut calories or carbs for too long, leptin falls, telling your body you need to eat. The idea of a carb refeed is to eat sweet potatoes and white rice for one day out of the week (or whenever you may feel weak or that your hunger is getting too out of control), or maybe a couple times a week depending on how lean you are. The leaner you are, the more the need for a refeed. It just helps to keep hunger at bay, boost metabolism and leptin, and it also helps psychologically. There is probably a lot more to explaining the concept of the refeed, but that is the gist of it.

hartlvxmp is offline Junior Member
    I only ate them after strength workouts.

Uselis is online now Senior Member
    Couple questions I have:

1) How much potatoes or carb grams usually enough after strength trainning session which lasts around 40 min and is basically bodyweight pull ups and dips with short rest time? I imagine it should be way less then regular weight lifting. Just for increasing strength and keeping energy high. I am 187cm and 78kg 25 yo male if that matters.

2) When eating carbs after workout do I have to compose it with lean cuts of meat or it doesn't matter as long as I am eating moderate carbs, not higher then 150g post work out?

Would be very thankfull if someone would help with that.

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    I always lost weight best on low carb, however, I just finished a Whole 30 (very strict primal/paleo), eating sweet potatoes and/or squash daily. I lost 8 lbs in a month, which is pretty good for me.

I was apprehensive at first, but it seemed to work very well, and I didn't have energy issues that I often had with very low carb eating. That was my personal experience. I was surprised by it. You may have to experiment a bit.

I also ate 3 meals a day as per the Whole 30 protocol, which was not easy for me, as I tend to be a natural 1-2 meal a day person. You never know. If what you're doing has temporarily stalled, mix it up a bit.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I eat sweet potatoes every day and I take no concern over whether it's around a workout or anything. When I want to lose weight, I eat less and do more interval training.

It's not really about the carbohydrate grams. It's about the acellular carbohydrates and the poor industrial foods (like vegetable oils) that harm our health and mess up our biochemistry. Don't ever consider a meal of eggs and sweet potatoes as a cheat. It is simply food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast